Thread: international 584 losing oil

international 584 losing oil

have posted
    this in the classic section but have not had anyone helping me with this little problem

hi i have an international 584 that was putting oil out the exhaust, started perfect with no back pressure/engine breathing. it was going through a lot of oil, if the engine was left idleing for a minute and the throttle opened there was a lot of blue smoke from exhaust, i have been told by a few people that it is most likely valve stem oil seals and worn valve guides causing this so have taken the head off to get refurbished, the injectors did not look good either so they will get done too, should i get the piston and liners changed too as i have already got the head off, there is a small lip on the inside of each liner but they dont look too bad, could a bad piston or ring have been causing the smoke,how easy are these liners to do, will i need a press to refit them

Re: international 584 losing oil

If there is a noticable lip on the liners,then it would be worth replacing them and the pistons. If the tractor doesn't get much hard work and is ticking over a lot the bores will become glazed. A combination of glazed bores and worn rings etc will let oil up the exhaust. These liners usually can be removed by hammering a piece of good hardwood against them but a liner dolly is much more preferable.Piece of threaded bar through the dolly and wind them up out against the block. Or even easier ,with the use of a hollow hyd ram. Replacing them is easy too. They will tap in with a piece of wood set on top. Just make sure the o ring grooves are spotless on the block.Some say to lube the orings with soap,or oil but personally,I smear them with a film of siligasket and push the liners in.

I hesitated to comment but on seeing Agrimax's answer I would 100% agree. You have come this far. It is not difficult to do pistons an liners in situ. Brother and I did an 84 Hydro years ago and it was our first attempt.

I've replied in the classic section

ok cheers guys will get the sump off and see how it goes, water was full of sludge when i drained it so good chance liners are corroded anyway