Thread: Agriculture collages ?

Agriculture collages ?

I'm about to go into my last year of school and want to get into agriculture when I leave , now I'm really thinking about which collage is the best to go to? Myerscough about a hour from me but I've heard good things about Newton rigg , askham bryan & bishop Burton , living away from home shouldn't be an issue , I'm just really interested in your thaught on these , all the people at my young farmers have been Myerscough or Newtown rigg , but I'm just not sure

Collages ?

Next year will be my last year at school and I'm looking for a good Agriculture college , Myerscough is local to me but I have heard good things about Newton rigg, askham bryan and bishop Burton , would love to hear your thoughts , living away isn't a problem .... I'm just worried about making the wrong choice & my parents are worried to , your opinions would be greatly appreciated

Re: Agriculture collages ?

Do the colleges have an open day as you could go along to have a good look around and speak to the lecturers?
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

I believe there could be some issues living on campus under the age of 18. You probably need to work out what your goal for employment might be and make sure you have the right qualifications and training. I realise that is stating the bleedin obvious but quite a lot of young folk seem to end up with qualifications that do not always gain employment. Have you worked on farms at all? I was wondering if you might get some work experience somewhere close to home. It can be a problem sometimes if you are not driving age. Good luck!

First you have to decide what course you wish to do and then see which colleges offer that course. Do not under estimate your living expenses, they add up very quickly and what seems like a generous allowance can in fact be barely adequate.

Go to college open days and look at what is on offer. Many colleges have diversified into other subjects and agriculture is now only a small part of the range, sometimes to its detriment.

Do not be swayed by the local night life, you get that at every institution. My neice chose her university purely because it had a water polo team, not advisable!

Being further away from home is not always best, you may be missing out if your local college is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    First you have to decide what course you wish to do and then see which colleges offer that course. Do not under estimate your living expenses, they add up very quickly and what seems like a generous allowance can in fact be barely adequate.

Go to college open days and look at what is on offer. Many colleges have diversified into other subjects and agriculture is now only a small part of the range, sometimes to its detriment.

Do not be swayed by the local night life, you get that at every institution. My neice chose her university purely because it had a water polo team, not advisable!

Being further away from home is not always best, you may be missing out if your local college is a good one.
    I was 200 miles from Shuttleworth, but I think it is probably best to join in college activities. My sons went to Bishop, but they were always at home, not good.
    jack caley

I would very strongly recommend you get at least a year on a farm before agricultural college, and please do learn to spell college before you apply . Never rely on spell checkers
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    I would very strongly recommend you get at least a year on a farm before agricultural college, and please do learn to spell college before you apply . Never rely on spell checkers
    Dear ex-farmer,
    I remember presenting a collage of flowers to my partner at the annual ball at Shuttleworth College,
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Dear ex-farmer,
    I remember presenting a collage of flowers to my partner at the annual ball at Shuttleworth College,
    jack caley
    Age is catching you up Jack, that was a collection off wild flowers for the weed identification project

Age is catching you up Jack, that was a collection off wild flowers for the weed identification project
    No, that was a collection of wild flowers for the weed identification project.

Did you ever attend one of those annual balls in the library, or were you one of the later ones?
    regards,
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    No, that was a collection of wild flowers for the weed identification project.
    Sharp, oh so sharp!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Did you ever attend one of those annual balls in the library, or were you one of the later ones?
    regards,
    jack caley
    We certainly did not have a ball in the library, think it had been superseded by the hog roast with Adge Cutler and the Wurzels.
    I was delegated the task of keeping them supplied with liquid refreshment, This was a constant task all night, I shudder to think how many pints I delivered and then at the end of the evening helped them pack their kit back into their car and vans for them to drive home. they returned home to Somerset that night with probably 10 - 15 pints under their belts.
    I was not surprised to hear that Adge was killed driving home from such a gig a few years later.
    Great shame as we had a fantastic night