Thread: Glyphosate and pregnant women

Glyphosate and pregnant women

A study of 71 pregnant women in mid-west USA links glyphosate in their urine with shorter pregnancies. To read the full paper, click on Journal Reference: at the end of the article.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0322181335.htm

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 24-03-18 at 10:48 AM. Reason: additional info
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Re: Glyphosate and pregnant women

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    A study of 71 pregnant women in mid-west USA links glyphosate in their urine with shorter pregnancies. To read the full paper, click on Journal Reference: at the end of the article.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0322181335.htm

JV

is this actual detection of Glyphosate or is it detection of breakdown products of the detergents used as spreaders in the product. These products are often detected but are very similar to a wide range of chemicals in the home environment and may well cause issues as found.
    however a study of 70 women is hardly statistically significant
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    is this actual detection of Glyphosate or is it detection of breakdown products of the detergents used as spreaders in the product. These products are often detected but are very similar to a wide range of chemicals in the home environment and may well cause issues as found.
    however a study of 70 women is hardly statistically significant
    Two very good points Exfarmer.

I didn't read the full report of the study, so I don't know what it says - if anything - about non-active ingredients, but I think I'm correct in saying that the authors noted that the study sample was small.

The other salient point they made (as I remember) was that the chemicals they measured in the urine did not come from the water supply. They postulate that there might be a link with increased use of Roundup in the mid-West due to the ubiquity of Roundup Ready plants.

Given all that, I think it wise to keep the risks of herbicide use in mind; there is a great deal we do not know regarding off-target effects.

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 25-03-18 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo corrections

Isn't one of the problems with most chemicals that are produced and used is that they contain additives and surfactants as well as the active ingredient ?

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Isn't one of the problems with most chemicals that are produced and used is that they contain additives and surfactants as well as the active ingredient ?
    Almost certainly. Not only that, glyphosate has been considered as a treatment for humans for malaria:https://www.nature.com/news/1998/980...s980702-2.html

My Weedswiper colleague and I have spent many years trying to discover what else is in Roundup , without success.

JV

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Almost certainly. Not only that, glyphosate has been considered as a treatment for humans for malaria:https://www.nature.com/news/1998/980...s980702-2.html

My Weedswiper colleague and I have spent many years trying to discover what else is in Roundup , without success.

JV
    Glyphosate is not easy to get into the plant, they use a variety of materials all of which acts as wetters which we would call detergents.
    The many makers of glyphosate products use different formulations which is why some are more effective than others , but as we know there is little in them.
    Incidentally Paraquat which was displaced by Glyphosate was actually discovered as chemical by the ICI detergent division.
    It was during screening trials that its power of weed killing was discovered
    As far as I know it never made it into fairy liquid

Exfarmr wrote:

..." Incidentally Paraquat which was displaced by Glyphosate was actually discovered as chemical by the ICI detergent division.
    It was during screening trials that its power of weed killing was discovered
    As far as I know it never made it into fairy liquid ..."

Jeez!

One would hope not!

JV

I always liked paraquat. It wasn't a weed killer as such, more of a dessicant unless it was a very "soft" species or you were applying it at a good rate. But 1 pint/acre would send stuff brown prior to direct drilling kale etc. Problem was that there was no known anti-dote and I know 2 farmers who used it to take their own lives. We were then given diquat but I never rated that. It would burn potato tops off but they are pretty soft anyway. The best chemical for that job was sulphuric acid.

Glyphosate was heaven sent but I had a couple of very mean customers who insisted on mixing it with Nitram (the word on the block was that you could cut the rate if you did this !) and if I remember correctly it was around 60 for 3 litres before the patent ran out. But Nitram took a bit of dissolving in water and was a pain if anyone said they wanted me to do that.

The LD of paraquat is not that high, you need to drink a fair amount, i.e. a couple of table spoons to kill you. This does not compare unfavourably to many washing detergents, possibly not those designed for washing dishes.
    Paraquat only got its bad reputation as it was a suicides choice, being a slow killer , it took 7 - 10 days with no chance of an anti dote there was plenty of time to tell the world, I told you I would do it.
    Actually I believe the early version was more prone to kill by accident, when people decanted it into other bottles, and it was mistaken for Coca Cola.

There was a sickly aroma to paraquat and I often wondered if that had been added as one of the constituents to act as a sort of warning. I do remember how slow the effects were if taken by mouth. Such a terrible thing. As I inferred, I liked it as an ag. chemical but it had to be discontinued and I was, in a strange kind of way, happy when it was. I remember that you had to sign the poisons book when it was purchased, the same as you had to sign it when you bought Cymag. Now that really was a nasty chemical but it sure as Hell worked. And don't even mention strychnine !!

The LD of paraquat is not that high, you need to drink a fair amount, i.e. a couple of table spoons to kill you. This does not compare unfavourably to many washing detergents, possibly not those designed for washing dishes.
    Paraquat only got its bad reputation as it was a suicides choice, being a slow killer , it took 7 - 10 days with no chance of an anti dote there was plenty of time to tell the world, I told you I would do it.
    Actually I believe the early version was more prone to kill by accident, when people decanted it into other bottles, and it was mistaken for Coca Cola.
    We used Paraguat very successfully in growing potatoes, especially early potatoes.
    Instead of interrow cultivations we sprayed paraquat on the first appearance of potato buds. This did not kill the potatoes, but did kill the first emerging weeds. Crop competition controlled further weeds.
    This had several effects, we did not lose moisture, so at the time it reduced the need for irrigation, which we had been considering . It also kept the heat in the banked up potatoes, which meant the crop grew more quickly. One year we planted potatoes on the 20th of March and sold them the 20th of June. We made a fortune by today's standards.
    We also tried to use paraquat as part of a direct drilling experiment, but that turned out to be a disaster, as paraquat did not translocate, as does glyphosphate, we finished up with an explosion of wicks. (remember wicks?).
    All part of history.
    jack caley

I used Gramonol to keep the weeds down in spuds because there was a degree of "residualness" in the chemical but it really had to be sprayed just before any spud leaves appeared. If you missed that time because of rain or something then you could use paraquat, I can't remember what the reccomendation was if using that- no more than 10% showing ? I once sprayed a field of spuds for a customer with 70-80% showing and they looked awful for a couple of weeks but they got over it and cropped O.K.

'76 was the year to be growing spuds. '75 was good but merchants panicked about the drought in '76 (when arguably there was no need to) and the rest is history.

I used Gramonol to keep the weeds down in spuds because there was a degree of "residualness" in the chemical but it really had to be sprayed just before any spud leaves appeared. If you missed that time because of rain or something then you could use paraquat, I can't remember what the reccomendation was if using that- no more than 10% showing ? I once sprayed a field of spuds for a customer with 70-80% showing and they looked awful for a couple of weeks but they got over it and cropped O.K.

'76 was the year to be growing spuds. '75 was good but merchants panicked about the drought in '76 (when arguably there was no need to) and the rest is history.
    Paraquat wqaas also recommended in the early days for spraying beans at a very early stage. Had a neighbour who went in far too late and lost the lot!

Paraquat wqaas also recommended in the early days for spraying beans at a very early stage. Had a neighbour who went in far too late and lost the lot!
    I seem to remember using Linuron and Kerb for beans. Never used Paraquat. Reglone pre-harvest if required.

I sold small potatoes in 1976 for 300 per ton!
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I sold small potatoes in 1976 for 300 per ton!
    jack caley
    in the '70s & '80s a friend used to haul 4 or 5 tons of cull / small potatoes a day for his calf feeder lot - he normally had 90-110 week old to 1 year old calves at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    in the '70s & '80s a friend used to haul 4 or 5 tons of cull / small potatoes a day for his calf feeder lot - he normally had 90-110 week old to 1 year old calves at any given time.
    There was a market for pig spuds as they were called when they came off the riddle but the larger ones needed to be chopped really or cattle could choke on them.