Thread: Walking groups and cattle

4wd

Walking groups and cattle

I was watching a bunch of about 12 going through mine this morning, no wonder incidents happen.
    They are fairly used to walkers but this lot all bunched up together like a group of Roman soldiers, and went through waving maps and kagoules about - looked like they dropped from an alternative universe - definitely needed investigating, which was duly done.

Maybe they just smelled the fear ...

Big Vern

Re: Walking groups and cattle

nowt as queer as folk,,
    then i suppose they dont know that cattle are best kept calm and un agitated if you want them to do any thing..
    wave a cagoule at some of ours and they would eat it.. andthe owner

chipsngravy

I have signs up warning dog walkers that cattle see them as a threat, but none take notice. Other day I chuckled when the yearling heifers played chase with a middle aged couple and their dog !!!!! Its their mums with calves at foot that don't mess about, next field down.

But do they take note of the signs....NO

If they walked down my drive 300yrds turned right, then another 300yrds down a nice country lane they pick up where that footpath brings you out. Without the danger of walking through stock.

"Its our right so we'll go across the fields !!!!"

linga

last year whilst walking in Snowdonia we discovered we shared a field with a largish group of sucklers complete with widely spread calves and a fairly active bull....being as the proper path would take us through the middle of this lot and being a complete chicken I "discovered" an alternative path, which seemed to be a safe alternative as some of our group wouldnt be able to outrun said animals.

It did set me thinking though about the dangers and what could be done about it...obviously impossible to keep animals out of all fields with footpaths and general public knowing nothing about animal behaviour. I think its a difficult problem to resolve....could shut the footpaths !!!

hilly bill

Quote Originally Posted by chipsngravy View Post
    I have signs up warning dog walkers that cattle see them as a threat, but none take notice. Other day I chuckled when the yearling heifers played chase with a middle aged couple and their dog !!!!! Its their mums with calves at foot that don't mess about, next field down.

But do they take note of the signs....NO

If they walked down my drive 300yrds turned right, then another 300yrds down a nice country lane they pick up where that footpath brings you out. Without the danger of walking through stock.

"Its our right so we'll go across the fields !!!!"
    If you have a sign up and something nasty happens you could be in trouble as the sign is a admission that you know your animals are dangerous

Nithsdale farmer

Quote Originally Posted by hilly bill View Post
    If you have a sign up and something nasty happens you could be in trouble as the sign is a admission that you know your animals are dangerous

Maybe a sign should say "Livestock - you enter at own risk. Livestock owner/landowner takes no responsibility for persons damaged in case of accident" ? its a fair warning, and it cant be our (a farmers fault) if some t*wt takes a dog into a field with cows and young calves, when theres no need to be in that field!

Afterall you go into my local country supplies store, and go through the back to the feed bags and buckets are kept theres a sign says "no un-authorised personel beyond this point" and youve to put on a hi-viz jacket.... if you wander through yourself without hi-viz and get hit by the teleporter - its your fault, their back is legally covered.

hilly bill

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale farmer View Post
    Maybe a sign should say "Livestock - you enter at own risk. Livestock owner/landowner takes no responsibility for persons damaged in case of accident" ? its a fair warning, and it cant be our (a farmers fault) if some t*wt takes a dog into a field with cows and young calves, when theres no need to be in that field!

Afterall you go into my local country supplies store, and go through the back to the feed bags and buckets are kept theres a sign says "no un-authorised personel beyond this point" and youve to put on a hi-viz jacket.... if you wander through yourself without hi-viz and get hit by the teleporter - its your fault, their back is legally covered.
    Yes if i had my way the sign would read "keep out because its mine i bought it i own it and i own what is growing in it and everything else in it is mine and is no bussines of yours so piss off " but sadly i wouldnt get away with that in 2012.

Mayo

Don't put up signs. You can put up a sign saying bull in field but that is it.

If anything happens you never knew the stock to be excitable or aggressive.

I don't think you are allowed to put up any sign that could be seen as seeking to discourage access.

My mother often feeds our horses from plastic bags, usually bread.

As a result the horses now chase anyone carrying any kind of bag or rucksack.:lolk:

CairngormBeef

+1

We have a lot of walkers in this area, but as far as I'm concerned my cows aren't agressive, so why would I need signs..........

People have the right to walk through my fields but their safety while doing so is also their responsibility, it is up to them to know what potential dangers may occur if they fail to conduct themselves (and their pets.....) properly.

Filthy Rich

Nowt makes you walk faster than the sign in a field we had to cross in Spain a few years ago:

"Danger: Fighting Bulls are bred here!"

beeker

what about a sign saying, careful now instead of warning?

Sh3pherdess

I just have a sign that says Bull in field. The pic of the bull on the sign is extremely evil looking and gives my own bull more kudos

CairngormBeef

Quote Originally Posted by beeker View Post
    what about a sign saying, careful now instead of warning?
    Down with this sort of thing......

chipsngravy

Thing is my cows are cows...... who really know what goes on in there head, there not dangerous round me.
    But how can anyone predict how a cow will or won't react when dog walkers stumble across a calf lying in the hedge cop that lets out a call to mum 100yrds away ???

I looked in to this, you could be a crafty bastard and not put a sign up for fear of getting into trouble IF something happened. But I fell better with myself for putting the sign up saying CAUTION ! then if something did happen I know I tried to point out to the the danger.

My Sign

Dog walkers
    Caution !
    Cattle see dogs as a threat
    If in any doubt
    walk around the herd
    not through them

davidroberts30

if you ont put a sign up your failing to warn others so yer stuffed either way

Joules

The NFU advice, which presumably was cleared by their legal bods, for signage, is ‘Your dog can scare or harm farm animals – Keep it on a lead around livestock, but let go if chased by cattle.’

b slicker

Most cattle nowadays are checked by someone (who they probably know) on a bike or vehicle. Only a small proportion of farmers will check them on foot, so it's likely that most cattle will be nervous of folk on foot, and particularly if they have a dog.

Unless they're on a busy walking route.

Marches Farmer

I put a notice in the farm holiday cottage pointing out that when footpaths began they'd have been the quickest route for the locals to reach the church/blacksmith/etc. and they'd have known all about the livestock they might encounter in the fields and that if they (the holidaymakers) aren't familiar with farm livestock behaviour it's best to avoid the stock. (I also do a neat little paragraph in my welcome speech about my son taking a dustbin lid with him when checking one of our old rams and pointing out that ram skulls are six times as thick as a human one and that they're not called a 'ram' for nothing.) Most folk choose not to walk round the farm - phew!

socksitis

May I ask, when we park our cars in a car park the sign generally reads something like "at your own risk, taking no responsibilities of loss or damage" etc. If this is a disclaimer, then can we or should we as stock keepers do the same in this liabless (cannot spell!) society?

Nithsdale farmer

Quote Originally Posted by socksitis View Post
    May I ask, when we park our cars in a car park the sign generally reads something like "at your own risk, taking no responsibilities of loss or damage" etc. If this is a disclaimer, then can we or should we as stock keepers do the same in this liabless (cannot spell!) society?

Thats exactly what i was getting at in my previous post.

When in normal life - joe public does something at THEIR own risk, but step onto a farm and be a t**t in a field of bullocks or whatever and suddenly they are fault-free and its us farmers who get the blame and a legal sting

If you cant stop people walking through fields, you should legally be allowed to state someone enters entirely at their own risk. Thankfully here, folks stick to tracks and roads - most of the time.