Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you spray for blight.

devils advocate

How do you spray for blight.

Need to spray potatoes for blight, how???????

Nice & sunny now but water was running down the rows this afternoon.

Lucky for me, I did not plough the headlands. Thinking of a scarifice row & doing all the rest down hill.

jimbo

Re: How do you spray for blight.

Row crops off ! Big tyre back on here !

hidden

In 2007 a grower by us was spraying with floatation tyres on a tractor and mounted sprayer.... In the end the damage was surprisingly minimal

SKIMMER

Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
    Need to spray potatoes for blight, how???????

Nice & sunny now but water was running down the rows this afternoon.

Lucky for me, I did not plough the headlands. Thinking of a scarifice row & doing all the rest down hill.
    I'd sooner make a mess of the odd row than get blight,could be another real problem this year.

devils advocate

Quote Originally Posted by hidden View Post
    In 2007 a grower by us was spraying with floatation tyres on a tractor and mounted sprayer.... In the end the damage was surprisingly minimal
    With large booms available,it must be tempting for some larger growers to tramline crops with 2 empty beds & spray on terra tyres routine.

hidden

BPC reported this week that blight has been seen in most places of the UK, no surprise really its been more than ideal weather lately!

hidden

With large booms available,it must be tempting for some larger growers to tramline crops with 2 empty beds & spray on terra tyres routine.
    You see alot of that down the Lincs/Cambs fens.....

Chae

Our agronomist said they are applying for dispensation to apply blight spray by helicopter in Angus!

funkyfarmeruk

mounted sprayers on rubber tracked crawlers was quite popular in 2007

kennyo

Got through most of ours yeaterday. Mounted sprayer on 130hp tractor with 520 wide tyres on.

Keep the foot down and don't look back too much. Only ploughed out about 50 yards in 50 acres so not too bad.

We had had 4 days without much rain though (I know that is amazing).

honest john

Get a SP in for this time though.

Fen lad

Met data this morning on website - Holbeach 44.8mm wettest place in East Midlands yesterday.

Spud

I can actually stay in the tram,ime easier with the trailed sprayer than mounted fert spreader on the same tractor. Also easier on smaller jets going slower. 4000l 24m on 7480 with 14.9 wheels. Put diff lock in early, keep twitching the sprayer steering to stay in line. So far only an odd slip. VT box helps greatly. Gps steering on the sprayer only would be a big help I think too.
    Nightmare of a season!

Ramrod

Quote Originally Posted by Fen lad View Post
    Met data this morning on website - Holbeach 44.8mm wettest place in East Midlands yesterday.
    I'm about 5 miles as crow flies from Holbeach, over 24 hrs took 68mm.

marsh_bor

Was never wet enough to stop me with hardi mounted on little fergi even in 07 when they were winching out sp's. Now on 24m trailed with 100hp tractor but water runs straight out the ends each time it rains now so travel is easy, can't believe how the spuds have caught up here no different to any other year now and its hardly been growing weather.

Col

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Our agronomist said they are applying for dispensation to apply blight spray by helicopter in Angus!
    I think I hear that every wet year. If potatoes were only grown on the right land then it would solve a lot of problems. No spraying for us last week as the sprayer went up in flames.

mydexta

A lot of growers with 400+ acres and if 1 has a helicopter then a few of them would try to see who could get the biggest

devils advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    I think I hear that every wet year. If potatoes were only grown on the right land then it would solve a lot of problems. No spraying for us last week as the sprayer went up in flames.
    Sorry to hear that Col. Are you using contractors until you can get a replacement?

Done mine tonight & yesterday the whole area was flooded, 2 inch of rain. Must be the right sort of land lol.

Not left a mark, funny sort of rain.

Chae

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Did you replace that fuse that kept blowing with a nail!?

Chae

Sorry to hear that Col. Are you using contractors until you can get a replacement?

Done mine tonight & yesterday the whole area was flooded, 2 inch of rain. Must be the right sort of land lol.

Must be dry rain.

honest john

When its so wet you can pull well as tyres dont bung up. As it starts to dry you get prob as cleats clag up.
    Still dont plant the blo**y tramlines now.

devils advocate

Must be dry rain.
    Sort of rained so hard it has pushed all the moisture out of the land.

Trams as hard as the MI, I'm gobsmacked.

How can it be that in Feb it can be dry for 3 weeks yet you can still make ruts wheras July it can rain all week then 2 inch in a day & 24 hours later it is dry??????

banger

where are you ramrod

Ramrod

Lutton Marsh. Took another 11mm this morning.

funkyfarmeruk

unmeasurable amount today the other side of spalding (pinchbeck) and only 17mm on friday. Surprising what a few miles can do

Niels

If all this rain results in less yield and higher prices I wouldn't mind as much! However I somehow doubt it will. It's all wide tyres (540/650 etc) here anyway so can nearly always get around. It is nice when there is some water in the tramlines that flush the tyres clean. Goes surprisingly well compared to when it is a sticky muddy mess.

jfdi

Been blight spraying today, some with dead beds and some without, no comparison

frescherfrosch

Just down in Shropshire they are allegedly putting 250 hp tractors in front of an Agrifac and a Rogator 600 just to get down the field. Dread to think of the soil carnage there

devils advocate

Quote Originally Posted by frescherfrosch View Post
    Just down in Shropshire they are allegedly putting 250 hp tractors in front of an Agrifac and a Rogator 600 just to get down the field. Dread to think of the soil carnage there
    Strike me down pick

Would a fleet of tractors with mounted sprayers be a better bet?

The Pretender

Err, I have witnessed at close quarters what a decent pilot can do with a sprayer on a plane. Aside from there probably being no sprayer planes or helicopters here anymore, is there any reason why it could not be put on with a plane?