Thread: Welsh Grassland Krone machinery video

Jim B

Welsh Grassland Krone machinery video

A lad I know took his video camera along to the Welsh Grassland a couple of weeks ago, thought a few of you might be interested in seeing this.

It was a bit damp......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8b2sPElND8

Shep

Re: Welsh Grassland Krone machinery video

That's not wet! When the Big M is stuck and the ground between the rows is mucky... THEN its wet.

RmarkV

Makes the FTMTA Grass and Muck event in www.gurteencollege.ie look like heaven on earth.

JimF

Would your machinery work in these conditions?
    Would anyone want their machinery to work in those conditions?

onlyone gazza

nice to see the manufacturer going for it wet or not and some farmers might make a decision to buy on that performance, well done!

cozzie

You can't beat tending out silage in tricky conditions

richardyoung

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    You can't beat tending out silage in tricky conditions
    shake a bit of the water off!!

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by onlyone gazza View Post
    nice to see the manufacturer going for it wet or not and some farmers might make a decision to buy on that performance, well done!
    Personally I think that since hardly anyone was watching they could have had far more consideration for the farmer and his land. Just because they were there and had paid for the plot didn't mean they had to push on and virtually destroy the field and the farmer's winter feed.
    I wouldn't do it to my own assets and wouldn't do it to other's. Would you?

But I look at it from a farmer's perspective, 'protector of the land' and all that.

CrevisbigX

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Personally I think that since hardly anyone was watching they could have had far more consideration for the farmer and his land. Just because they were there and had paid for the plot didn't mean they had to push on and virtually destroy the field and the farmer's winter feed.

But I look at it from a farmer's perspective, 'protector of the land' and all that.
    Then why allow it to go ahead ???

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by CrevisbigX View Post
    Then why allow it to go ahead ???
    That is not the point.
    It was allowed to go ahead because there was a comittment by the farmer concerned. That does not justify the mess some companies made.

Don't get me wrong, nobody stopped them. But you would have thought they would have had a modicum of consideration.
    This was not some demo where the forage was allocated to waste, it was someone's livelihood and his animal's winter forage. But he let it go on, so they were entitled to continue making the mess if they wished.

I would not have. Did not. Purely out of consideration for the host.

onlyone gazza

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post

from what i heard, the guy tried his best to put on this show and there were some people around to see a demo. he could of stopped it if he wanted, but perhaps he wanted them to do something, i don't know?
    but fair enough to krone they were confident enough in their machinery to continue.
    i'm sure a lot of us remember the older wrappers, they wouldn't even hold the wrap if it was damp, so they performed ok.
    i know it was horrible weather, but he could have stopped it if he had wanted to, i'm sure they would of listened to him.

Cowabunga

from what i heard, the guy tried his best to put on this show and there were some people around to see a demo. he could of stopped it if he wanted, but perhaps he wanted them to do something, i don't know?
    but fair enough to krone they were confident enough in their machinery to continue.
    i'm sure a lot of us remember the older wrappers, they wouldn't even hold the wrap if it was damp, so they performed ok.
    i know it was horrible weather, but he could have stopped it if he had wanted to, i'm sure they would of listened to him.
    I'm not condemning anyone for carrying on. It was a commercial call and nobody stopped them. The mess just made me cringe. Just didn't see the point in doing more than the bare minimum in the circumstances.
    It is probably a view taken depending on your view on farming and land management. As said, the farmer could have stopped it, and probably would have if not for personal conflicting pressures. I feel for him and admire his decision if not the decisions taken by others, but respect them too.

Ploughman1963

Cowabunga, the farmer made a special journey around all the plots in the morning to assure everyone that they were to go ahead if they wished and that he was happy if they did go ahead.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Ploughman1963 View Post
    Cowabunga, the farmer made a special journey around all the plots in the morning to assure everyone that they were to go ahead if they wished and that he was happy if they did go ahead.
    Yes, I know he did. Not my point though.
    He had his reasons and the agronomic ones were not paramount on the day. Fair play to him, considering that I know that normally agronomics are fundamental to him. But he is chairman of the host county of the Royal Welsh Show and that obviously influenced his decision.

His decision. So no need for anyone to feel guilty now, after the event. It is just my personal opinion that there was no need to do the bare minimum in the circumstances to minimise his on-cost. Like I said, I am looking at it from a farmer's perspective.

Dr Evil

I can't help but wonder who actually benefitted from the displays going on- I mean, it's not as if they were showing the machines in conditions they were designed to be used in, and the weather would have meant next to one one was watching surely? From the videos, the machines were working at a snails pace- hardly a good demonstration of what they can do?

Can only commend John and team for what has obviously been as well attended event as could be expected given the weather, and he's made some big sacrifices for the sake of the RWAS.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    I can't help but wonder who actually benefitted from the displays going on- I mean, it's not as if they were showing the machines in conditions they were designed to be used in, and the weather would have meant next to one one was watching surely? From the videos, the machines were working at a snails pace- hardly a good demonstration of what they can do?

Can only commend John and team for what has obviously been as well attended event as could be expected given the weather, and he's made some big sacrifices for the sake of the RWAS.
    I agree. That is why I took the view I did and expressed it here.
    IMO the least damage caused to his land the better as there was no advantage to manufacturers to be gained from ploughing [almost literally] on regardless. But they were perfectly entitled to as nobody said otherwise. It was just a rather pointless mess and waste from the farm perspective. It obviously impressed one or two, judging from the comments here, so maybe they were right after all. It probably doesn't pay to be thoughtful and considerate.

dyna6

Whats wrong duck, MF and KUHN not up to the job.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by dyna6 View Post
    That says it all, doesn't it. Just who does shit impress?
    I just thought it was such a shame for everyone, not least the farmer involved who obviously took such pride in his farm and land.

The water and mess had to be seen to be believed and a lot of it was unavoidable unless the day was cancelled. A lot could be avoided but some people obviously couldn't give a shit, as illustrated, which I don't find appealing.

Anyhow, its been and gone and done and that's that.

onlyone gazza

look you seem to have a cob on for no reason.
    we all agree the chap has done a splendid job putting the event on and i hope it's done again next year, a month later in the year though.
    the machines run, he had no problem with it and there was a mess.
    chap got paid for the plot and it's proberbly ploughed up and reeseeded by now, everyones happy exept you, end of conversation.

Cowabunga

look you seem to have a cob on for no reason.
    we all agree the chap has done a splendid job putting the event on and i hope it's done again next year, a month later in the year though.
    the machines run, he had no problem with it and there was a mess.
    chap got paid for the plot and it's proberbly ploughed up and reeseeded by now, everyones happy exept you, end of conversation.
    Am I the one with a cob on? I don't think so. I expressed my honest view and it is others that seem to have a cob on about that. As I said more than once, they were entitled to make a mess. But they didn't have to, did they. I hope that they had a huge benefit from it, otherwise...........why? What was the point?

Maybe they did? I hope so.

Should mention that I am not picking on one particular plot, despite the title of this topic. Some others made more of a mess and pointlessly cut even more grass. Again, you would be correct saying that nobody stopped them.

farmerbob

Besides the torrential rain and the mess they were making,

Is anybody else amazed at these demonstrations how close people stand to mowers and other machines. I have been to grassland events before and whilst its good to see them working and get reasonably near. You would never dream of going right behind a mower at home

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbob View Post

Is anybody else amazed at these demonstrations how close people stand to mowers and other machines. I have been to grassland events before and whilst its good to see them working and get reasonably near. You would never dream of going right behind a mower at home
    Everyone has to do a risk assessment and there were marshals on every plot during this demo when machines were working. But yes, some people always seem oblivious of the danger and many don't seem to be aware of what is going on around them either.

prongy

Quote Originally Posted by farmerbob View Post

Only proves how thick some people are, probably the same type that throw drawbar pins etc into the swath, to see if they can blow a chopper up. But hey knife speed on a disc mower of 180mph plus, and a few kilos of forager blade flying about never hurt anyone.

Enry

Quote Originally Posted by dyna6 View Post
    My mate said they all got 'stuck' in MF and Kuhn included

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by Enry View Post
    My mate said they all got 'stuck' in MF and Kuhn included
    Yes they did. That picture was taken from concrete or hardstanding and muddy area was a turning area off the yard, with a catering or trade stand just to the right of the camera man iirc. The area below the mower was uncut and although I saw the twin mower run two or three times during the day, along with the following tedders, rake and balers, only about an acre to an acre and half were cut in total on that plot out of an available 6 to 8. The headlands were done during previous drier days as far as I know.

You should see the water running out of the gate from the field where the static stands and NH were! That's to the left of the mown area you see at the top of that picture. There was almost a river running down the 50 yards from the top and out of the gateway. It was truly awful weather and by 4pm there were already floods further west.
    Someone said that earlier in the day, Kuhn had erected a gazebo by the top hedge where the machines are parked and that it had been blown over the hedge and way up into the NH plot behind.

I wonder what has happened to the harvested water in the bales and clamp? It must have been carried out and dumped somewhere as it is not fit forage and a huge pollution risk if left in storage?

I didn't see a single machine actually fail to work on any plot, so it didn't show anyone up as such. Who would care anyway? No sane person would harvest a commercial crop in anything like those conditions.

The crowd, such as it was, was sparse in the fields, the rain being torrential and near horizontal with no let-up all day. The main refreshment and conference building was crowded all day.

It was, in so many ways, an amazing event. I hope the people who attended, both farmers and trade, found it somehow worthwhile. So many people put so much work and commitment into it. I just look at it from the farming and farmer viewpoint.

NH powerstar

maybe they felt that the time and effort taken to gather the machinery together, justified the event to go ahead regardless. im sure anyone involved would have enjoyed perfect weather but that is very unpredictable and in todays economic situation who can afford to plan for showcase events and be prepared to change at such short notice to accommodate the weather?

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by NH powerstar View Post
    maybe they felt that the time and effort taken to gather the machinery together, justified the event to go ahead regardless. im sure anyone involved would have enjoyed perfect weather but that is very unpredictable and in todays economic situation who can afford to plan for showcase events and be prepared to change at such short notice to accommodate the weather?
    That the event went ahead probably proves that you are correct. But I wondered then, and continue to wonder today, whether all that mud-plugging and waste did show a benefit to anyone that justified it.

I find it odd that most commentators don't consider the land and the farm and farmer, as I do, preferring to glory in the sparsely viewed mess and the manufacturer's and dealer's commitment to pushing on regardless. Is it a macho thing?

NH powerstar

i find it odd that in todays world of instant information; i.e the world wide web manufacturers bother with multiple events. surely the likes of farming forum gives everybody a half decent nod as to what is junk and what is useful. run one good event in the UK per year and the word will soon spread.

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by NH powerstar View Post
    i find it odd that in todays world of instant information; i.e the world wide web manufacturers bother with multiple events. surely the likes of farming forum gives everybody a half decent nod as to what is junk and what is useful. run one good event in the UK per year and the word will soon spread.
    In essence I agree. This event was a bit of an oddball though in that its primary objective was to raise money for the host County to contribute to the Royal Welsh Show which is [rather amazingly] a registered charity.
    Since the host is the chairman, there was huge, if only self imposed, pressure on him to keep the event running and it really is to his great credit and indeed cost that it was so well organised and went ahead.

I took the view that as a matter of respect, the amount of grass cut and mess made should be absolutely minimised while the show went on to an acceptable extent. None of my business really but, as mentioned, I looked at it from the farmer's perspective primarily. This makes me stand out here by the looks of it. Which is very odd, this being a farmer's forum.