Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disco 2 - Change it for what?

Clive

Re: Disco 2 - Change it for what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    I'm not so sure the TDV8 is all that mustard compared to the supercharged petrol engine! When it kicks down and clears its throat you can leave boy racers for dead, you'd never think something so big could pickup its skirt like moneypenny and turn into Madonna. All LR engines seem so very smooth now, even sound like an engine, TD5 seems flat and sounds like some kind of ball bearing mashing machine by contrast. :lolk:
    Tdv8 way better than the sc engine - suits the car perfectly with bags of torque

New vogue has a new tdv8 - my mate on the dev team says it is ground breakingly good and will redefine the luxury 4x4 market when released

Cowabunga

Since when has a British car manufacturer ever been properly managed? They all seem to flourish under foreign ownership and more importantly, investment.
    Like Ford, who don't build cars here any longer, Chrysler/Peugeot, Vauxhall/GM, you mean?

Exfarmer

I'm not so sure the TDV8 is all that mustard compared to the supercharged petrol engine! When it kicks down and clears its throat you can leave boy racers for dead, you'd never think something so big could pickup its skirt like moneypenny and turn into Madonna. All LR engines seem so very smooth now, even sound like an engine, TD5 seems flat and sounds like some kind of ball bearing mashing machine by contrast. :lolk:
    Yes the supercharged is the very best engine
    You will also buy a low mileage one cheap as chips
    Since you will struggle to get 10 MPG towing:cry:

Give me a TDV8 any day

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldogg View Post
    JLR now owned by Tata?
    Says a lot for old-fashioned British Managment
    sigh
    To be fair the current range was probably concieved and designed before Tata took over

These cars are years on the drawing board and testing

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Like Ford, who don't build cars here any longer, Chrysler/Peugeot, Vauxhall/GM, you mean?
    Ford cars, Vauxhall and Pug do well in Europe. Much of the big three's problems stem from their American operations.

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Yes the supercharged is the very best engine
    You will also buy a low mileage one cheap as chips
    Since you will struggle to get 10 MPG towing:cry:

Give me a TDV8 any day
    I can't comment on the fuel efficiency of it, though someone who can stump up 100K for a Vogue/autobiography, is probably not worried about the act of filling it it.

As a vehicle it makes way more sense than a Bentley GT etc IMO.

Cowabunga

Ford cars, Vauxhall and Pug do well in Europe. Much of the big three's problems stem from their American operations.
    Not here or only marginally here any more though.
    And, of course, they were never British, although some British brands were swallowed up and spat out by GM and Chrysler who digested the Rootes Group.

It is the new players that are making a go of it. The ones that have never had the baggage or can get rid of it along with the restrictive practices, poor management, lack of investment and crippling pension liabilities.

Greedy shareholders and management are equally responsible for selling our major businesses off into foreign ownership. Along with a Government that allows it. Other Countries want our best companies but be sure, many if not most of those countries would never allow their own wealth creators to be sold into foreign ownership.

Today Boots has been sold off effectively. :cry:

Mayo

Does it make any difference who owns what or where?

British products, Leyland, Rover, TVR, all down the pan because their products were either unreliable, out of date or just crap. Bad management or not, its too late now. We do make some things in this country. JCBs. We assemble minis, Ford make their diesel engines here, so we aren't that useless. Besides, even the Germans aren't making that many cars now. I bet Volkswagen make more cars in their Asian operation than they do in Germany!

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by part_timer View Post
    I have an 03 Disco II ES with just south of 100k on the clock and have been wondering what to change it for, had it a few years now.

I do have a 14ft IW livestock trailer and used to need the 3500kg towing capacity, but this isnt really a priority now tbh.

The replacement needs to be for around the same money, or a smallish top-up, and not be prone to blowing up random parts of itself, thats about it really.

I do favour a crew cab pick-up of some description, we currently have 7-seats but its not really a necessity these days.

Thanks in advance

PT
    just sayin' is all.

Penmoel

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    How do you manage that mpg!? Our Rrs only manages 22 with nothing on back.
    No problem cruise control at 75 up the M6, effortless, went of via Kendal over to Ambleside because we wanted to go by Kirkstone pass, thanks to another thread on here, away from the motorway made a nice break.

Everyone says the 3.0l is the better engine, no doubt it is but the 2.7 tdv6 is no slouch either, last time we came back from St merryn with an empty IW trailer, Mrs Penmoel said the thing was swaying a bit, when I looked we doing over 70.

Seriously Part Timer, take a look at a RRs, for the same age and mileage they are cheaper to buy than the Disco3

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Penmoel View Post
    No problem cruise control at 75 up the M6, effortless, went of via Kendal over to Ambleside because we wanted to go by Kirkstone pass, thanks to another thread on here, away from the motorway made a nice break.

Everyone says the 3.0l is the better engine, no doubt it is but the 2.7 tdv6 is no slouch either, last time we came back from St merryn with an empty IW trailer, Mrs Penmoel said the thing was swaying a bit, when I looked we doing over 70.
    Have heard that a re-map transforms the engine to being, if anything, superior in performance and economy to the standard twin-turbo 3.0l Disco4.

part_timer

Quote Originally Posted by Penmoel View Post

Seriously Part Timer, take a look at a RRs, for the same age and mileage they are cheaper to buy than the Disco3
    Hmmmm you've really got me thinking now....always promised the Mrs a RRs when the numbers came up....
    Do you have the 2.7 then Penmoel? at the MPG you've quoted, sounds better than my Disco 2.

And seeing as we dont really need 7 seats now...could be worth keeping on the radar, what sort of money then for a 55/56 plate RRs 2.7 tdv6 that hasn't been to the moon and back?

Timbo_1975

Have heard that a re-map transforms the engine to being, if anything, superior in performance and economy to the standard twin-turbo 3.0l Disco4.
    +1.

Avoid the manual at all costs. (clutch replacement reasons)

Mark C

Or you could go the whole hog and get a 'proper' RR, plenty of 55 reg ones with 50k miles for around 20-22k, which considering their new price............ No idea as to the difference in running costs between a RRS and a RR tho I suspect the RRS will be less thirsty

Penmoel

Quote Originally Posted by part_timer View Post
    Hmmmm you've really got me thinking now....always promised the Mrs a RRs when the numbers came up....
    Do you have the 2.7 then Penmoel? at the MPG you've quoted, sounds better than my Disco 2.

And seeing as we dont really need 7 seats now...could be worth keeping on the radar, what sort of money then for a 55/56 plate RRs 2.7 tdv6 that hasn't been to the moon and back?

Yes 2.7 TDv6 HSE, mpg is better than the Disco 2 we had, take a look on LR approved secondhands, there are 35 on there below 25K, this one is 23k with 35k miles and 56 reg would have warranty as well. We bought ours off here from main dealer in Carlisle over 200 mile away.

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co...icleID=1671545

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co...s.c.fuels=8082

CeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Beg, borrow and steal to get a tdv8 rrs

Best engine ever put in a 4x4
    ... not counting the 3.0 TDV6...

CeeJay

Since I am a RRS forum member must say that I never heard this stated.. I think a remapped 2.7 still would have some pinholes up to the 3.0 ... And the difference between the TDV8 (272bhp) and the TDV6 (245/255bhp) is not as big due to weight (and mpg..........)

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
    Since I am a RRS forum member must say that I never heard this stated.. I think a remapped 2.7 still would have some pinholes up to the 3.0 ... And the difference between the TDV8 (272bhp) and the TDV6 (245/255bhp) is not as big due to weight (and mpg..........)

In less than a minute of looking, I found this topic which hints at many more posts on this subject.
    Apparently the re-map works far better than a chip on this engine.

Must admit to having a re-map done on my Audi Q7 and it made a good car superb. It is still superb 65,000 miles later. Not only does it drive better, accelerates much faster when needed, but it gained around 4mpg overall.

CeeJay

In less than a minute of looking, I found this topic which hints at many more posts on this subject.
    Apparently the re-map works far better than a chip on this engine.

Must admit to having a re-map done on my Audi Q7 and it made a good car superb. It is still superb 65,000 miles later. Not only does it drive better, accelerates much faster when needed, but it gained around 4mpg overall.
    If I got a 2.7 I would remap it and BAS as you refer to seems to be doing a great job.

I have a 3.0 and I can't feel the same need to remap. It is nice as it is with 245bhp. I drove a TDV8 before buying the 3.0.

The difference between 2.7 and 3.0 is bigger that 3.0 and TDV8.

My comment was that I doubt a remapped 2.7 is "better" than a 3.0...

Cowabunga

If I got a 2.7 I would remap it and BAS as you refer to seems to be doing a great job.

I have a 3.0 and I can't feel the same need to remap. It is nice as it is with 245bhp. I drove a TDV8 before buying the 3.0.

I wouldn't know, but I have seen several comments about it being just as good.

pontyboy

I wouldn't know, but I have seen several comments about it being just as good.

it would have to be good then.very impressed with the 3.0l sdv6 in the disco 4 so far anyway.

CeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by pontyboy View Post
    it would have to be good then.very impressed with the 3.0l sdv6 in the disco 4 so far anyway.
    As a fellow 3.0 engine owner I would expect you to join me in saying a remapped 2.7 can never be as brilliantly good as an 3.0...

and... SDV6 is 255bhp in difference to my TDV6 with 245bhp...

AND... Since joining this forum I have seen sooooooooo many posts regarding not remapping and chipping tractors but to buy the right size from the beginning... So buy a 3.0 if you need the performance ... ehum...

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by pontyboy View Post

You've got one! Good on you. Commercial?

pontyboy

You've got one! Good on you. Commercial?

yes,aye cheers cb. no the 7 seater. did consider buying a commercial and putting seats in one of those to make it a 5 seater.even tho it would be much better vat wise and road tax wise i went for the car instead.

pontyboy

As a fellow 3.0 engine owner I would expect you to join me in saying a remapped 2.7 can never be as brilliantly good as an 3.0...

and... SDV6 is 255bhp in difference to my TDV6 with 245bhp...

AND... Since joining this forum I have seen sooooooooo many posts regarding not remapping and chipping tractors but to buy the right size from the beginning... So buy a 3.0 if you need the performance ... ehum...
    i had the defender 110 remapped,the td5 engine.did it the world of good.but i must say i'm impressed with the disco.

Chae

He just likes baiting people, you took it. I though about it but couldn't t be bothered arguing with he who knows everything.

Don t know about Rrs but the Full fat v6 rr are prone to gearbox failure when more power put through them.

As Mark says a 56 plate Vogue with around 60k miles for around 20k looks like a bargain, depreciation and running costs scared me off.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    He just likes baiting people, you took it. I though about it but couldn't t be bothered arguing with he who knows everything.

Don t know about Rrs but the Full fat v6 rr are prone to gearbox failure when more power put through them.

As Mark says a 56 plate Vogue with around 60k miles for around 20k looks like a bargain, depreciation and running costs scared me off.

The full fat Range Rover has never had a V6 engine. The gearbox used in those is not the ZF used in the Disco/RRS either. It is the GM built gearbox. Unless you are thinking about the 3.6V8.

Get your facts right if you wish to argue with me.