Thread: what next for tractor project?

john8210

what next for tractor project?

looking for suggestions on what to do next in the way of tractor project. i fancied doing another 6 cylinder major, but then thought that they aint really any use for anything, so am now thinking lightweight ih rear end probably from the 74 family with a perkins 6 in it. what would anyone suugest for an interesting semi useable project that wouldnt cost the earth? does anyone know where such like ih donor could be found?

The Pretender

Re: what next for tractor project?

7810 engine in a 3000

agrotron 150.7

Quote Originally Posted by john8210 View Post
    looking for suggestions on what to do next in the way of tractor project. i fancied doing another 6 cylinder major, but then thought that they aint really any use for anything, so am now thinking lightweight ih rear end probably from the 74 family with a perkins 6 in it. what would anyone suugest for an interesting semi useable project that wouldnt cost the earth? does anyone know where such like ih donor could be found?
    Antony metcalf at ingleton iirc he makeing a 574? 4wd.. He has loads of ih tractors worth a try and aint that far from you a lad from sedbergh that used t work at haytons not naming him but you mite no him hope this helps

multi power

cant help with the ih but i have a very worn 6354.4 thats doing nothing, i was thinking of doing the same thing with a massey 188 or similar, but i have a long list

john8210

Quote Originally Posted by agrotron 150.7 View Post
    Antony metcalf at ingleton iirc he makeing a 574? 4wd.. He has loads of ih tractors worth a try and aint that far from you a lad from sedbergh that used t work at haytons not naming him but you mite no him hope this helps
    yeah i know anthony , we had a few dealings either way in the past. i think i know the lad your on about . there is a 475 ass end on fleabay, its a t/a one, not sure how much power i could get through a t/a box. thinking that a straight 6 perk would prob kick out around 110hp it may stand it ?? i would then need a sumpand back plate from 699. then prob go with mf front axle.

agrotron 150.7

yeah i know anthony , we had a few dealings either way in the past. i think i know the lad your on about . there is a 475 ass end on fleabay, its a t/a one, not sure how much power i could get through a t/a box. thinking that a straight 6 perk would prob kick out around 110hp it may stand it ?? i would then need a sumpand back plate from 699. then prob go with mf front axle.
    Yea ul no him i work with him, his brother does a gritting run in winter, i think the ta wil always be the weak spot in the nash but sounds like uve done yor research a little sounds ok to me what your planing but i personaly would use a none ta version or make a maxxum 5150 into a 2wd version now that is diffrent bt thats me

mattg

Yea ul no him i work with him, his brother does a gritting run in winter, i think the ta wil always be the weak spot in the nash but sounds like uve done yor research a little sounds ok to me what your planing but i personaly would use a none ta version or make a maxxum 5150 into a 2wd version now that is diffrent bt thats me

5150 were avaliable in 2 wd in usa markets always fancied one

john8210

yeah i know know both brothers fairly well, have they got some donor stuff up there? , yeah i think non t/a would be best too, but a splitter would be handy

agrotron 150.7

yeah i know know both brothers fairly well, have they got some donor stuff up there? , yeah i think non t/a would be best too, but a splitter would be handy
    Yea think they got a 2 nashes im nt sure i wil ask him tday and let you no, ul never need the spitter with that sort of power and with the 74 gearing be doutful if you ever hav change gear

john63

How about an international 74/84 or even 85 with a 6 cyl out of a 956/1056 in it?

john8210

Quote Originally Posted by john63 View Post
    How about an international 74/84 or even 85 with a 6 cyl out of a 956/1056 in it?
    that would be good too, but has anyone any idea where to find a good 358 nash engine?

john63

that would be good too, but has anyone any idea where to find a good 358 nash engine?
    Good point. A 6.354 would be a lot easier to find I'd imagine.

I think that they used the 358 in some of the combines as well didn't they?

Worth trying a few breakers?

Fat North

How about a Triple D type Nash. Perhaps two 9 or 1056 joined at the hip like siamese twins? Well ok perhaps something smaller may be more appropriate.

Mayo

MF 1200, or a 4wd 590. Or a cASE 1056/1455. Go on, you know you want to.

john8210

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    MF 1200, or a 4wd 590. Or a cASE 1056/1455. Go on, you know you want to.
    ha yeah i would love too , but i need to work with a small budget, ive got a wife and 2 kids too think about too . a 74/84/85 ass end would be sensible money as a start place. does anyone know what other tractor wheels share the same centrs as nash back wheels cos i am thinking it would have to be on 38" rear tyres. are the massey 699/399 types the same fitting?

spotty_dog

Axial Flow engine into a IH 634. I know a man whos done it. Its a high revving engine so the top speed of the tractor goes up correspondingly.

Mayo

That sounds wild.

How about doing something up that is a modern classic, and then flogging it for profit?

72 series Magnum?

The Pretender

what about a bike or hot hatch engine in a 35? Or.... a really small engine in a really big tractor. Everyone does it the other way around, so start a new trend

Mayo

SKIMMER

74/84 nash's back ends couldn't cope with the 4 pots they came with a bit silly putting anything bigger in.

john8210

Quote Originally Posted by SKIMMER View Post
    74/84 nash's back ends couldn't cope with the 4 pots they came with a bit silly putting anything bigger in.
    what makes you say that? , there are a lot of those tractors around here on stock farms and ive never heard of any serious trouble apart from the odd t/a problem or shaft in the shuttle boxes. do you have some knowledge on the subject cos i need to no all the facts before doing it.

multi power

ha yeah i would love too , but i need to work with a small budget, ive got a wife and 2 kids too think about too . a 74/84/85 ass end would be sensible money as a start place. does anyone know what other tractor wheels share the same centrs as nash back wheels cos i am thinking it would have to be on 38" rear tyres. are the massey 699/399 types the same fitting?
    im fairly sure the rims on the front of my mf 1200 are international, look very like the ones on that 6cyl you just sold

SKIMMER

what makes you say that? , there are a lot of those tractors around here on stock farms and ive never heard of any serious trouble apart from the odd t/a problem or shaft in the shuttle boxes. do you have some knowledge on the subject cos i need to no all the facts before doing it.
    We had a 674,784 & 885,t/a problems on all ,clutches and lift problems,the back axle is designed for about 50hp(484)they are fine for livestock work but anything else just forget it.

john8210

Quote Originally Posted by SKIMMER View Post
    We had a 674,784 & 885,t/a problems on all ,clutches and lift problems,the back axle is designed for about 50hp(484)they are fine for livestock work but anything else just forget it.
    all it would be doing would be running about moving a few trailers, maybe a bit of mowing , tedding etc. more of a play thing than anything else. certainly no heavy draft work