Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar Performance This Summer

R Wornham

Re: Solar Performance This Summer

September 1st and another Month gone all too soon Harvest still not started although it is at least now ready, prehaps my two neighbours may get started this weekend. I am correcting the way I present the monthly performance to reflect all three of my systens as an average of all three April June and July would have been all slightly Higher May 0.12% lower.
    April +8.98%
    May +10.88%
    June +13.52%
    July +10.49%
    August +8.02%
    These are the amount in excess of my Installers prediced performance per Month.
    For interest to you all a few issues have come too light this month one system has been without one of its inverters for 14 days so that equates to approx 6.5% of our area. Far more of an issue to arise is the inbalance within another system, the splitting over the three phases of single phase use which we think was causing the system to lock out with a grid fault. The inbalance exceeded the 10 volt difference that was set up in the Inverters. Regards robert

R Wornham

Quote Originally Posted by R Wornham View Post
    September 1st and another Month gone all too soon Harvest still not started although it is at least now ready, prehaps my two neighbours may get started this weekend. I am correcting the way I present the monthly performance to reflect all three of my systens as an average of all three April June and July would have been all slightly Higher May 0.12% lower.
    April +8.98%
    May +10.88%
    June +13.52%
    July +10.49%
    August +8.02%
    These are the amount in excess of my Installers prediced performance per Month.
    For interest to you all a few issues have come too light this month one system has been without one of its inverters for 14 days so that equates to approx 6.5% of our area. Far more of an issue to arise is the inbalance within another system, the splitting over the three phases of single phase use which we think was causing the system to lock out with a grid fault. The inbalance exceeded the 10 volt difference that was set up in the Inverters. Regards robert
    After problems above were sorted out
    September +27.12%

RGSP

Quote Originally Posted by R Wornham View Post
    After problems above were sorted out
    September +27.12%
    How did you detect that one inverter wasn't working? I only have a 3.6kW system, so it only has the one, and it would be pretty obvious if it had failed.

R Wornham

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    How did you detect that one inverter wasn't working? I only have a 3.6kW system, so it only has the one, and it would be pretty obvious if it had failed.
    As you say it was obvious. It was not doing anything just dead when other two on that system were active. We are still keen enough to do a daily record as all three systems are in very accesible positions. Did hear of one person that went some months without even looking at his systems and one haddent been working since about a week after it was installed, taking into account what it had produced compared to his others. Then claimed against inverter manufacture for loss of income. Robert

farfrae

Quote Originally Posted by lazy farmer View Post
    can i now ask is there a link to a site that gives the % for each month of the 12 month total? for example is august comparable to april give the position of the sun?

chris

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/pvest.php

lazy farmer

thanks for the link farfrae v interesting it underestimated our output for aug and sep by 10% so i think i need to play with it a bit to get a more accruate figure though it does appear to be a good guide

for september we did 5,200 units or 173.33 a day or 3.68 units per KW of output per day overall very please and if it continues are pay back will be about 6yrs which is much quicker than antcipated. biggest challenge for us now is to make best use of whats being generated without it costing too much on the duller days!

lazy

joe soapy

You need some UPS units + a switch to charge them up when the sun shines.
    think the switch is about 160, then you need a collection of redundant batteries

penntor

My 3.675Kw system was installed December 2011, just before the cut off. On the quote it was calculated to produce 2931.18 Kw per year. This was reached sometime over the weekend as the generation meter reading yesterday evening was 2975Kw.
    Therefore, considering the rubbish summer we have had, I am very pleased so far with it's performance.

penntor

harrisonion

I'm in west Suffolk. It has been very cloudy this summer, but last winter was very sunny. It's a year today sincey 3.8 system was fitted its generated
    3732 kwh
    Prediction was 2943 kwh.

I'm quite happy with that!

big_phil

anybody got 50kw system done a year yet ?

R Wornham

Today is the 260th day since getting connected.
    October the 19th was worst day so far producing just .25Kw per installed Kw.
    Total on our systems is 130.66Kw
    Expected performance for the year is 86.56% of installed capacity to date we have acheived 85.04% with 106 days to go
    October was 1.68% below expected.
    Oddity We had a power cut on the 16th for most of a day, we have back up generators but with the generators working our solar systems detected that the grid was disconnected and that day our production was only .08kw per Kw installed.

J_B

Quote Originally Posted by DM View Post
    How are all the solar panel installations performing compared to manufacturer/installers predictions during this sunless summer?
    I was speaking to my brother last week. He has 3.5 (?) on his shed, so only a 'domestic' set up.
    He is nearing the 2 year anniversary of the installation and remarked that, over the 2 years, they have done about 10% over prediction.

He also told me that the 'man in the pub' had told him of one set up where the 'leccy meter was going backwards!

y fan wen

Are the panels that make up a solar array all the same output despite different makers?
    Can you calculate the theoretical output of a roof by counting the panels?
    If so, what is the formula?

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by y fan wen View Post
    Are the panels that make up a solar array all the same output despite different makers?
    Can you calculate the theoretical output of a roof by counting the panels?
    If so, what is the formula?
    they vary from 180 -250watts

majority would be 220ish

Exfarmer

If they are 2 years old they would be 180
    1 year 220
    New probably 250
    Each year they seem to e in creasing about 10%
    But this is no hard and fast rule
    Heard the other day there is a warehouse in Norwich, full of older 150 watt panels which someone bought for a large contract then did not get, apparently paid 3-400 pounds for them
    Today worth less than 100
    So if you get offered some cheap panels beware

y fan wen

So, in ballpark figures, to reach the 4kw step in FIT's you would need 16 to 20 panels? I was looking at a housing association estate which has just fitted them on all the houses, eight panels per house. As they are new, could be 250 so 2kw per house?

davidroberts30

Quote Originally Posted by y fan wen View Post
    So, in ballpark figures, to reach the 4kw step in FIT's you would need 16 to 20 panels? I was looking at a housing association estate which has just fitted them on all the houses, eight panels per house. As they are new, could be 250 so 2kw per house?
    i have 18 panels for 3.6kw

Exfarmer

When it is local authority anything goes
    In the real world it is essential to get as close as possible to the steps to make any money on these things
    It can make no sense at all to be fitting 2 kw systems
    The next thing is the angle
    Need to be as close as due south facing as possible