Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Performance This Summer

DM

Solar Performance This Summer

How are all the solar panel installations performing compared to manufacturer/installers predictions during this sunless summer?

Was told the modern panels of today don't require direct sunlight to generate electricity but surely performance is far greater with it rather than just having daylight alone?

Would be interesting to find out how much less is produced than predicted without the sun shining on them.

Exfarmer

Re: Solar Performance This Summer

Anyone telling you they don't need sunshine is 2 things
    A he is selling them
    B he is lieing

Of course the more direct sunshine the better they perform
    And yes they are not coming up to prediction
    But of course prediction is based on average summer in middle England
    So provided they are on a south roof in southern england they will make the average on an average year

balerman

Mine installed last November,still on course for the year,but 15% under target in June.

R Wornham

Panels hear doing the impossible prehaps, producing Electric on cloudy days but yes on good days can be nearly 3 times as much.
    Feb +47%
    March +47%
    April +7.3%
    May +11%
    June +12.73%.
    Prehaps a Happy Old Farmer. Robert

honest john

50 Kw. Reading 22,000 in 4 months.

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by R Wornham View Post
    Panels hear doing the impossible prehaps, producing Electric on cloudy days but yes on good days can be nearly 3 times as much.
    Feb +47%
    March +47%
    April +7.3%
    May +11%
    June +12.73%.
    you will get production on cloudy days but it can be a fraction of a good sunny one
    I have watched my meters and just a cloud passing across the face of the sun may pull production down 50%
    My production missed its target by 4% this year June till June
    even though we had a tremendous last autumn running about 15% over target

yours seem to be doing well

R Wornham

Morning Ex Farmer, It probably isnt that long before all around hear think I should be joining you as an X "Oh i can hear the comments already" That they thought I was 20 years ago. Prehaps I am so far exceeding target because the seller I had didnt lead me astray with his expectations, still a long way to go till 12 months is up though. Regards Robert not far south of you ex just south of Royston

RGT

More wind than sun here anyhow.

Not many days our wind Turbines not turning?

seedman stains

Mine are going to pay their way but its the average per year that is the target.Summer months june, july and august are the most important as the averages for these months are a lot higher and afew dull wet days draw things back a lot.
    Day light will start off the inverters but it is the direct sun which makes them sing.

Aceface

Reached my annual prediction with 5 weeks left to complete the year which has come as a pleasant surprise as it's been so grey most of the summer. Interestingly the 4 kw system mounted on the house exceeded 50% of it's annual prediction in 4 months though I realise these are 4 of the best months to have run through. November through to the end of Feburary will only add 10% ish collectively to the total annual output.

Exfarmer

I understand the predictions are all based on government issued averages and they use the same figures throughout the country corrected for mounting angle
    of course as you go North there are longer Summer days to compensate for the low angle in the winter

I suspect as with all averages there will be winners and losers which will correct them selves over the years
    I would be certain that those areas with the max sunshine hours a year ie Chichester will be the highest yielders over the long term
    We must not forget of course our own Essexpeasant as the sun always shines on him

Aceface

[QUOTE=Exfarmer;954198]I understand the predictions are all based on government issued averages and they use the same figures throughout the country corrected for mounting angle
    of course as you go North there are longer Summer days to compensate for the low angle in the winter

If I remember correctly the calculation is based on your postcode aswell as panel angle and orientation to give a relatively custom made prediction. The sun irradiation levels are recorded at hundreds of met sites all over the country and over many years so it is not difficult to give any known address the historic irradiation levels for that broad area in exactly the same way you look up your local rainfall averages etc. I was also told that despite how murcky this summer has been to date that sun irradiation levels only historically vary very little year on year (plus or minus 5% of the annual mean for your address). Time will tell if this is accurate.

JohnDeere8530

sunlight energy to hit my panels is down 17.2% this year (Jan to today) compared with last year the same time period.

Not as bad as I thought

I live on south coast

Incidentally the government figures dont seem that far out, I was up about 12% on last yr production (1st yr) compared to the suggested government data. However as said I do live in the extreme south coast.

The government data is produced on a contour map, so yes you get and they allow for more sunlight energy hitting/m2 of panel down in the south even compared to 50 miles North of me

Exfarmer

mine are currently working at 3%:cry:
    who says they dont need sun
    cant be surprised low cloud and rain at the moment
    Thankfully we did not get the biblical flood we were forecast
    feel very sorry for those who do

organic

Our 9.6 system produced 984 in March (995 last year)

849 in April (1287 last year)

1301 in May (1221 last year)

And just 844 in June (1283 last year)

So from March to June we're roughly 18% down on last year.

JohnDeere8530

Quote Originally Posted by organic View Post
    Our 9.6 system produced 984 in March (995 last year)

849 in April (1287 last year)

1301 in May (1221 last year)

And just 844 in June (1283 last year)

So from March to June we're roughly 18% down on last year.
    Pretty much exactly agrees with my 17.2%

R Wornham

Feb +47%
    March +47%
    April +7.3%
    May +11%
    June +12.73%.
    July +9.79%
    still a happy old farmer but harvest still two weeks away if a combine turns up

honest john

July +9.79%
    still a happy old farmer but harvest still two weeks away if a combine turns up
    Robert maybe we can use this kit to predict Yeilds and help with marketing. Wheat Rape Barley and Beets harvest sun like the Panels.

R Wornham

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    Robert maybe we can use this kit to predict Yeilds and help with marketing. Wheat Rape Barley and Beets harvest sun like the Panels.
    HJ That is an interesting idea, really we are in a position to provide the information for the technocrates to assimilate. When Rothampsted started there wheatfield trials and recorded the information 100+ years ago who could have thought it was such a good idea. I surpose Government weather records are on to this already just that my panel production is at least 10% over there expectations,so far. Robert

honest john

HJ That is an interesting idea, really we are in a position to provide the information for the technocrates to assimilate. When Rothampsted started there wheatfield trials and recorded the information 100+ years ago who could have thought it was such a good idea. I surpose Government weather records are on to this already just that my panel production is at least 10% over there expectations,so far. Robert
    The Wheat yeild is set in the 6 weeks after the 6th june here. The amount of sun in that time will have a close link to yeild. So Organic's Pv is down 30% over last year, Wheat Yeild down 30% ??

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    The Wheat yeild is set in the 6 weeks after the 6th june here. The amount of sun in that time will have a close link to yeild. So Organic's Pv is down 30% over last year, Wheat Yeild down 30% ??
    surely it must be far more complex than that
    High sun yeilds equal low rainfall = drought stress

Certainly there must be correlations between the two
    and if you can keep the rain at night

organic

Our July figure is 5% down on last year - to date ( Mar to July ) we're 15% down on last year.

TexelBurger

Quote Originally Posted by organic View Post
    Our July figure is 5% down on last year - to date ( Mar to July ) we're 15% down on last year.
    Thats better than i would of thought,everytime i've been to Hay this summer it's been raining ! COYB !

lazy farmer

hi there our new system was comissioned on july 31st phew!
    anyway was looking for some comparisons just to see if ours is working OK. So far after 11 days we have avg 191 units per day on our 50kw system how does that compare? i think its ok,just wondering

chris

organic

Our just under 10KW system has averaged 38 units per day this month to date (Won't be anywhere near average today as it very dull here)

So, pro-rata, 191 units looks about right.

joe soapy

4kw averaging 18 kw, best day 27 so far

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by joe soapy View Post
    4kw averaging 18 kw, best day 27 so far
    3.6kw has done 2421kwh in 166 days

scrambler

My 25kw system has been up for 23 days and produced 2800kw. That's 121 units per day. I would say the weather has been fairly good during that time.

lazy farmer

thanks for the replies it seems we are all fairly close on output at the mo can i now ask is there a link to a site that gives the % for each month of the 12 month total? for example is august comparable to april give the position of the sun?

chris

Aceface

Quote Originally Posted by lazy farmer View Post
    thanks for the replies it seems we are all fairly close on output at the mo can i now ask is there a link to a site that gives the % for each month of the 12 month total? for example is august comparable to april give the position of the sun?

chris

http://www.ecohousesolar.co.uk/wp-co...tput_graph.jpg