Thread: 'Soft hands' type bale handler.

JimF

'Soft hands' type bale handler.

Anyone using one? Thinking of having one for this season.

McHale or Ritchie?

Any others worth a look?

adamchenny

Re: 'Soft hands' type bale handler.

I have a mcchale r5. I would recommend one to anyone!

Rob Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by adamchenny View Post
    +1

DM

We've currently got the other type of McHale handler but can see that stacking them on their ends would be better.

Always wrap at the stack. Prior to that load them onto the trailers on their sides the same as they come out the baler. Double row on bottom of trailer, single on top to save having to rope them on.

Would the R5 be able to unload them from trailer this way or would you tear the net trying to get one side of the machine down in between the bale you are trying to remove and the one next to it?

Bean canning on trailer would mean back to strapping on.

cowfarm

Nick K

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Anyone using one? Thinking of having one for this season.

McHale or Ritchie?

Any others worth a look?
    Just sent a Slewtic back - too many sharp edges that ripped the plastic and have ordered a Ritchie instead which will hopefully come tomorrow.

Mr Muck

Quickie flexi grip is very strong.

jd6930

brother just bought a foster which he is very pleased with

mac956

Nugent

davidw

Another vote for the Mchale R5

adamchenny

Quote Originally Posted by DM View Post
    We've currently got the other type of McHale handler but can see that stacking them on their ends would be better.

Always wrap at the stack. Prior to that load them onto the trailers on their sides the same as they come out the baler. Double row on bottom of trailer, single on top to save having to rope them on.

Would the R5 be able to unload them from trailer this way or would you tear the net trying to get one side of the machine down in between the bale you are trying to remove and the one next to it?

Bean canning on trailer would mean back to strapping on.
    I find you can slighty squeeze the bale you are going to grab and it slips in that way nicely barely ever tear the net wrap. you can lock one hand so only one opens and closes to make stacking easier although i never do it.

balerman

I must be missing something with these handlers,you are grabbing the bale where the plastic is thinnest and i dont see how you could unload a trailer either,whether the bales were wrapped or not.Stopping bird damage by stacking on end is the only advantage i can see.I like the end grip version,i have stacked thousands with these,very rarely damage any.

Cripper

I have a mchale r5. Vertical stacking works well with haylage but horizontal is better for softer bales. They can split in two when you use them if they are badly baled hourglass bales. The bales at the end of the stack need more wrap if vertical . It unloads trailers ok - slides down between bales. If the bales are wrapped you need to leave a small gap between bales when loading trailer. I think you really need a telehandler to stack them vertically

Mayo

Presumably putting bales on ends means more layers of plastic on the ground so less chance of a tear, also bale is doing to deform less readily if more are placed on top?

DM

I find you can slighty squeeze the bale you are going to grab and it slips in that way nicely barely ever tear the net wrap. you can lock one hand so only one opens and closes to make stacking easier although i never do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripper View Post
    I have a mchale It unloads trailers ok - slides down between bales. If the bales are wrapped you need to leave a small gap between bales when loading trailer. I think you really need a telehandler to stack them vertically
    Thanks for that guys.
    Didn't want go buying something then discover it didn't suit our system. The other type pokes the tine nicely through the hole between the two bales at trailer floor level making for quick unloading.

Reckon it could be time for a switch. Bales are stacked on type1 base so a few more layers of plastic there should help as well as on the top for bird damage.

si-mate

I was told recently that you shouldn't spike bales before wrapping as it creates an air pocket. Is that true?

multi power

Quote Originally Posted by Cripper View Post
    I have a mchale r5. Vertical stacking works well with haylage but horizontal is better for softer bales. They can split in two when you use them if they are badly baled hourglass bales. The bales at the end of the stack need more wrap if vertical . It unloads trailers ok - slides down between bales. If the bales are wrapped you need to leave a small gap between bales when loading trailer. I think you really need a telehandler to stack them vertically
    why do the bales on end of stack need more plastic? why the need for a telehandler?

JimF

This one looks OK, although I'd never seen one before until today.
    Dealer that helped me out when I was stuck the other day has one in.

[YOUTUBE]Jns_LdnlvoU[/YOUTUBE]

multi power

can you lock one side? we have a grays n one side is fixed n shorter, i can stack bales tight anainst each other, n could un stack them if needed with no trouble

cozzie

I have no problem stacking on ends with the bog standard two poles handler, a little bit of attention and it works perfect. tricky when going 3 high but can be done. just rest the bale your putting up on the lower bale and one flick and it tips over. getting a stack started is the tricky bit.

matbrojoe

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    I have no problem stacking on ends with the bog standard two poles handler, a little bit of attention and it works perfect. tricky when going 3 high but can be done. just rest the bale your putting up on the lower bale and one flick and it tips over. getting a stack started is the tricky bit.
    I did them on end with the standard roller grab last year, this year i bought a quickie flexigrip, which I'm very please with, strong and well designed, 740 including the pips and a set of euro brackets. It's much easier than the roller grab for stacking.

massey54

We bought a quicke flexigrip 160 last year. It's a very well made grab that's easy to use but you need good solid bales of haylage as opposed to silage.