Thread: MF 148

4ODH4N

MF 148

we have one of these at home and its due a bit of t.l.c. as it has become very difficiult to start and is not as sharp as it used to be. It has done about 8000 hours and up until last year was the main tractor on the farm. It is still responsible for mowing/topping 30+ac a year, does any small square baling, spends a few days pulling a trailer that carries three round bales of silage at a time along with most of the odd jobs about the place, so it still holding it own and cant really be retired

On the cards is to get the injectors done, the valves checked and probably the head skimmed. If needed, it will get pistons and liners, and this is what my question relates too!... a few ppl have said that the new stuff that you get now is muck in comparison to the originals and is only made for restoration purposes and puttering about on light work? They would not last doing couple hour shifts driving a disk mower through heavy grass in third high , or pulling 4ton of gravel home from the local quarry.

Is there any truth to this?, maybe can anyone recommend a brand that would be better than the rest?, or would it be best to keep the originals and maybe just replace the rings or something?? Never done anything like this before so just doing my homework before a start is made

thanks!

multi power

Re: MF 148

i would stick with genuine massey parts, doubt they will be much dearer anyway

MF-ANDY

Quote Originally Posted by multi power View Post
    i would stick with genuine massey parts, doubt they will be much dearer anyway
    +1 if you are not in a hurry, get your dealer to order the parts on a stock order. i think they will be competitive

TP

We sold an MF 148 many years ago that ended up in Donegal,it was a great wee machine but just too small for the implements we'd accrued,as there weren't that many about I was wondering if by any chance you could have it.Did you buy yours new/secondhand? If the latter does it have a sekura rigid cab?

If you need liners have the block bored out and unfinished liners pressed in then bored to size,this is a far superior job to the original thin walled slip in liner and not a huge amount more money.

superspec

If you need liners have the block bored out and unfinished liners pressed in then bored to size,this is a far superior job to the original thin walled slip in liner and not a huge amount more money.
    They were originally fitted with unfinished liners and bored out when new.(interferance fit, not slip fit)

I used a genuine MF engine kit in my 148 and also bought a valve kit, guides valves and springs.

Also i used running in oil to prevent glazing for the first fill.

Im told ATS England engine kits are very good quality, but ive no first hand experiance of them.

I would go through the engine and do it right, It gives you peace of mind and also would be in top condition if you come to sell it, as they are quite rare.

4ODH4N

Quote Originally Posted by TP View Post
    We sold an MF 148 many years ago that ended up in Donegal,it was a great wee machine but just too small for the implements we'd accrued,as there weren't that many about I was wondering if by any chance you could have it.Did you buy yours new/secondhand? If the latter does it have a sekura rigid cab?

we did buy secondhand, am guessing it was around 86-88, the tractor would have been about ten years old when we got it and I was told it did come from England. Its registered as 76 on its current irish plates, if they are to be believed!, but they still cant register imports here correctly so it could be a few years out!!

This is a recent pic, looking a bit worse for ware , but going to start from the inside out and hopefully bring her back to her former glory

In our time we have added the front weight carrier and power steering and a set of tyres!, everything else is pretty much how she came i think (I'm not sure what make of cab is on it!?)

4ODH4N

Quote Originally Posted by superspec View Post
    They were originally fitted with unfinished liners and bored out when new.(interferance fit, not slip fit)

I used a genuine MF engine kit in my 148 and also bought a valve kit, guides valves and springs.

Also i used running in oil to prevent glazing for the first fill.

Im told ATS England engine kits are very good quality, but ive no first hand experiance of them.

I would go through the engine and do it right, It gives you peace of mind and also would be in top condition if you come to sell it, as they are quite rare.
    didn't realise you could still get genuine MF kits, thats the way I'll be going then!

agrimax

That would be a Duncan cab.

btd-6

The "genuine MF kits" will probably still be made in Turkey, India, or somewhere like that, just like sparex, bepco or vapormatic kits are.

Only difference, it will come in MF packaging to make you feel you have a better product and cost a bit more money!

multi power

Quote Originally Posted by btd-6 View Post
    The "genuine MF kits" will probably still be made in Turkey, India, or somewhere like that, just like sparex, bepco or vapormatic kits are.

Only difference, it will come in MF packaging to make you feel you have a better product and cost a bit more money!
    thats disturbing to know, i would have hoped they would have come from perkins in peterborough

multi power

Quote Originally Posted by 4ODH4N View Post
    didn't realise you could still get genuine MF kits, thats the way I'll be going then!
    im slowly tidying up my 1200 n i can get lots of parts no problem, chandlers at belton are realy good, local dealer waste of time

btd-6

thats disturbing to know, i would have hoped they would have come from perkins in peterborough
    The Massey Ferguson 10+ parts are described as "Massey Ferguson Engineering approved replacement parts".

These are low price replacement parts suitable for 100 series and older MF tractors.

multi power

Quote Originally Posted by btd-6 View Post
    The Massey Ferguson 10+ parts are described as "Massey Ferguson Engineering approved replacement parts".

These are low price replacement parts suitable for 100 series and older MF tractors.
    you are 100% correct, just the truth may be a little uncomfortable

Cowabunga

Perkins haven't made the ad3.152 in decades. However, the MF parts should be spot-on.

Should be.

They are only human though.

I think.

erm......the people who source the parts that is, not the parts themselves.

I'll get my coat....