Thread: Massey 135 TPL arrangement

Julian_P

Massey 135 TPL arrangement

Having finished the restoration on my 135 (and getting back the original reg plate thanks to the Ferguson Club) I have just a few odds and sods to sort out.

The linkage has been assembled with some bolts, they are far too small for the lift arm holes. but suit the check chain lug. I'm sure this is not correct? Is there a 135 expert here who can tell me how this should be properly assembled?

Cheers Julian.

Exfarmer

Re: Massey 135 TPL arrangement

not an expert but obviously you have a mismatch of parts
    I would guess either the chains come from a smaller tractor possibly fergie 20?
    or the lower link arm and lift rod are off a bigger tractor possible 165?

Julian_P

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    not an expert but obviously you have a mismatch of parts
    I would guess either the chains come from a smaller tractor possibly fergie 20?
    or the lower link arm and lift rod are off a bigger tractor possible 165?
    Never thought of that, you could well be right! I'll see if anyone else has any ideas, what I would really like is one that is in 'from the factory' condition to compare it with.

Julian.

Tha Ulsterscot

Seem to remember that there was a sleeve (tube) which went through the lift arm and lower link first and then the bolt went through the lot. When the sleeve wore you just replaced it, to tighten the joint again.

multi power

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ulsterscot View Post
    Seem to remember that there was a sleeve (tube) which went through the lift arm and lower link first and then the bolt went through the lot. When the sleeve wore you just replaced it, to tighten the joint again.
    +1

agrimax

Just looked at the AGCO parts list and Tha Ulsterscot is correct.There should be a bush going through the fork and lower arm and the bolt through it.

multi power

arms lift rods etc all correct but while check chains are correct i think they are wrong colour, not that it will matter

Julian_P

Thanks chaps, just ordered 2 eye bolt assemblies (includes bushings) from Agriline. It won't harm to change the bolts as they are sure to be worn into mini-crankshafts as it's done over 10,000 hrs!

MP, what colour should the chains be? I just painted them with Agriline 2 pack grey with everything else as I was too lazy to remove them

Julian.

multi power

i think check chains should be zinc plated, realy a question for somebody more knoledgable than me

mfandy will know for sure

Pennine Ploughing

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_P View Post
    Having finished the restoration on my 135 (and getting back the original reg plate thanks to the Ferguson Club) I have just a few odds and sods to sort out.

The linkage has been assembled with some bolts, they are far too small for the lift arm holes. but suit the check chain lug. I'm sure this is not correct? Is there a 135 expert here who can tell me how this should be properly assembled?

Cheers Julian.
    the chain should be anodised to look right,
    as for the pin being a slack fit, it look like the arms are heavy duty with3/4 holes and the drop arm will 5/8 hole, dont think the pin and bush you have ordered will do, you will have the make a bush to fit in the arm only to take the 5/8 pin, the bush you get will be only 5/8 i think

Exfarmer

I thought those holes looked big which is why I thought they were from a bigger tractor

btd-6

If your lower links arms, and drop arm yokes are original and have the larger 3/4" hole size, you will need the 5/8" to 3/4" spacer kit as shown here http://v2.gb.sparex.com/ItemDetails/.../1083_pic1.jpg

However if you have replaced the drop/lower links arms for a spurious replacement part, they may have the wrong size holes and may need drilling out to suit, or maybe you could cut the spacer down to fit the lower link arm only.

Julian_P

OK, thanks again everyone, at least I now know what has to be done to sort it out. I'll see what arrives from Agriline and take it from there, I have a lathe so can easily turn a bit of tube stock to suit if needed.

The arms and drop links are original I think because they are pretty jingle jointed at the ends and I've known the tractor (even though it's only been mine for about 6 years) for at least 20.

It once had a MIL trip loader and dreadful white painted roll bar fitted, it's done 10,050 hrs, never had any engine work (to my knowledge) and starts in 1 second even on a cold winter morning! The AD152 engine really is/was the dog's bollocks!

Julian.

Tha Ulsterscot

In my book the 135 was the best tractor Massey made. None of the other models , even though they were twice the power, could do twice the work.!
    The 135 had a heart like a lion.

multi power

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ulsterscot View Post
    In my book the 135 was the best tractor Massey made. None of the other models , even though they were twice the power, could do twice the work.!
    The 135 had a heart like a lion.
    it will be a long time before anybody else makes anything near as good