Thread: alternative to row cleaners?

shakerator

alternative to row cleaners?

i have been thinking about using some liquid n with various other ingredients to aid stubble breakdown after harvest.

if you used an at planting liquid fert rig, and concentrated a biomulch type product over the slot at drilling, would this improve warming in spring by speeding degradation where its needed and in doing so achieve a result similar to strip till?
    row cleaners can work on wide spacing but dont think id even want beans @ 20 inch

has anyone seen any results from using stubble digester products?

thanks

Willscale

Re: alternative to row cleaners?

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    i have been thinking about using some liquid n with various other ingredients to aid stubble breakdown after harvest.

if you used an at planting liquid fert rig, and concentrated a biomulch type product over the slot at drilling, would this improve warming in spring by speeding degradation where its needed and in doing so achieve a result similar to strip till?
    row cleaners can work on wide spacing but dont think id even want beans @ 20 inch

has anyone seen any results from using stubble digester products?

thanks
    I'm sure Devon James has met a guy from Lincs who uses row cleaners on his 750? I forget his name now and I don't think he's on here but has been to some DD meetings.

doorknob

I did a trial using Agro K "bio-mulch", and a product by Loveland called "accomplish". I left strips of untreated wheat stubble between them. This was not a professional or legitimate trial with documentation, just my own trial. Spraying it on standing stubble at recommended rates made no visual difference. I no-tilled tillage radish into the stubble this spring. It is the field in the video of my planting the radish. Still cant see any benefit as far as stubble integrity or breakdown after much rainfall. But that is only visual observance.

JD had an optional attachment for one of their planters a long time ago. I cant find it right now, but I was looking at adapting it to the single disk opener for clearing a path in front of the disk. It is a piece of round spring with a coil at the top where it mounted to the row unit bracket. Basically it would rub along the surface just in front of the planter disks and because it was spring, it would self clear from all the wiggle movement. It would not detach root crowns, but would/could clear some of the loose residue from directly in front of the disk.

crooky

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    We used to drill our winter beans at 20''

But now we are at 24''.