Thread: Draper headers.

Derky

Draper headers.

Currently pick up 2 swaths at a time with combine header but wondering about a draper header whats everyone views ?

czechmate

Re: Draper headers.

I prefere a pick up header. A wide one for a bigger combine would be a dear item! And you would lose some of the advantage of the swath just flowing straight in. I have a bigger combine this year, will stick with the 14ft swaths and single row pick up - I'll be the one flying across the fields in top gear

Jon

Work very well, but there comes a point with combine size when 1 swath isn't big enough. 16ft swath matches very nicely with NH TX68 or 78 but struggle to keep a CR980 full to the detriment of sample, grain loss or both.

shoulders

if the swather man has done a good job you are ok but if the old boy has been on the swather and there are some lumps about taking two swaths can be hard and damaging this is when a draper header is good

Mayo

The Americans have swathers which have ridiculous headers on the front. Presumably this would keep anything but a Lex 770 or something happy with a draper header on the front?

Derky

I think the problem comes in keeping the combine full eh ?

willb

Quote Originally Posted by Derky View Post
    I think the problem comes in keeping the combine full eh ?
    I think less of a problem if you are running a Straw Walker machine.

Clive

does no one make drapers that can pick up 2 or 3 swaths ? surely there would be a market now combines are bigger ?

Michael S

So long as you have reasonable stubble height I think undercutting will go quicker than a draper anyway. Perhaps lower losses with the draper?

Michael

knockie

I remember we once tried a draper on our 8010 years back, that was with 16' and 18' swaths and we just couldnt get enough into the combine. The best we managed in a day in swaths was 70 acres, jumped into direct cut stuff and we were banging out 120 acres a day easy.
    The draper header was the limiting factor clutches etc wernt up to the job.
    Yes, on a smaller combine they work fine.
    Ta.
    SD.