Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disco 2 - Change it for what?

part_timer

Disco 2 - Change it for what?

I have an 03 Disco II ES with just south of 100k on the clock and have been wondering what to change it for, had it a few years now.

I do have a 14ft IW livestock trailer and used to need the 3500kg towing capacity, but this isnt really a priority now tbh.

The replacement needs to be for around the same money, or a smallish top-up, and not be prone to blowing up random parts of itself, thats about it really.

I do favour a crew cab pick-up of some description, we currently have 7-seats but its not really a necessity these days.

Thanks in advance

PT

MF6485

Re: Disco 2 - Change it for what?

Better the devil you know I reckon- whats the point in changing it for something of very similar money?

Before I read that bit- best choice would be put 10k with it and get a tidy low milage Disco 3.

part_timer

Quote Originally Posted by MF6485 View Post
    Better the devil you know I reckon- whats the point in changing it for something of very similar money?

Before I read that bit- best choice would be put 10k with it and get a tidy low milage Disco 3.
    Got loads of other things I could throw 10k at unfortunately...! I was hoping that the Disco money + top-up would get me a newer crew cab pick-up tbh.

feilding

At 100 k a disco is just run in . I run 2 and are the best trucks about and I find the cheapest to run. Been driving other peoples pick ups and hated driving them,
    poor for towing and heavy on tyres. so I would keep the disco for a few more years.

pontyboy

Quote Originally Posted by feilding View Post
    At 100 k a disco is just run in . I run 2 and are the best trucks about and I find the cheapest to run. Been driving other peoples pick ups and hated driving them,
    poor for towing and heavy on tyres. so I would keep the disco for a few more years.
    +1.keep the disco well serviced,be much more comfortable than a pick up.

Bobthebuilder

wouldn't of thaught an 03 disco with 100k on the clock would be worth that much if you don't do a lot with it and it's tidy enough i would keep it going a few more years and save your pennies till you can get something newer

massey765

my owd disco 2 has done 182000 miles,still ok,a lot more comfortable and economicle than the L200 it replaced, so i would say if a think its still reliable enough run it till it drops

foxcover

TD5 a good engine, just keep on top of oil changes and put some money aside for wheel bearings. Front wheel bearings require a new hub, easy enough job to do though. Any problems with the dual mass fly-wheel just replace it with a solid one.

scrubbuster

Hilux. I used to be land rover. Am afraid the Japs are much better at it than the Brits!:cry:

Mayo

Disco 3. Seriously, compared to its early siblings its like comparing a London bus to a TGV train, plus it has the badge.

Drove a highish mileage and well run in Disco 3, smooth as silk, refined, effortless to drive, interior that easily thrashes mainstream saloon cars, in fact, farmers should almost be banned from owning them!

If you can you must! Bonus is no chrome and you don't look like a nomadic scrap metal reclamation operative!

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by part_timer View Post
    Got loads of other things I could throw 10k at unfortunately...! I was hoping that the Disco money + top-up would get me a newer crew cab pick-up tbh.
    You are going to need loads of money to change to get something significantly better, so just keep looking after the one you have and run it into the ground.

Get off My Land

The TD5 disco is a good workhorse but that Engine isnt without its issues...
    nevermid the rest of the vehicle...
    Get rid & take a 10yr leap into a Tidy Disco3
    Nothing out of Jap Land gets near the Image/Drive/Toys !!!
    But when they go wrong & they do aswell. esp them lecky handbrakes !!!
    they go wrong.
    Get n Auto & ya wont have any clutch problems.....

The TD5 is so easily stalled when pulling away with 3ton + on the back...
    Yet the D3 plays with 5t if need be !!!
    Drive Select between hi/lo ratio can be changed on the move which is fab !!

D4 is a Powerhouse.... but only available in Auto.

Get off My Land

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Disco 3. Seriously, compared to its early siblings its like comparing a London bus to a TGV train, plus it has the badge.

Drove a highish mileage and well run in Disco 3, smooth as silk, refined, effortless to drive, interior that easily thrashes mainstream saloon cars, in fact, farmers should almost be banned from owning them!

If you can you must! Bonus is no chrome and you don't look like a nomadic scrap metal reclamation operative!
    Ur are 100% correct m8
    Driven them all.

Penmoel

We were in the same position as you last year with a 54 plate TD5 at 100k, it had been a good vehicle with few problems having been with us 7 years.

Also like you we now did not need 7 seats anymore and went looking at disco 3's , never have been keen on the look of the bak of them though, look so much like a transit connect van. In the end we found that a Range Rover Sport of the same age and mileage was invariably cheaper to buy than a Disco 3, although basically the same vehicle.

After having kept the old TD5 for 7 years it was always going to be a big jump to something newer, and it was. But the Sport is miles ahead of the old TD5 and a completely different vehicle, auto box is a dream-never had one before.

It went in for a main dealer service a while back (36,000m cost 280 inc vat) and we were given a new Land Rover 90 as a courtesy vehicle, for info the RR cost about 10k more secondhand at over 2 years old than the 90 is new, it would be the best 10k you could spend.

part_timer

Thanks for all the replies guys, food for thought....the Mrs would love the RR Sport idea....!

I'm very wary of keeping it beyond 100k, its been 'ok' in the years we've had it but its starting to grumble ocassionally these days which is making me nervous, and would rather sell now before anything major goes bang, it's been serviced regularly, and who knows, could still be going strong on another 3 years time....

A Disco 3 would be my first choice tbh, and might look around to see what I'd have to put on top of this one for a decent 06 or 07 plate.

I jump in fathers L200 from time to time and have to admit they just don't feel as well put together as the Disco, but thought I might get a leg up to a newer vehicle by taking this route without spending loads of the hard earned.

Still, got to admit the RR Sport is sounding rather nice...but doesn't it look silly with an IW livestock box behind it?

Penmoel

Quote Originally Posted by part_timer View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys, food for thought....the Mrs would love the RR Sport idea....!

Still, got to admit the RR Sport is sounding rather nice...but doesn't it look silly with an IW livestock box behind it?

Looks great with 12' IW and nice cattle or sheep coming out of it! Its a working vehicle after all, it just has two roles, I dont mind it getting dirty that washes off, no dents though

Went to Scot sheep last week in it over 1000 miles averaged 34mpg, does around 27mpg around here down to about 20 with the loaded IW behind. That would be as good as any jap pick up, but with comfort you would not believe.

Cowabunga

Plenty of RR Sport vehicles working for a living around here, including Penmoel's which I saw yesterday while I was having lunch as it happens. Very smart thing it was too, and with a small livestock trailer behind. Today I am somewhere else entirely and am just finishing lunch and haven't noticed more than a handful of Sport's on the road and about the same number of Discovery3 and 4. Is it my imagination or are there now more of these on the road than Disco1 and 2?

CeeJay

... independent of RRS or Disco... Dig deep in pockets and go for TDV6 3.0 and NOT 2.7. The difference is huge... I think it is from 190hp to 245hp... or go silly and buy the TDV8...

For RRS the interior is updated/upgraded in mid 2010 and it is a huge difference aswell...

Yes... Got a RRS 2010 TDV6 HSE 3.0 with the new interior and it is sweeeet...

Penmoel

[QUOTE=Cowabunga;942694]Plenty of RR Sport vehicles working for a living around here, including Penmoel's which I saw yesterday while I was having lunch as it happens. Very smart thing it was too, and with a small livestock trailer behind. QUOTE]

Yes , thankfully I only needed the tup trailer to drop 2 dead ewes of in Douglas :cry::cry: bl**dy incessant rain after shearing.

Mind you, I thought you dined in more salubrious places than Lampeter Co-op car park

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Penmoel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Plenty of RR Sport vehicles working for a living around here, including Penmoel's which I saw yesterday while I was having lunch as it happens. Very smart thing it was too, and with a small livestock trailer behind.

Yes , thankfully I only needed the tup trailer to drop 2 dead ewes of in Douglas :cry::cry: bl**dy incessant rain after shearing.

Mind you, I thought you dined in more salubrious places than Lampeter Co-op car park
    That's my limit these days. Three items for three Quid in a 1998 built dining car. :cry:

Chae

Quote Originally Posted by Penmoel View Post
    Looks great with 12' IW and nice cattle or sheep coming out of it! Its a working vehicle after all, it just has two roles, I dont mind it getting dirty that washes off, no dents though

Went to Scot sheep last week in it over 1000 miles averaged 34mpg, does around 27mpg around here down to about 20 with the loaded IW behind. That would be as good as any jap pick up, but with comfort you would not believe.
    How do you manage that mpg!? Our Rrs only manages 22 with nothing on back.

Nearly

Had the same question 3 months ago with W reg with 135k on clock, swapped it for 53 reg Disco 2 with 48k on clock to postpone decision for another 4 or 5 years.

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    How do you manage that mpg!? Our Rrs only manages 22 with nothing on back.
    Did she trick you into getting the one with 'supercharged' on the back?

RRSport is a very nice vehicle, too. Don't know what LR bosses have been doing, maybe they sent the design team off on holiday or maybe lined them up against the wall, but all the LR products are a class act now, the interiors alone are amazingly good, so much so that they are having a big rethink with the RR Vogue and trying to keep it a premium vehicle against its cheaper cousins. Even the Freelander is a strong contender I think. Funnily enough they have done the same with Jaguars.

Evoque cabrio, now there is a vehicle to create a stir!

mole catcher

I'd stay with the Solihull product. Getting better all the time and plenty of choice.
    Late low milage Disco 2s priced close to early high milage Disco 3s now, so bit of a dilemma. As long as the service history is good and guaranteed, no real problems in my experience.

Clive

Beg, borrow and steal to get a tdv8 rrs

Best engine ever put in a 4x4

Chae

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Did she trick you into getting the one with 'supercharged' on the back?

RRSport is a very nice vehicle, too. Don't know what LR bosses have been doing, maybe they sent the design team off on holiday or maybe lined them up against the wall, but all the LR products are a class act now, the interiors alone are amazingly good, so much so that they are having a big rethink with the RR Vogue and trying to keep it a premium vehicle against its cheaper cousins. Even the Freelander is a strong contender I think. Funnily enough they have done the same with Jaguars.

Evoque cabrio, now there is a vehicle to create a stir!
    No! I have a d4. Dads got a Rrs. It's a tdv8 it goes and sounds brilliant but Fuel consumption is awful. I agree LR interiors are pretty good. I was looking for an x5 but BMW dealer had taken d4 as trade in and got a good deal against our 330 coupe. Hadn t even considered d4 before I sat in it but was really impressed, it's a gs which is basic model but interior still good quality. Will keep swmbo happy and safe for a while hopefully.

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Beg, borrow and steal to get a tdv8 rrs

Best engine ever put in a 4x4
    +1
    Actually you can probably get one for similar money toa disco4
    So please don't steal mine

Mayo

I'm not so sure the TDV8 is all that mustard compared to the supercharged petrol engine! When it kicks down and clears its throat you can leave boy racers for dead, you'd never think something so big could pickup its skirt like moneypenny and turn into Madonna. All LR engines seem so very smooth now, even sound like an engine, TD5 seems flat and sounds like some kind of ball bearing mashing machine by contrast. :lolk:

dieseldogg

JLR now owned by Tata?
    Says a lot for old-fashioned British Managment
    sigh

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldogg View Post
    JLR now owned by Tata?
    Says a lot for old-fashioned British Managment
    sigh
    Since when has a British car manufacturer ever been properly managed? They all seem to flourish under foreign ownership and more importantly, investment.