Thread: Red diesel

Red diesel

There was something about red diesel in the chancellors statement, did anyone see it?
    jack caley

Re: Red diesel

Quote Originally Posted by NFU website
    Red Diesel
    The Chancellor announced a call for evidence on the non-agricultural use of red diesel, particularly in the context of
    the impact on air quality in urban areas. We recognise and appreciate that the Chancellor has excluded agricultural
    use from this call for evidence. The NFU will however carefully consider where the wider use of red diesel is of
    importance to the agricultural industry and respond to the call for evidence accordingly.

Rather a strange point

i suppose construction equipment ,road compressors generators etc will all be running red in urban areas . those compressors can kick out a fair bit of soot

Could be the latest way of getting rid of the concession.
    If they start having to use petrol, it will cost a fortune.
    In any case our fuel suppliers said red came originally from the same tank as white.
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    In any case our fuel suppliers said red came originally from the same tank as white.
    jack caley
    I presume the "red diesel" is tax exempt. On this side of the pond, the tax exempt fuel always came from the same fuel delivery driver - the driver would just add the dye to it as he was filling your tank.

They got rid of using marked fuel (too many people using it who shouldn't) and require farmers to submit records for each machine as part of their income tax reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    i suppose construction equipment ,road compressors generators etc will all be running red in urban areas . those compressors can kick out a fair bit of soot
    Nothing like the elderly bus in Newcastle I saw on Monday......driver giving it the wellie, back of the bus disappeared in a black cloud......when it reappeared the back of the bus was plastered with black soot.
    Makes you a bit mad when you are driving along in your fuel miser of a diesel car that visits the city perhaps once every three weeks, but you are getting the blame for the pollution..
    p.s.
    The bus was nearly empty!

Public service Buses don't run on red , they run on white but a get a rebate. Thew problem I think the chancellor was talking about was trains, there has been concern that in the vicinity of railway stations and particularly termini where the engines may be idling for prolonged periods particulate levels may be very high. Especially as most trains are quite old and certainly not running Tier 6 , in fact fact not Tier 1 . They do run on red diesel
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Public service Buses don't run on red , they run on white but a get a rebate. Thew problem I think the chancellor was talking about was trains, there has been concern that in the vicinity of railway stations and particularly termini where the engines may be idling for prolonged periods particulate levels may be very high. Especially as most trains are quite old and certainly not running Tier 6 , in fact fact not Tier 1 . They do run on red diesel
    Yep...
    But my point was emissions......not who uses “Red”.
    Buses ....built to last a long time and be repairable, much cheaper to maintain and keep running than a modern Tier 6. Perfectly feasible for a bus to be 20 ....30 years old no problem. The engine designed perhaps a decade before that when fuel was cheap and emissions didn’t matter.
    Contrasted to a modern diesel car......total farce.

If their point is to cut pollution, they just need to look skywards. That's where tons, not litres of fossil fuels are burned in every flight. Just look on Flightradar to see the thousands of planes in the sky 24/7.
    Wrongful use - there are already laws to cover this but there are too many grey areas.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

I would suspect the bus I saw was using rather more than the average jet passenger on a mile for mile per passenger basis.
    Given that the bus was virtually empty, fuel per passenger per mile travelled on a jet would actually be quite small.
    Interestingly Newcastle runs a small fleet of Full size electric buses on one route.....now you can argue long and hard about the pollution of generating electricity to charge road going vehicles....but a renewable source should be able to be sorted...compulsory harvesting of gas from city sewage bio digesters...etc.
    Another interesting thing that Newcastle are up to.....road junctions in the city centre that were opened up with bus lanes over the years to allow the easy flow of traffic are being altered.....scrap some of the car lanes....alter the pedestrian crossing lights to give the majority of time over to pedestrians crossing rather than traffic flowing, result? Stationery traffic....followed by tooth sucking local politicos giving us the full.....killer diesels should be banned...(well not until we get a chance to extract some tax ((steal)) from the innocent members of the public who are trying to get to the city centre shops to spend their hard won cash)
    Want to see some city pollution???
    Try Cairo!