Thread: Hardi Twin air assisted, air bag sprayers

Rob Holmes

Hardi Twin air assisted, air bag sprayers

Does anyone know much about these, they look a good idea but been around for ages but not many about.

http://www.hardi.co.uk/gb/products/s...ir-assistance/

Colhonk

Re: Hardi Twin air assisted, air bag sprayers

Yes. I have used a one for the last 18 years, it is a mounted one and I have just upgraded it to 18 metre booms off a machine I bought from the Netherlands.
    My view is that I cannot understand why everyone who sprays do not use this type of machine, apart from the fact the Hardi booms are a bit weak but if people treat them properly then no probs.
    The other air bag sprayers that were around completely missed the point of the airbag principle.
    I watch my nieghbours spraying several fields away and can see their spray drift blowing away and evaporating ect but not reaching the crop, where as I can barely see the spray from mine from the tractor seat.
    people who think they do but dont, dont realise just how much spray they are wasting, even on a still day ( when they should not be spraying in fact)
    people who reckon to know, tell that about 5% loss from flat fans in perfect conditions at 50cm above crop,but at 1 metre above 4x to a hell of a lot is lost, any slight breeze or gale(as some around here do) and what a waste of spray, above that height with your yawing mega width booms and you waste a lot.
    just my two penneth worth.
    Last year at a trials site near here 8 metre wide strips had been srayed in a wheat field using most of these fancy non drift and angled this way and that and a strip with flat fans (which was easy to see was the cleanest) but ALL had the same problem showing up with the paper strips at various heights in the corn.a big lack of penetration, so theres your solution an air bag sprayer with adjustable air slot. simples.

devils advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Colhonk View Post
    Yes. I have used a one for the last 18 years, it is a mounted one and I have just upgraded it to 18 metre booms off a machine I bought from the Netherlands.
    My view is that I cannot understand why everyone who sprays do not use this type of machine, apart from the fact the Hardi booms are a bit weak but if people treat them properly then no probs.
    The other air bag sprayers that were around completely missed the point of the airbag principle.
    I watch my nieghbours spraying several fields away and can see their spray drift blowing away and evaporating ect but not reaching the crop, where as I can barely see the spray from mine from the tractor seat.
    people who think they do but dont, dont realise just how much spray they are wasting, even on a still day ( when they should not be spraying in fact)
    people who reckon to know, tell that about 5% loss from flat fans in perfect conditions at 50cm above crop,but at 1 metre above 4x to a hell of a lot is lost, any slight breeze or gale(as some around here do) and what a waste of spray, above that height with your yawing mega width booms and you waste a lot.
    just my two penneth worth.
    Last year at a trials site near here 8 metre wide strips had been srayed in a wheat field using most of these fancy non drift and angled this way and that and a strip with flat fans (which was easy to see was the cleanest) but ALL had the same problem showing up with the paper strips at various heights in the corn.a big lack of penetration, so theres your solution an air bag sprayer with adjustable air slot. simples.
    Really interesting. Do you cut rates of chemical? & how much? There must be times when crop damage is possible with full rates? Also do you use less water (legal problems with some products) & does this make a smaller sprayer have a much higher work rate?

Also of course is the air bag hard to maintain? & how do you know if you have a blocked nozzle?

Godber

Brought one of the first Hardi Twins back in the mid eighties and still use an airbag today.

Been using a Case SP for the last 10yrs having had boom trouble on both Hardi's before it.

I agree generally with Colhonk's post in that its mainly a win win concept. Cost (if buying new), a bit more weight, a bit more diesal, and a bit more conplexity on the downside and you can get more drift on bare ground for example if your not 'tuned in'.

I can convince myself that Atlantis spraying with a little swept back air on those small blackgrass plants gives it an edge. When we grew beans those Bruchid beetles and eggs down below had a stirring and dose. Generally we don't cut rates but hopefully get the best out of the application.

Colhonk
    Hi DA
    I do cut rates but it depends on what I am using. Hardi recommend about 20%,thats on contact acting chems. I used to use 100 lts of water a hec but now use 150 lts for the last few years as it is better for mixing mineral powders ect in and I can get around most of my wheat in a long day traveling at 11k hr.
    I have never ploughed this centuary and do REAL min till and am very carefull when drilling to end up with no hills and holes at the headlands to bounce over.
    Yes, as Godbar said, have to be carefullof not using too much air on bare ground but a small amount is much better than non! I have never had my air flow anywhere near full on,even when dessicating my OSR, which it is brilliant for.
    The airbag on my old booms is 22 years old and no worse than new, it all depends on how the machine is treated, my new 18 metre booms have a new spurrious airsleeves on which cost me 800 extra to be fitted from where I bought it from.
    You can just about see the spray coming out of the nozzles, even better when the sun is shining'
    Also you can angle the air slot with the nozzles when there is a head or following breeze which helps prevent drift as well.
    I think that in years gone by that a lot of people just did not or could not grasp how to use airbags properly and so have been put off them.