Thread: Matters Agricultural.

Matters Agricultural.

I have spent 84 years on a farm, and yet learn something new every day. This is definitely not something boring or serious like Brexit, but I found it highly amusing.
    As I have said previously, I am still sleeping downstairs with a full view of the garden and the paddock surrounding the farm. Around the garden is a post and rail fence. Yesterday morning there was a pigeon sat upon the post rail, another pigeon flew and landed some eighteen feet away and slowly proceeded to walk along the fence top towards the other pigeon. They met up and started what I realised was a courtship routine, rubbing heads together and gently pecking each other. I thought aye aye they will soon mate! They did quite vigorously, but what amused me was that the one who jumped up on top was not the the one I fully expected! Instead it was the bird who had been sitting there quietly minding his own business until this brazen little hussy came along and seduced him!
    You have got to laugh!
    jack caley

Re: Matters Agricultural.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I have spent 84 years on a farm, and yet learn something new every day. This is definitely not something boring or serious like Brexit, but I found it highly amusing.
    As I have said previously, I am still sleeping downstairs with a full view of the garden and the paddock surrounding the farm. Around the garden is a post and rail fence. Yesterday morning there was a pigeon sat upon the post rail, another pigeon flew and landed some eighteen feet away and slowly proceeded to walk along the fence top towards the other pigeon. They met up and started what I realised was a courtship routine, rubbing heads together and gently pecking each other. I thought aye aye they will soon mate! They did quite vigorously, but what amused me was that the one who jumped up on top was not the the one I fully expected! Instead it was the bird who had been sitting there quietly minding his own business until this brazen little hussy came along and seduced him!
    You have got to laugh!
    jack caley
    Jack - in all your 84 years around the farm you didn't ever run into the "female in heat" with cows or horses or sheep or pigs or cats or dogs or wives or . . .
    Why can't pigeons have the same?

OOPs - noticed a typo - had hear instead of heat
    Last edited by Ironhead; 09-04-18 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Jack - in all your 84 years around the farm you didn't ever run into the "female in hear" with cows or horses or sheep or pigs or cats or dogs or wives or . . .
    Why can't pigeons have the same?
    Funnily enough Iwas talking yesterday to a 90 year old friend who like me remembered the days of the travelling stallion.
    He remembered a mare who squealed out whenever she heard the stallion approaching the farm. I did not remember but apparently mare stayed in heat for twelve weeks. Apparently this horse squealed out for twelve weeks, for the stallions attention. When she foaled, she foaled as a result of the first visit of the stallion. For the record the old Yorkshire expression for the stallion was "entire", the man who went round the farms with the stallion, "travelled the entire". He would sleep with the stallion in the stable.
    jack caley.

Reminds me of a local gentleman (I use the word respectfully) who in his time managed a small stud on behalf of his wifeís family business.
    Bearing in mind this event happened ......should we say in the 1950ís
    Two ladies....sisters...unmarried and of semi mature years were attending the stud with their prized mare for the entire as it is called.
    Both of them being rather innocent of nature had become intrigued as to just what went on that resulted in their mare becoming pregnant.
    Being the 1950ís said manager found himself in something of a quandary.....a most embarrassing quandary.
    Best solution he could come up with was....to suggest that the two ladies walked down to the stables and the man in charge of events would allow them to see the action!
    Predictably they returned in a state of shock!
    Vowing, that never ever would they subject their beloved mare to such an event again.
    How times have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Reminds me of a local gentleman (I use the word respectfully) who in his time managed a small stud on behalf of his wifeís family business.
    Bearing in mind this event happened ......should we say in the 1950ís
    Two ladies....sisters...unmarried and of semi mature years were attending the stud with their prized mare for the entire as it is called.
    Both of them being rather innocent of nature had become intrigued as to just what went on that resulted in their mare becoming pregnant.
    Being the 1950ís said manager found himself in something of a quandary.....a most embarrassing quandary.
    Best solution he could come up with was....to suggest that the two ladies walked down to the stables and the man in charge of events would allow them to see the action!
    Predictably they returned in a state of shock!
    Vowing, that never ever would they subject their beloved mare to such an event again.
    How times have changed!
    Gee,
    That may have been the 1950,s but little has changed.
    It is my view that most of society, especially urban society, is so far distanced from the real world of nature. This has led to all sorts of urban based legislation from the romantic tree huggers.
    Possibly maybe the only exceptions are whip brigade as in the fifty shades of gray!
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Gee,
    That may have been the 1950,s but little has changed.
    It is my view that most of society, especially urban society, is so far distanced from the real world of nature. This has led to all sorts of urban based legislation from the romantic tree huggers.
    Possibly maybe the only exceptions are whip brigade as in the fifty shades of gray!
    jack caley
    Got agree with you on that Jack - on this side of the pond (in both Canada and the US) it seems "country folk" have a better understanding of the "urban" world than vice versa.

Many years ago when I had cows, we had a new neighbours in the village a good church going couple.
    one day she stopped me and said that she had just learned something. She had been watching the cows in the field behind her new house and a cow had approached the bull and had taken the initiative, which she thought was something very surprising having been bought up to believe in the wild it was rape
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

When I was a lot younger my brother-in-law had a trotting stallion and mares were brought to him at the farm. One day I was asked to walk the mare passed the stable window to see if they were ready. Having never done this before when I was asked is the mare "winking" I have to admit I looked at the wrong end.

I forgot another thing, my grandfather had a dairy as on so many farms, one day he noticed his daughter looking out of the window to the field where the heifers were grazing with the bull, who was doing what comes naturally. This was too much, so he had a corrugated iron fence put up to block the view!
    Never thought if his daughter wanted to learn the facts of life they just had to retire to their bedrooms
    that ugly fence was there, for more than 50 years
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    I forgot another thing, my grandfather had a dairy as on so many farms, one day he noticed his daughter looking out of the window to the field where the heifers were grazing with the bull, who was doing what comes naturally. This was too much, so he had a corrugated iron fence put up to block the view!
    Never thought if his daughter wanted to learn the facts of life they just had to retire to their bedrooms
    that ugly fence was there, for more than 50 years
    My wife once organised a wedding reception at our house for the daughter of an old friend. The proceedings were going well in the garden, all the guests present. Just over the fence in the paddock the bull was doing his bit only ten yards from the fence. All seemed very symbolic really, but a lot of the townies present were a bit mystified.
    jack caley

It is so amusing, guys) I mean, the name of the thread and your stories inside.. honestly, I think everyone has similar stories.