Thread: S/H Rakes

ben01269

S/H Rakes

Looking at S/H rakes and have found a claas 760 twin rotor and was wondering are they any good
    what are the pros and cons on them and what other rakes are there out there that can compare price wise

I have heard Claas are the best of the best when it comes to rakes is this true

Cowabunga

Re: S/H Rakes

Quote Originally Posted by ben01269 View Post
    Looking at S/H rakes and have found a claas 760 twin rotor and was wondering are they any good
    what are the pros and cons on them and what other rakes are there out there that can compare price wise

I have heard Claas are the best of the best when it comes to rakes is this true
    No, it is not true. But there is nothing wrong with them. They do a good job when they are new but do require a lot of labour when they go wrong in the cam track area. Have never heard anyone say that a particular rake is rubbish yet. Some have better features than others that may be useful to some people, like manual or hydraulic width adjustment, ground contour following, tine safety, better steering, easier service and repair, better reliability and so on, but nobody has made the perfect rake. [or the perfect anything for that matter].

ben01269

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    No, it is not true. But there is nothing wrong with them. They do a good job when they are new but do require a lot of labour when they go wrong in the cam track area. Have never heard anyone say that a particular rake is rubbish yet. Some have better features than others that may be useful to some people, like manual or hydraulic width adjustment, ground contour following, tine safety, better steering, easier service and repair, better reliability and so on, but nobody has made the perfect rake. [or the perfect anything for that matter].
    so would it be a good rake for the correct money its around 1700

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by ben01269 View Post
    so would it be a good rake for the correct money its around 1700
    Only you can say that as you are the one that's seen it. For that money it must be 'well used', ancient or roughish.
    OTOH you might well have a bargain on your hands.

I bought something similar years ago and it did me OK for six or seven years. Mine was well used but it worked pretty well reliably up 'till a crown wheel and pinion slippage last year.

Mine was a Krone and more complex than the Claas.