Thread: Digestate application?

Digestate application?

Neighbour has a fairly new AD plant and has offered us digestate (from food waste) Just wanted to get peoples opinion on a few things. Looking to apply on OSR ground in the autumn, they have just purchased a challenger self propelled applicator with dribble bar and injectors system.

-Do I need to be concerned about odour? there are a few houses next to some of the fields where I want it spread. Will injectors be the best way to minimise odour? How long does the smell hang around for? Having driven behind one of their tankers and nearly having to pull over I reckon they'll be plenty of complaints.

-Also just wondering when I apply pre drilling? And what to do after, do I need to mix it in or do I just do standard min-till and drill it asap after spreading?

Will probably get my cousin to drill the OSR in one pass with his vaderstad with rapid lift legs, or will min-till myself with cousins patriot fitted with OSR applicator.

thanks

Re: Digestate application?

Two neighbours have used it for the last couple of years and the stink is horrendous. It wafts over the town and does us farmers no favours among the public. Check it out somewhere where they are spreading to assess the smell first if you are concerned. My two neighbours couldn't give a monkey's.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

if there using a dribble bar that should help keep the smell down . its a food waste plant weve worked with and theres very little smell but that varies from plant to plant

Quote Originally Posted by rob230580 View Post
    Neighbour has a fairly new AD plant and has offered us digestate (from food waste) Just wanted to get peoples opinion on a few things. Looking to apply on OSR ground in the autumn, they have just purchased a challenger self propelled applicator with dribble bar and injectors system.

-Do I need to be concerned about odour? there are a few houses next to some of the fields where I want it spread. Will injectors be the best way to minimise odour? How long does the smell hang around for? Having driven behind one of their tankers and nearly having to pull over I reckon they'll be plenty of complaints.

-Also just wondering when I apply pre drilling? And what to do after, do I need to mix it in or do I just do standard min-till and drill it asap after spreading?

Will probably get my cousin to drill the OSR in one pass with his vaderstad with rapid lift legs, or will min-till myself with cousins patriot fitted with OSR applicator.

thanks
    if it's injected the smell should be "less" if it's on the ground it will need to b incorporated in thee same way if u use chicken shyte, IMO, that's the rules with chicken litter, dose t make the smell any better but you've made the effort to reduce the smell we had some ad digestate put on stubble in autumn, yours truly was running a carrier after it,,, the wife said I couldn't come in the house,,,,,,