Thread: Diesel Quads

Diesel Quads

Has anyone got experience with the Artic Cat diesel engined quads. What are they like to use, service and maintain, reliability etc. I know that they aren't made anymore so it would be 2nd hand and condition then factors in. There seems to be a lot of fuel saving to be made by comparison to a petrol bike but do you pay for this somewhere else as every other manufacturer makes petrol ones.

Re: Diesel Quads

What about the latest electric models? I have experience of neither but always wondered. Certainly a fiver doesn't go far in a petrol lawnmower!

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    What about the latest electric models? I have experience of neither but always wondered. Certainly a fiver doesn't go far in a petrol lawnmower!
    spotting your username reminded me of the old late boss once suggesting his V8 RangeRover was using less petrol than my fully loaded works truck - a 3.5t Twin wheel transit Hi-Top with its 2.0L OHC pinto/cortina engine

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    I would expect with the charge and range of a battery powered bike I wouldn't get home some nights........mind you the wife thinks some nights I'd be better off staying out as coming home. The machine would be required to work 16-18 hour days sometimes in peak season in a contracting weed control capacity doing spot and boom spraying as well as weedwiping.

The battery model would be no use to you at all, I always thought it would be a good job for sneaking up on foxes at night or even rabbiting.

I used to have a V8 Discovery, it was great at the lights, nobody expected a farmers land rover to be across the road when most were finding first gear! It did 14-15 mpg , didn't make a pick of difference if it was hauling a trailer or not. The V8 is a great engine, I wonder if the figures are to be believed on some of the new models, around 30 mpg for the 4.7 liter MB, that is not to far off my 3.2 diesel straight 6 Merc , I don't think I will chance it, 150k miles and going like a clock what is there not to like.

Slightly generic answer I know, but I think it would be all about what engine is in them and whether or not it matched your requirements. A heavy slow plodder might not be that nice but it should be reliable, but if they're quite light and revvy then I'd imagine reliability could be a concern.

Small diesel engines seem to be a bit of a struggle for many manufacturers, probably due to the fact that most small engine applications are usually quite weight sensitive (or maybe more specifically power/weight), so the temptation to save weight combined with the need for power is a pretty difficult mix frequently resulting in unreliability.

The ATV is a bit different as it can carry a bit more weight than a quad, it also has a bit more room for a beefier transmission more suited to diesel engine characteristics, but even so you still have someone like Kubota going to the trouble of producing petrol ATV's for sectors of the market where lightness, cost, performance, and reliability, outweigh the difference in cost of fuel.

For someone like yourself I'm sure the potential cost savings in fuel gets your attention, but I think it's something you'd need to check out pretty carefully (as I'm sure you would!). I've no direct experience of diesel quads, but I've done a bit of work at quads generally over the years, and done a fair bit with small diesel engined plant and machinery of different types, and I just can't see them mixing well.

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    Slightly generic answer I know, but I think it would be all about what engine is in them and whether or not it matched your requirements. A heavy slow plodder might not be that nice but it should be reliable, but if they're quite light and revvy then I'd imagine reliability could be a concern.

Small diesel engines seem to be a bit of a struggle for many manufacturers, probably due to the fact that most small engine applications are usually quite weight sensitive (or maybe more specifically power/weight), so the temptation to save weight combined with the need for power is a pretty difficult mix frequently resulting in unreliability.

The ATV is a bit different as it can carry a bit more weight than a quad, it also has a bit more room for a beefier transmission more suited to diesel engine characteristics, but even so you still have someone like Kubota going to the trouble of producing petrol ATV's for sectors of the market where lightness, cost, performance, and reliability, outweigh the difference in cost of fuel.

For someone like yourself I'm sure the potential cost savings in fuel gets your attention, but I think it's something you'd need to check out pretty carefully (as I'm sure you would!). I've no direct experience of diesel quads, but I've done a bit of work at quads generally over the years, and done a fair bit with small diesel engined plant and machinery of different types, and I just can't see them mixing well.
    I was out weedwiping yesterday and today and noticed on several occasions that I needed a sudden burst of power to push on over a softish place before the top would break and then I'd be stuck.......don't think that a diesel engine would be responsive enough for that but there's other situations that would be perfectly fine. 🤔🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    don't think that a diesel engine would be responsive enough for that
    Which is why they do best with a turbo and/or some sort of hydrostatic/CV type transmission, neither that practical on a quad!