Thread: New Holland 339 Double Chop

WILLY A

New Holland 339 Double Chop

I cut my own silage with NH 339 Double Chop.
    With the bad weather i still do not have first cut in.It is now tall and shot with a rotten bottom.
    Would it be better to mow this down in front of harvester or just let the harvester cut and chop like normal.
    I have a PZ drum mower. So no conditioner.
    I am a bit worried that it may not blow the best being heavy and wet. But would mowing it first mean that it is not chopped as well.
    We have a real vintage operation and buckrake with a DB990, draw in with a MF135 and have a CASE IH 2WD 1494 on the harvester.
    Any advice please.

him

Re: New Holland 339 Double Chop

good enough outfit, see worse manys a time.
    unless its different from ours which cant lift it clean as the kidd just cut it standning.

about 9 more acres of baling and we'll have the vintage rally out too-sort off, 339 behind either 8400valmet or mf 6180 drawing with14 by 7 and which ever isnt on doulbe chop, help by 298 4wd if he's on holidays, buckrake on front of 4wd 390.

dont think it worth while taking out mower and getting all the help for the jf 900 when the windows are so short, on steep grond as ours when it rains in years like this it just gets worse, and at least with the double chop u go where u like and stop when u like just the three of us as opposed to 5.

WILLY A

That is what I was thinking. Probably best to take my time and then I can start and stop as I need to.
    Cutting Knives are sharp and paddles are like new and just fraction of belly.
    Still need to give cutting feet a sharp.
    339 is a good we harvester. biggest fault I can find is they are hard on the bearing and housing were the PTO shaft turns.
    Helps if you don't turn to sharp.
    Easier to drive than the tarup handy we used to have.
    Thanks for the replies.

hughf

Yes , in days gone by I have covered a fair bit of ground with a double chop. Always had Kidd or Taarup though . Never tried a NH.
    What i do know is that you had to go slower with either mackine if it had been mowed down first , and also chop length was more erratic.
    I would suggest you keep cutting direct (with sharp flails) and leave the mower for the hay if we'll ever get a break from rain!
    I moved away from the silage cutting when precision chops came in.

Penmoel

We used to mow in front of the 339 and a 37 before that, neither machine really liked mowed grass, in fact I think it speeded up the demise of the 37, bearings in the rear auger and finally in the choppiong cylinder.

The machine is designed for direct cut, do as others saysharp flails, knives and padlles adjusted properly.

eric_t

My father picked up the crop, laid with a Fahr KM22 with a NH 37 occasionally, he used to say it would work, but you had to travel very steadily, else the auger would overload, spill out of the trough, requiring you to go over it again to pick it up cleanly.

Not a very progressive job, a Claas Jaguar 60 soon followed...

massey765

we used use a kidd double cop and when wilting started to be more fashionable, we opened the auger door and mowed it with the double chop leaving a long stubble-10 to 12 " then when picking up ,drop the cutter head down to normal and pick both the direct cut and wilted stuff up in one hit- when mown with flails it dries very quick

eric_t

In the days before conditioners were popular, I have heard of some using a double chop, with the auger door open as you describe, to go over swaths, brought the hay along much quicker so im told...

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by eric_t View Post
    In the days before conditioners were popular, I have heard of some using a double chop, with the auger door open as you describe, to go over swaths, brought the hay along much quicker so im told...
    as long as it didnt rain:cry:

Courier

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    as long as it didnt rain:cry:
    Flail mown second cut hay (after an early 1st cut silage) can be made in a 48 hr window and keep all it's colour & smell without too much risk.

Once had some analysed by ICI and it came out at 12.1% protein.

ReidyNZ

Sorry to buck the trend here - used to run a 339 then a Taarup 502 (some time last century ) - we always mowed first and a lot was rowed with haybob - I would mow, PZ ideal, then pick up in opposite direction, not always the most practical but I assure you it works a lot better.

And press on - IMHO you are better with it a poorer 1st cut in the pit & growing again than putting it off waiting for the ideal conditions, salt & or molassis in the clamp when stacking gives a far more palatable feed - one thing for sure, 1st cut aint improving lying where it is

WILLY A

I had decided 2 weeks ago that I would cut at first oportunity and not worry about grass being totally dry.
    But ground conditions are so bad that you would make a real mess drawing in and some fields are under water.
    Had a very heavy shower this morning only lasted about 10 minutes but fields totally water logged again.
    2 or 3 days dry would make a huge difference.

ReidyNZ

Quote Originally Posted by WILLY A View Post
    I had decided 2 weeks ago that I would cut at first oportunity and not worry about grass being totally dry.
    But ground conditions are so bad that you would make a real mess drawing in and some fields are under water.
    Had a very heavy shower this morning only lasted about 10 minutes but fields totally water logged again.
    2 or 3 days dry would make a huge difference.

Under stand that, same here - but we are in the middle of winter

multi power

given reasonable conditions what sort of dry matter could you get from double chop silage?

Exfarmer

Surely DM is down to the grass and weather conditions
    If you are direct cutting some young grass it will be very low but I have picked up mown grass over 50% when we have got behind

Tha Ulsterscot

We have a real vintage operation and buckrake with a DB990, draw in with a MF135 and have a CASE IH 2WD 1494 on the harvester.
    Glad to hear that I'm not the only one works with Vintage gear :lolk: Just keep her lit, we're all in the same boat an theres nothing we can do about it

him

With the bad weather i still do not have first cut in.It is now tall and shot with a rotten bottom.
    Would it be better to mow this down in front of harvester or just let the harvester cut and chop like normal.
    I have a PZ drum mower. So no conditioner.
    I am a bit worried that it may not blow the best being heavy and wet. But would mowing it first mean that it is not chopped as well.
    Any advice please.
    yep tall and rotten grass not a problem, neighbour got the lend of our 8400 and double chop-339 last night when his stopped lifting on friday. his needs new belly band, blow paddles, knives sharped and set out, so giving the weather we gave him a tractor and blower to monday when we next need the tractor, but he should have the steep ground done by then.

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by him View Post
    yep tall and rotten grass not a problem, neighbour got the lend of our 8400 and double chop-339 last night when his stopped lifting on friday. his needs new belly band, blow paddles, knives sharped and set out, so giving the weather we gave him a tractor and blower to monday when we next need the tractor, but he should have the steep ground done by then.
    8400 not JD I hope

him

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    8400 not JD I hope
    valmet with160 or thereabouts on shaft, eats other 170hp tractor everywhere it goes but suspect that to be because its lighter. hard to beat a bit of power provided the nut on the wheel knows what hes at.

prefer the 6180 on it meself but i bale with the massey.

Exfarmer

I think you are lucky that the gear box has not come apart
    it says a lot for the engineering that it can take, probably double, what it was designed for.
    As I posted in the other column the Kydd certainly did not like the extra horses:cry:

WILLY A

Talking to my Dad last night (now 82). He said that it was a year like this that he started cutting are own silage.
    When ground conditions were good for cutting everyone wanted silage cut at once and he could not get a contractor.
    He cut with DB995 and Tarup Handy.
    I remember cutting with the tarup when I was 14. She had cable controls and you had a sore arm by the time you had finished.

him

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    I think you are lucky that the gear box has not come apart
    it says a lot for the engineering that it can take, probably double, what it was designed for.
    As I posted in the other column the Kydd certainly did not like the extra horses:cry:
    agreed ours didnt like the 6.50 deutz and had to get a gearbox and big pulley