Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 105 of 105

Thread: How do you spray for blight.

  1. #91
    marsh_bor
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Several doing them this way for a fiver ex, but full of cracks and rots, new customer turned up in yard yesterday looking for spuds, so they are short, we will pay you a fiver, next breath Lincs delivery was 6.50 and full of blight
    Not sure what to do but better than them rotting, are there plenty of good samples of piper around should I sit on them? Told the 160/t one to f off.

  2. #92
    honest john
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Quote Originally Posted by marsh_bor View Post
    Several doing them this way for a fiver ex, but full of cracks and rots, new customer turned up in yard yesterday looking for spuds, so they are short, we will pay you a fiver, next breath Lincs delivery was 6.50 and full of blight
    Not sure what to do but better than them rotting, are there plenty of good samples of piper around should I sit on them? Told the 160/t one to f off.
    Good potatoes will be as short as good Wheat. IMO
    There are some good crops but not enough.

  3. #93
    honest john
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedders View Post
    we're on 240 for a decent sample of Piper ...up 20 on the week as we needed to slow sales as the later planted stuff is still not there ...much better sample off some lighter ground ...seems like the heavier ground stuff is really suffering this year
    still spraying twice a week too ...but at least we're clearing some ground so less to spray each time ....
    Some with known brand name are 280. Piper.

  4. #94
    Pedders
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    Some with known brand name are 280. Piper.
    Prices firmed a bit this morning ..hearing shropshire are +10.00
    Piper fetching 220-240 but running short of stuff thats ready and the later planted is a long way off at the moment

    unusual to see prices rising in August ,,unless just a short lived weather market
    maybe yields are just not there ....

  5. #95
    honest john
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Had our weekly dig today but been spraying befor the rain so not looked yet.
    They have a long way to go and not to much time.
    Still blight about in most/all crops.
    Been spraying wheat/peas and am now behind again on spuds.
    Hard year lot of spraying on poor crops.
    I think spuds will be very short for the good keeping crops.

  6. #96
    devils advocate
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Off harvesting for the farm shop at 7am, then straight back in with curzate & shirlan tank mix, agronmist really giving the blight some welley this year. Can still find the odd leaf with blight though.

    Can't win though some virus in our own saved seed & blackleg in the new dutch seed. So all new very expensive seed to buy next year.

  7. #97
    marsh_bor
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Quote Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
    Off harvesting for the farm shop at 7am, then straight back in with curzate & shirlan tank mix, agronmist really giving the blight some welley this year. Can still find the odd leaf with blight though.

    Can't win though some virus in our own saved seed & blackleg in the new dutch seed. So all new very expensive seed to buy next year.
    Not going to hurt you tho at 9/bag is it? Why bother with hss if you are getting a good return false economy for sure.

  8. #98
    devils advocate
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Quote Originally Posted by marsh_bor View Post
    Not going to hurt you tho at 9/bag is it? Why bother with hss if you are getting a good return false economy for sure.
    But the home saved normally crops better, is doing this year. Just the new seed has blackleg so no use to save sets from. We are 700 to 800 ft high not many local taties about (used to be lots 20 years ago).

  9. #99
    marsh_bor
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Interesting, I myself would never set anything other than Scotch always think it pays for the job,plus I can fazer.

  10. #100
    Pedders
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    if you don't want to home save your own seed you could use English seed ... but grown as a proper seed crop for some of your area ...that would give you earlier bulking than scotch allowing an earlier start to lifting before moving onto the scotch stuff later ..its what we have done this year and has worked well for us ...

  11. #101
    devils advocate
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedders View Post
    if you don't want to home save your own seed you could use English seed ... but grown as a proper seed crop for some of your area ...that would give you earlier bulking than scotch allowing an earlier start to lifting before moving onto the scotch stuff later ..its what we have done this year and has worked well for us ...
    Good idea.

    Problem for me is I'm on very marginal soils & the only variety that does really well is Kondor. Only really grown as seed in Holland & mostly for export to Pakistan.

  12. #102
    marsh_bor
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Dont you mean out of the breeds you have trialled, bound to be others that suit just as well or better. Why do english bulk earlier, lower tuber count??

  13. #103
    devils advocate
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Quote Originally Posted by marsh_bor View Post
    Dont you mean out of the breeds you have trialled, bound to be others that suit just as well or better. Why do english bulk earlier, lower tuber count??
    Perhaps but we have trialed a lot. The fact we do not irrigate narrows down the choice of variety & that we have a very low level of eelworm (1 year in 15 rotation) therefore do not use nemacides so some genetic resistance is useful. Also eat well very popular with local housewives. We buy in pretty washed ones to sell too, so many customers ask for "A bag/stone of those ugly home grown red potatoes, they do taste nice love.

    Once grown seed according to our Agronomist is acclimatised to the farn it is growing on. Certainly performs best 3 years out of 4. Do test for virus usually. Twice grown seed does not work tends to suffer from poudery scab.

  14. #104
    honest john
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    I have had two scotch men around this week. They know there is not going to be any crop that is much good up there.
    Holland has had similar weather.
    Belgium has also been badly wet.
    All of a sudden we are every ones best friend !!

    Crops like all other crops are poorly rooted, with lower rooting levels rotting off.
    The last week they are starting to go down hill quite fast. Worce on any areas that were water logged.
    I think the crop will closely match 1976. In the region of 4.75 million ton.
    1976 4.4 million.
    The market is short for now. As too wet to harvest in the west and spuds are being imported.

    Blight is bad in the wet parts of the country. Its still ticking over here in the east.

    Interesting year.
    John.

  15. #105
    marsh_bor
    Guest

    Re: How do you spray for blight.

    Hmmm maybe I should totes not fazor then. Are bags going up? Piper not bulking well should have stuck at 7.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •