Thread: Lincoln red x redpol

Lightbulb Lincoln red x redpol

Just after some opinions on crossing the two breeds. If I had cows of both breeds what would be the pros and cons of the the opposite bull on each. I like the idea of breeding some pedigree animals hence why I would probably stick with them bulls. Also in the future when I have my numbers up I could change to a different bull but they must be able to outwinter and most importantly be easy calving on them cows. Any knowledge would be appreciated

Re: Lincoln red x redpol

The original Lincoln Red is an endangered breed and I would not want to be using any nice cows to produce crossbred calves.

Quote Originally Posted by Cag View Post
    Just after some opinions on crossing the two breeds. If I had cows of both breeds what would be the pros and cons of the the opposite bull on each. I like the idea of breeding some pedigree animals hence why I would probably stick with them bulls. Also in the future when I have my numbers up I could change to a different bull but they must be able to outwinter and most importantly be easy calving on them cows. Any knowledge would be appreciated
    If you are looking for Red Polls, Stephen Prescott, Scarborough near Driffield is your man.
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    The original Lincoln Red is an endangered breed and I would not want to be using any nice cows to produce crossbred calves.
    I have a few p lincoln reds already and when things quieten down a bit I will be expanding them but I do also like the redpoll and they are much cheaper to acquire. I have put some redpolls to the lincoln bull and they turned out well I was just wondering what would make the better calf either putting a redpoll cow to lincoln red bull or the other way round. I know there would probably be more money in them using maybe an Angus or lim bull so just after people's views