Thread: 8m 750A

Clive

8m 750A

6m was as big as they get I know but could a 4m or 6m be stretched to 8m ? is the central frame of a 4m the same as that on a 6m ?

Just starting to think about CTF and if we ever went that way the only way I can see it working for us would be with 8m drill, if one doesn't exist maybe the welder could sort that !

YELROM

Re: 8m 750A

pig fighters post "every picture tells a story" says lloyd have an 8m 750 drill in

brit

Whats so magical about the 750 A others make an 8m machine Weaveing etc

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by brit View Post
    thats a entire thread on it's own ! and there are a few such threads on here

in a nutshell I would say lack of soil disturbance is the biggest difference along with much better depth control than most competitors

rightly or wrongly it is the disc coulter i want to dd with probably alongside a tine from either dale or seed hawk in the future both of which are available in 8m

York

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    thats a entire thread on it's own ! and there are a few such threads on here

in a nutshell I would say lack of soil disturbance is the biggest difference along with much better depth control than most competitors

rightly or wrongly it is the disc coulter i want to dd with probably alongside a tine from either dale or seed hawk in the future both of which are available in 8m
    Clive,
    I would just put up with the 759 for a couple of years and after getting a stable system see for the next step. This just is 2+ years of patience.
    As far as I know are the central frames of the JD750, the EU style, basically the same.
    Have success in the learning curve.
    A old professor said following: "A good farmer is the one, which does every day the least faults!" How true.
    York-Th.

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by brit View Post
    Nothing magical but these are the key good points;

1. Depth control on each coulter is independent. So if there is a wheeling that is 2" deeper than the rest of the ground the seed will still be placed at the same depth. Same for side slopes.

2. Down pressure is on strong springs and hydraulic operated. Some seed drills have terrible downpressure springs and can't keep consistent contact in a no till situation. Rapid and Horsch springs are not very good for no till.

3. You take the depth control from the same place the coulter puts the seed - a lot of others take depth control from the press wheel even 12" away.

4. It will firm the seed in before firming the soil - so seed to soil contact is always good and you don't pack soil above the seedling. I think this can help against slugs a little but it will give reliable establishment.

5. Seed covering is a separate operation to depth control etc. so you play about with this. You can buy add ons to flick soil over the slot rather than trying to press wet soil on top of it.

It has its faults but if maintained well I think its the most accurate drill but equally it can be learning curve and 20% of the time I sometimes feel I could do with a tine drill.