Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    108

    IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Hi all,

    I believe the head gasket on my tractor went over the weekend. Pumping milky oil out of the dipstick and I presume the coolant has leaked into the sump.

    I have done plenty of head gaskets on cars and bikes but never on a diesel and never on a tractor.

    Is there anything in particular I need to know / consider / check /do??

    I don't have a manual for the tractor so I am not even sure what engine it has in it so I can order the gaskets - any tips?

    Thanks

    D

  2. #2
    Senior Member T P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk
    Posts
    669

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    It might well be more serious in that you could have a porous or cracked liner or leaking liner seal or other malady. I would advise warming the engine then removing the sump and pressurising the radiator with a test fixture then you'll see where the water's leaking into the sump. Fix it right _fix it once. If you're lucky it might just be the head gasket but I'd put the odds at fifty percent or less. The only good news is that the parts for a total rebuild are not that expensive compared to others and most IH liners can be changed wit the engine in the tractor.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co Down
    Posts
    426

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    The engine is a D-246,the same as a 784 and the same head gasket set fits the majority,if not all the 74,84,85 and other 4 cylinder IH tractors.
    Make sure you refit the new gasket the right way round too as it will go either way but will block the oil feed hole that supplies the rocker shaft if wrong.......
    Cylinder head bolts torqued to 110 ftlbs. Valve clearances set to 12 thou.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    108

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Thanks guys.

    D

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,182

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Some might correct me but you might fill the coolant chambers in the block after taking the head off to see if you get any weeping through the liners or the bottom o rings. As already said you can can sort the liners with engine in place and not a difficult job I seem to remember. When we had a genuine head gasket problem on an 884 (caused by over heating) we did have the head checked and skimmed. Not a problem thereafter. I have to say when we had milky oil on a 674 it was liners and o rings.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    108

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Is there a tool for removing the liners?

    I could make one but if any one new the dimensions of the bottom of the sleeve?

    D

  7. #7
    Senior Member T P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk
    Posts
    669

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Is there a tool for removing the liners?

    I could make one but if any one new the dimensions of the bottom of the sleeve?

    D
    You can use a piece of mahogany or other hardwood and a hammer to start most wet liners moving, just be careful the hammer doesn't bounce off the crank journal if you miss. I have a fancy custom jig that lets me pull them with a portapower using different sized mandrels for different makes of engine but it isn't really necessary and I did plenty of jobs without it before I got it made. If you know someone with a lathe get them to make you a stepped disc for the bottom with a hole in the centre for a piece of threaded bar,the rest can be fabricated easily. Fine thread is best as it puts up more force but any thread usually does around M20 or M24 would be about the right size. The downside of the fine thread is it galls easy so it's best to use a design that the threaded bar is sacrificial rather than welded in then it can renewed cheaply.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    108

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    You can use a piece of mahogany or other hardwood and a hammer to start most wet liners moving, just be careful the hammer doesn't bounce off the crank journal if you miss. I have a fancy custom jig that lets me pull them with a portapower using different sized mandrels for different makes of engine but it isn't really necessary and I did plenty of jobs without it before I got it made. If you know someone with a lathe get them to make you a stepped disc for the bottom with a hole in the centre for a piece of threaded bar,the rest can be fabricated easily. Fine thread is best as it puts up more force but any thread usually does around M20 or M24 would be about the right size. The downside of the fine thread is it galls easy so it's best to use a design that the threaded bar is sacrificial rather than welded in then it can renewed cheaply.
    Thanks. I would have liked to have made the tool first but dont have the dimensions. Looking at Malpas online it does give some dimensions but I cant say for sure which dimension is which. Looks like the bore is 100mm according to thse dimensions but not sure what the rest are>>

    https://www.malpasonline.co.uk/itm/L...-case-ih/57620

    Thanks

    D

  9. #9
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,545

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Thanks. I would have liked to have made the tool first but dont have the dimensions. Looking at Malpas online it does give some dimensions but I cant say for sure which dimension is which. Looks like the bore is 100mm according to thse dimensions but not sure what the rest are>>

    https://www.malpasonline.co.uk/itm/L...-case-ih/57620

    Thanks

    D
    Main thing is not to make the puller plate too big and damage the block- more of an issue where some types have the sealing orings on the liner and the counterbore in the block is what they will seal against score that and you would have a problem. Your liner shown above is the otherway round with orings in the counterbore. In reality you won't need much of a lip- a couple of mm would be fine, having a decent step of say 3-4mm depth and not too loose a fit in the liner would be ideal.

    Does this model engine require the liner protrusions to be checked/set or is the head gasket pretty adaptable to minor variations?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    108

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Main thing is not to make the puller plate too big and damage the block- more of an issue where some types have the sealing orings on the liner and the counterbore in the block is what they will seal against score that and you would have a problem. Your liner shown above is the otherway round with orings in the counterbore. In reality you won't need much of a lip- a couple of mm would be fine, having a decent step of say 3-4mm depth and not too loose a fit in the liner would be ideal.

    Does this model engine require the liner protrusions to be checked/set or is the head gasket pretty adaptable to minor variations?
    As far as I can tell from the research I have done then there is no requirement for setting of the liner protrusions. I will have to wait until the liner(s) arrive and then make the tool. No point ordering them until I have diagnosed further as it still could just be the headgasket (doubtful though with the amount of water that went into the sump). Might as well replace all four liners and seals while I am at it even if only one is suspect.

    D

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co Down
    Posts
    426

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Even if you do find water passing the liner orings with a pressure test,don't just rush out and order new liners until you have the old ones out. At the age of the tractor,unless plenty of antifreeze has always been maintained,you could find the oring recesses at the bottom could be badly corroded. That's a worst case senario but I have seen it happen.Not sure if a good machine shop could rebuild that recess or not. Just an unfortunate possibilty......

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    108

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    UPDATE: Got the rocker cover off after work tonight and turns out it has popped a core plug!!

    Hopefully this is the only issue so before I do anything else it will be getting a new core plug and some fresh oil and then see where we are.

    Thanks for all your input.

    D

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co Down
    Posts
    426

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    True enough,there's 4 of them in below the cover.........Never even thought about the core plugs. Easy fix,hopefully.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,182

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Sounds like a good outcome!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    108

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    I have been using 10w/40 in the engine of this - is this correct?

    Reading in other places people use any thing from 5w/30 to 30w.

    Always used 10w /40 but now questioning whether this is correct or not.

    D

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    574

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I have been using 10w/40 in the engine of this - is this correct?

    Reading in other places people use any thing from 5w/30 to 30w.

    Always used 10w /40 but now questioning whether this is correct or not.

    D
    Someone correct me if I have this backwards, but from what I understand
    the 5w/ - 10w/ - etc. describes how the oil acts when starting a cold engine (winter) If there is no number (##/) then the second number (i.e. 30w) is how it acts during cold weather starts.

    The second number (i.e. /30, /40) is the weight of the oil at normal operating temperature. The bigger the number the thicker the oil. One piece of equipment I have (recommends 20w50), it is not uncommon for me to add some SAE70 in the most heated part of the summer.

    In our B250 - calls for 30w (machine was manufactured before multi-grade oils were created) - I often run 10w40 (leaks a little slower )

    ALWAYS make sure the oil is formulated for a Diesel (generally in the fine print or the back side of the can) - can someone identify which letter codes he should look for?

    hope this helps

    Correction: who to how - oops

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co Down
    Posts
    426

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Assuming you're in the UK or ROI Dunny, 15w/40 would be the most suitable for your engine.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    108

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Thanks

    D

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,182

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    We have, as agrimax suggests, run 15w/40 in our IH 895 for years, and the same oil goes in the Ford 8340. Most of the modern multi grades will spec backwards if you see what i mean.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    108

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    UPDATE: It was the core plug, now back up and running after a good oil flush and 3 water flushes.

    Only downside is I have discovered a leak on the block - not a crack though, looks like rot from the inside.

    Will see if Araldite will block it up!!.

    Thanks

    D

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    574

    Re: IH Hydro 84 Cylinder Head Gasket

    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    UPDATE: It was the core plug, now back up and running after a good oil flush and 3 water flushes.

    Only downside is I have discovered a leak on the block - not a crack though, looks like rot from the inside.

    Will see if Araldite will block it up!!.

    Thanks

    D
    well, on the bright side, you at least found it before putting a big bunch of money into rebuilding the engine

    still sucks, though

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •