Thread: Fishing

Fishing

For a clue for the future of Agriculture after Brexit......
    Substitute the word Farming for Fishing.
    Doubtful if any industry voted more overwhelmingly for Brexit that the Fishing Industry.
    Well and truly shafted and hoisted from their own Petard.
    Hard luck chaps, they will trawl your fish.....and by the way we don’t want any imports from you either!
    And all the more poignant, didn’t Gove hail from a Fishy background in The Aberdeen area?
    Road to hell and all that......

Re: Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    For a clue for the future of Agriculture after Brexit......
    Substitute the word Farming for Fishing.
    Doubtful if any industry voted more overwhelmingly for Brexit that the Fishing Industry.
    Well and truly shafted and hoisted from their own Petard.
    Hard luck chaps, they will trawl your fish.....and by the way we don’t want any imports from you either!
    And all the more poignant, didn’t Gove hail from a Fishy background in The Aberdeen area?
    Road to hell and all that......
    Gee,
    I am afraid you do have a very valid point, however Gove did say in Parliament yesterday that we would have fishing rights after the transition period.
    The whole problem with this Brexit scenario is that the whole initiative has been taken by Europe. They would not negotiate with Cameron. help him with a problem of rapidly expanding population, whether benefit tourists or not.
    It was Europes fault we had a referendum not ours. They then bullied our politicians who may have been remoaners anyway.
    The big problem is the establishment of fat cats like Clegg who will lose their pensions.
    Like you, I am afeared for farming, but to a certain extent it was going to come anyway, the Conservatives have never been any good for farmers anyway.
    Watch this space!

jack caley

Jack. Interesting what you say about the Tories not being of benefit to farmers. I once knew an old boy who was a veg. grower. He had a couple of farms and had worked hard all his life but until his dying day he swore that he had always done better under a Labour Government than any Tory one.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Jack. Interesting what you say about the Tories not being of benefit to farmers. I once knew an old boy who was a veg. grower. He had a couple of farms and had worked hard all his life but until his dying day he swore that he had always done better under a Labour Government than any Tory one.
    The 1947 agriculture act came from a Labour government, the conservatives screwed agriculture under the compensatory payments.
    The conservatives have always believed in free trade and low food prices.
    There can only be one fall guy.
    jack caley

What is going to happen about all the UK quota that was sold away by the owners of thr big boats on retirement.
    The problems of UK fishing had started long before. entering the EU. The old fleets were being replaced by a few very large boats able to catch the same in a few days as a whole fleet had taken a week to do in the past.
    I used to go sea fishing a lot, ( rod and line ) and heard many of the skippers bemoaning their lot as they had been pushed out by the big boys.
    It was a bit like if you were a farmer and there was nothing to stop your neighbour cutting all your corn with his Lexion before your MF 780 could get through it and there was nothing you could do.
    I remember the glee that so many of them had, when one of these super boats was wrecked in Looe ( I think it was ) Harbour the wreck was left for years as the owner had gone bust in the disaster and the locals always had ax smile as they told the tale.
    losing the Icelandic fishing grounds meant these big trawlers turned their attention to other waters and species. They were of course awarded quota by the EU and due to the vagaries of the market most of this quota ended up in Dutch and Spanish hands.
    Will we have to buy this back off them, or will they be allowed to carry on fishing our waters as they have been for the last 40 years. Whatever there are still a huge amount of rows to come.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    What is going to happen about all the UK quota that was sold away by the owners of thr big boats on retirement.
    The problems of UK fishing had started long before. entering the EU. The old fleets were being replaced by a few very large boats able to catch the same in a few days as a whole fleet had taken a week to do in the past.
    I used to go sea fishing a lot, ( rod and line ) and heard many of the skippers bemoaning their lot as they had been pushed out by the big boys.
    It was a bit like if you were a farmer and there was nothing to stop your neighbour cutting all your corn with his Lexion before your MF 780 could get through it and there was nothing you could do.
    I remember the glee that so many of them had, when one of these super boats was wrecked in Looe ( I think it was ) Harbour the wreck was left for years as the owner had gone bust in the disaster and the locals always had ax smile as they told the tale.
    losing the Icelandic fishing grounds meant these big trawlers turned their attention to other waters and species. They were of course awarded quota by the EU and due to the vagaries of the market most of this quota ended up in Dutch and Spanish hands.
    Will we have to buy this back off them, or will they be allowed to carry on fishing our waters as they have been for the last 40 years. Whatever there are still a huge amount of rows to come.
    What you are describing is the same thing that has been going on in most industries around the world - industries sectors (fishing, milk, eggs, lumber, . . .) are being gobbled up by "bigger fish" which in turn are being gobbled up global conglomerates who syphon the majority of their profits to offshore tax havens. This makes it increasingly difficult for new entrants to get a foothold (i.e. a new farmer).

Part of the problem, on this side of the pond, is quotas - the original quota holder was GIVEN the quota by the government but was permitted to SELL the quota to someone else. As an example, over here the quota for selling milk is worth more than the farm, including the herd.

just my nickel and a half.

Passports.
    Ms Leadsom a leading Brexiteer yesterday in parliament....answering questions about the wisdom of sourcing UK passports from our dear neighbours the “Gaulles”.
    The message.....tough luck, we couldn’t care less, and we will pursue the cheapest alternative from wherever....
    For Passports substitute the word Farming.....
    £120m cheaper????? how many passports does that cover?
    Stinks of French government tricks and cash, designed to trap gullible UK Politicos in a mire of embarrassment.
    Have all the Sir Humphries been shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Passports.
    Ms Leadsom a leading Brexiteer yesterday in parliament....answering questions about the wisdom of sourcing UK passports from our dear neighbours the “Gaulles”.
    The message.....tough luck, we couldn’t care less, and we will pursue the cheapest alternative from wherever....
    For Passports substitute the word Farming.....
    £120m cheaper????? how many passports does that cover?
    Stinks of French government tricks and cash, designed to trap gullible UK Politicos in a mire of embarrassment.
    Have all the Sir Humphries been shot?
    what would you think if we contracted out the printing of our currency? A howl of outrage if it was to come from abroad, some Johnny Foreigner printing OUR money!

Well this country is one of the worlds largest printers of currency, if not the largest. We print for numerous nations who care not a jot thankfully as it keeps many people employed in very high paid jobs. if they all took the same attitude we would be the losers.

Was not Brexit about free trade!

Defra have now acknowledged , and I suspect a certain Michael Gove must too, that leaving the EU is going to make very little difference to our fishing industry , it may even lessen landings.
    88% of the welsh quota is owned and fished by boats from other EU nations.
    50% of English quota is likewise.
    To demonstrate the extent of the problem the industry has got, is that 20% of the British quota is actually owned by 1 Spanish boat, currently operating out of Vigo.
    This situation will not change after Brexit, but if we get in a Tarriff row with the EU it means even less fish will be landed here as currently substantial landings here are exported on to the rest of the EU . The boats will just go and land across the North Sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Defra have now acknowledged , and I suspect a certain Michael Gove must too, that leaving the EU is going to make very little difference to our fishing industry , it may even lessen landings.
    88% of the welsh quota is owned and fished by boats from other EU nations.
    50% of English quota is likewise.
    To demonstrate the extent of the problem the industry has got, is that 20% of the British quota is actually owned by 1 Spanish boat, currently operating out of Vigo.
    This situation will not change after Brexit, but if we get in a Tarriff row with the EU it means even less fish will be landed here as currently substantial landings here are exported on to the rest of the EU . The boats will just go and land across the North Sea.
    As far as I know, it is already happening. Just where I saw it I cannot remember but there is a boat registered in Hull that uses our quota but lands regularly in Holland a £1 million catch.So we do not even get any of the processing revenue from that.
    Also today they are still not being fully transparent about our quota post 2020. All they are saying is we will negotiate an exchange of quotas!
    The trouble is we should have immediately after the referendum had a hard Brexit, not allowing Europe to say no free movement, no free market.
    We should have never allowed that woman to go to high court, and set off a stream of pressures on a prime minister who actually voted to remain.
    jack caley