Thread: Fert & Cutting Date?

Clive Tee

Fert & Cutting Date?

I put 60kg / acre of 20 10 0 on my Westerwold late May and I need to cut it very soon. It's grown a lot quicker than I thought it would...shouldn't be surprised really!!

Anyhow, I can't remember the calculation for when you can cut after applying fert. In practice, would it be OK to cut next week? That'll be 3 weeks or slightly over that.

PS. When I applied the fert, it rained immediately. Will be doing large round bales silage.

TIA

BigW

Re: Fert & Cutting Date?

You will have put on 24 units N and uptake will be up to 2 units a day so it will be fine.

vinnie123

get it analysed by your feed rep, should be free and well worth it imo
    usually 6 weeks spread to cut

Clive Tee

Thanks.

Ritchie

Also you need to factor in 10 days or so for uptake

So 24 units at 2 units per day if its warm moist growing weather plus 10 for uptake = 12+10 = 22 days.

Ritchie

Forage Trader

Giving it a good wilt helps, not easy in this weather

col555

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    Also you need to factor in 10 days or so for uptake

So 24 units at 2 units per day if its warm moist growing weather plus 10 for uptake = 12+10 = 22 days.

Ritchie
    Thats my working out to.

multi power

2 units for every good days groth, as forage trader says a good wilt
    we have cut silage well before all nitrogen gone plenty of times, always wilted, 40+% dm n always greatbaled silage
    would expect a disaster if its wet

Clive Tee

Quote Originally Posted by Forage Trader View Post
    Giving it a good wilt helps, not easy in this weather
    mmmmm......I was going to dodge this rain, so 24 hours wilt only! May have to leave it now, but it's heading which you're not supposed to do with WW according to the literature. Never used it before, beginning to wish I'd put in IRG or something like that.

Ploughman1963

What about letting it go to head, thrash it about a bit with the tedder to shed some seed and harrow roll the aftermath? I have a similar situation with some WW and that was my plan.

alex2

I've got the same situation with westerwolds, it was only sown 8 weeks ago and its already putting a seed head up.

I checked it on Tuesday and the flag leaf was showing on most plants, 3 days later 10% of it had gone to seed. Getting to mower going this morning.

If there is a seed head does that mean those plants wont regrow, or does the seed have to ripen a bit first before that would happen?

Like you clive I am wishing i had gone for IRG instead, but we shall have to see what happens in a few weeks.

I was wondering how much fert to put on for second cut, its hard trying to balance the fact that westerwolds is highly efficient at lifting N and it putting up a seed head so soon. If I put a lot on though I a worried that there will still be high levels of N in the leaf by the next time it goes to seed.

alex2

just been out and its far too wet to mow, and the weather forecast has been updated to rain every day for the next week.

I might be borrowing your plan ploughmaster, if this wet weather continues at least there will be good rates of germination. How many times would you think it would need tedding to drop a decent amount of seed.

vinnie123

Quote Originally Posted by alex2 View Post
    just been out and its far too wet to mow, and the weather forecast has been updated to rain every day for the next week.

I might be borrowing your plan ploughmaster, if this wet weather continues at least there will be good rates of germination. How many times would you think it would need tedding to drop a decent amount of seed.
    once, i presume your cutting with moco so that beats it up then tedder thrashes it then rake has a go and some is gonna fall out with the baler/forager too

Clive Tee

Quote Originally Posted by alex2 View Post
    If there is a seed head does that mean those plants wont regrow, or does the seed have to ripen a bit first before that would happen?
    I asked about this and apparently if WW forms a seed head, it'll still regrow after cutting, but if it's shedding seed then it thinks it's done it's job and packs up. Looks like that might happen as we can't cut any time soon, so I'm going to take a big cut when we can and start over again with something new.