Thread: System for basic steer and auto boom shutoff

Jonathan

System for basic steer and auto boom shutoff

Hello all. Like it says on the tin, I am trying to work out a system that will do the following

1. Auto boom shut off on a Bateman Hi Lo 2001
    2. Auto steer movable between machines

Accuracy not really important, 6 - 10inches would be fine as we will still drill with the mk 1 eyeball (dad fears if he uses autosteer he will go into autosleep), and he is happy to steer the sprayer to but can't get the hang of boom turn of and on points since moving from 12m to 24m. I wish for his life to be made easier hence looking at automation.

We can also see the value of using auto steer or at least some form of guidance for when we use the Unipress, cultivator and probably the combine to. Don't want to go VRA as we are a small farm and can't see the benefits, plus we use an old Kuhn aero. I do want a system that could be upgraded in a few years time incase things change, but it strikes me that any system than can do auto boom shut off is going to be auto steer capable anyway.

As a background to the decision being made here, primarily this route is being looked at for making life easier for dad, not taking the farm to some new level of efficiency (although every little helps). He is only 68 and loves his farming (getting a contractor in is not an option) but in my wisdom I decided he needed more time off and he agreeed, so I rather pushed him into buying bigger kit to get the job done quicker and give him more free time, but the sprayer is proving difficult for him to manage and he does not wish to part with control of the spraying to a third party, and neither should we need to on our small acreage. We have had a couple of good years, we are well kitted up and there is a bit of money to spend, particulary with the grants on offer at the moment, so why not spend a bit on making the man on the seats life easier/better.

Any ideas on systems would help - I have read through the hundred of posts and feel I can get a handle on options for autosteer but not the auto boom shut off, and it seems best to have these integrated into a single system, or not? I don't know really how the boom control works.

Thanks in advance

fergie35

Re: System for basic steer and auto boom shutoff

I'd give AS Communications a ring and look at the FX750 with Ez Steer, sounds like it would fit the bill for you at not too much expense, I'm sure fieldtrack will be able to give you a "rough" idea on price as he's normally pretty accurate.

http://www.trimble.com/agriculture/c...dtID=overview&

http://www.trimble.com/agriculture/e...dtID=overview&

Field Track

Pick what is important to you first and price on each level. Boom section control needs a VRA unlock on Trimble I think. Same goes for a simple on/off control, so you might find other brands do this easier, or cheaper I don't know. Just saying you'll be only using a sub-section of what you can do with a VRA unlock. Not a major issue if you factor in the future where it might become more useful, etc.

Nothing VRA, boom on and off needs great accuracy but it is never a bad idea to factor in upgraded signals and possibly the option to auto steer, as once you go down the GPS route you can see so many more uses of the tech.

We got lightbars and instantly saw the potential. We were auto steering within the year.

Trimble VRA unlock is around the 700 mark but to control the on and off on a sprayer will probably need another box to control it, etc. It would be nice if you could have a simple on/off relay switch without the VRA unlock and control boxes I admit.

To keep things simple I would certainly source all the parts from the same dealer. Most will do what you want one way, or another. I'm not 'up' on boom section control but it certainly works well. A good bit of the cost would be all the switches to each section. You can have as few, or as many as you want. I'm sure you'll have a contractor with something similar local you could enquire about.

Getting late so you might want to ask specific queries and GPS dealers might still be your best call. All very much do the same thing. Deduce where you are and decide to switch x, y, z switch on, or off basically. You might also want to go see some GPS screens working boom control, as it ain't cheap and you want to factor in the 'can father handle this', as I wouldn't like to say which brand might do a 'turn key and go' option. Someone once asked me whether all this tech meant any numbty could do the job. Not quite is my answer. Your job just changes from driving to managing. Some take to tech better than others

Rob

Jonathan
    Speak to your TNS rep. I sell them topcon equipment. Would be happy to show you a demo machine running our system or even poss demo on your machine.
    Rob Thurkettle

Ps. I am fitting a system 350 to an mf6499 in north Suffolk soon. Let me know if you would like to see it

Jonathan

Thanks for the replies gents, helpful stuff and I can now have a word with dealers with a better idea of what I am talking about

Northdowns Farmer

Hi Jonathan I had a Teejet matrix system fitted to my Bateman over winter. Simple system of on/off boom control and guidance which can be upgraded to auto steer if/when required. No extra plumbing needed, only downside is operating 4 x 6 metre sections so no big savings on overlaps. Had it fitted by Tony Butler at GM Rowland sprayers who are in your area. I am pleased with its accuracy and simplicity and realatively inexpensive. Recommend the large screen model.

ND

R Wornham

[QUOTE=Northdowns Farmer;945179]Hi Jonathan I had a Teejet matrix system fitted to my Bateman over winter. Simple system of on/off boom control and guidance which can be upgraded to auto steer if/when required. No extra plumbing needed, only downside is operating 4 x 6 metre sections so no big savings on overlaps. Had it fitted by Tony Butler at GM Rowland sprayers who are in your area. I am pleased with its accuracy and simplicity and realatively inexpensive. Recommend the large screen model

Apollogies if I am crashing in on you but what sort of cost and which sort Bateman. Regards Robert

Jonathan

[QUOTE=R Wornham;945946]
    Quote Originally Posted by Northdowns Farmer View Post
    Hi Jonathan I had a Teejet matrix system fitted to my Bateman over winter. Simple system of on/off boom control and guidance which can be upgraded to auto steer if/when required. No extra plumbing needed, only downside is operating 4 x 6 metre sections so no big savings on overlaps. Had it fitted by Tony Butler at GM Rowland sprayers who are in your area. I am pleased with its accuracy and simplicity and realatively inexpensive. Recommend the large screen model

Apollogies if I am crashing in on you but what sort of cost and which sort Bateman. Regards Robert
    About to ask the same question

Field Track

Teejet do make one of the simplest interfaces for sure. How good, or expensive their auto steer is I don't know.

http://www.teejet.com/english/home/p...h-manager.aspx

http://www.teejet.com/english/home/t...formation.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshlwtbSR6U

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Field Track View Post
    Teejet do make one of the simplest interfaces for sure. How good, or expensive their auto steer is I don't know.

http://www.teejet.com/english/home/p...h-manager.aspx

http://www.teejet.com/english/home/t...formation.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshlwtbSR6U
    Starting to think I am going about this the wrong way and should look at auto steer system for tractors and combine (TX64) and have simple light bar and section controller in the sprayer.

Rob

I'll email you more details tomorrow when I'm back at work.
    Rob
    May be worth going for the defra 40% farming and forestry grant!
    I'll help you with the application if you like

Field Track

Auto steer is, in my view, of little value on a sprayer unless the tramlines are placed by GPS, or you are on ground that has no tramlines. If tramlines are placed by another machine then they'll never be spot on even with RTK. When I say 'another machine' I mean a 3m drill. Steering tramlines isn't a bad job. Steering endlessly on a tillage machine, drill, combine etc is another matter.

Getting the best for all uses isn't easy and factoring in an older gent might be pushing it. Boom control and lightbar/coverage log for sprayer auto-steer and possibly ungraded signal for tillage and drilling. Doing this will not be a cheap option compared to rolling everything into a single package but you can better focus the 'right' tool for each user, etc.

I upgraded from a 500 to a Trimble 750 for no real reason other than to downgrade the 500 to the combine and VRA ferting, as well as tillage and rolling work. Might even venture to the sprayer but that could be a while off yet. The sprayer uses some old Teejet lightbar, so I might look into expanding that before maybe using the old 500, though I'm not sure what the older Teejet 220 are capable of really.

Again I think they all probably provide 'easy to use' interfaces. Some are standard and some you might have to dumb them down. Either way the best way forward is get some dealers round and see which work with father really. They all work, prices may vary but you want something someone can use and this is a 'harder' fix than for possibly a younger fellow, no disrespect intended. Just been realistic.

Jonathan

Thinking this through again - I need to get a uncomplicated way of turning booms on and off. I don't have need for assisted steer on the sprayer, although some positional guidance would help (i.e mean no need to mark the field out which takes some time) for pre em on the peas and OSR. Thats Job 1.

I also would like something to assist with steering on the combine and tillage tractors - although the use overlap could be a problem here, hence a preference for easy portability. I don't see that they sprayer use and the tillage/combine use would particularly overlap as we don't spray off ahead of the drill, although the pre em rape spraying might mean a quick swap. So one system that does it all has a clear advantage and I am sure that ease of use will be very important. Father is very bright and IT literate, but easily frustrated when "computer says no" . The ability to upgrade to RTK is very important as I have often seen that the hardest job is getting a new thing 'on farm' once its there and appreciated the idea gets bought into and developed quickly. Drilling will go assisted steer in due course but step at a time - hence need to upgrade in a few years time, plus when muggins here gets out of his tweed and red trousers and onto the drilling tractor and tries manual guidance is can look rather tragic.
    I have clients with every system under the sun and the sensible ones i have spoken to (i.e the ones that can actually admit when something does not work) have said that Trimble do a very affordable integrated system with good and affordable access to RTK , Topcon do a more expensive system but have an excellent screen/unit in the X30 and Agleeder do something very good for controlling sprayers. Interestingly the view of John Deere units was that they were "ok" but those that I spoke to won't have anything other than JD on the farm and want the JD system for the JD tractor and I don't they looked at any other unit. I have seen a few big yellow tits on sprayers around here, so JD must do something sprayer related. This leads me to a side issue in that we hire a JD tractor for each harvest for 8 - 9 weeks as our primary cultivations tractor and our main tractor is a John Deere. Does this mean i should be looking harder at the JD systems? I looked before at the Suffolk Show and was not hugely impressed on a costs benefit basis compared to other systems, but that was last year. The we get into Leica etc which I have never come across but seems very popular on here.
    So I think to get us started, one fully integrated system would be best or at least one system that controls other systems which stay on the sprayer. It must be simple to use once set up that is important. Going to go of the 40% grant and from what I have seen at work, should be easy to get.
    Thanks for the various offers of help gents - will be speaking to some of you in the week in-between machinery auctions and the Norfolk Show!
    Cheers