Thread: Hydro 84 - Power Steering

Hydro 84 - Power Steering

Next problem on my Hydro 84 is the power steering is playing up. I thought it was low Hytran fluid but this is fine; all other services seem to work.

There don't appear to be any leaks on the rams.

There does seem to be a new noise associated with the hydraulic pipes that come over the top of the engine and down towards the front wheels though.

Any recommendations on where I should look first?

Does it have a separate hydraulic steering pump?

D

Thanks

D
    Last edited by Dunny; 22-04-18 at 08:53 PM.

Re: Hydro 84 - Power Steering

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Next problem on my Hydro 84 is the power steering is playing up. I thought it was low Hytran fluid but this is fine; all other services seem to work.

There don't appear to be any leaks on the rams.

There does seem to be a new noise associated with the hydraulic pipes that come over the top of the engine and down towards the front wheels though.

Any recommendations on where I should look first?

Does it have a separate hydraulic steering pump?

D

Thanks

D
    You need Gapples again
    It sounds as though you are getting some air into the system somewhere, I think there might also be a steering priority valve that could be at fault. Does the lift work correctly and the spool/s?

If your spools are putting up pressure, try pulling a spool and turning the steering wheel at same time. A former Case IH mechanic told me to do this on my 85 series once when steering wouldn't work. Don't know if will help you but worth a try.

If everything else is working ok & the power steering is tight the fault is more than likely dirt in the flow divider.
    You can find this in the bottom of the MCV ( multi control valve )
    This is the block with the hydraulic filter on it.
    Look underneath the filter on the bottom of this block, there are 2 large plugs, the bigger one & more central one is the flow divider.
    Put a bucket under it & take out the plug, there is a strong spring, above the spring is the f divider valve, it will pull out but could be tight. I used to use external circlip pliers.
    Clean out the small hole in the centre, if necessary polish the valve ( do not scratch it )
    Pop it back in coated in clean oil & test.

If it's still not right re post.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapples View Post
    If everything else is working ok & the power steering is tight the fault is more than likely dirt in the flow divider.
    You can find this in the bottom of the MCV ( multi control valve )
    This is the block with the hydraulic filter on it.
    Look underneath the filter on the bottom of this block, there are 2 large plugs, the bigger one & more central one is the flow divider.
    Put a bucket under it & take out the plug, there is a strong spring, above the spring is the f divider valve, it will pull out but could be tight. I used to use external circlip pliers.
    Clean out the small hole in the centre, if necessary polish the valve ( do not scratch it )
    Pop it back in coated in clean oil & test.

If it's still not right re post.
    Thanks Gappies. It will probably be the weekend now before I can look.

Two other things I thought might be worthy of mention. First is that this issue seemed to coincide with me taking the Quicke loader off and secondly the steering works if you move it slowly but you can feel a judder in it; if you go on full lock something squeals quite a lot. I thought there was maybe a separate steering pump that was failing.

D

Dunny
    It's the same pump does the steering as the hydraulics.
    The flow goes from the pump to the flow divider, the first 2.5 gallons per minute go to the power steering through that central orifice ( unless it get a bit of dirt in it )
    The rest goes to the other hydraulic services.

Dunny
    It's the same pump does the steering as the hydraulics.
    The flow goes from the pump to the flow divider, the first 2.5 gallons per minute go to the power steering through that central orifice ( unless it get a bit of dirt in it )
    The rest goes to the other hydraulic services.
    Thanks Gappies, this will be the first thing I try - assuming I can find it!! :-)

D

You won't get better advice than that!

I canít seem to find the MCV and filter. Is it underneath at the back of the tractor?? Sorry for the daft question!!

Hi
    The MCV ( multi control valve ) Is on the transmission on the left hand side.
    Get down under the cab steps ( LHS ) look up in behind the LHS back wheel, you should see a large rectangular block with many pipes coming out of it & the hydraulic filter bowl mounted on it.

Hi
    The MCV ( multi control valve ) Is on the transmission on the left hand side.
    Get down under the cab steps ( LHS ) look up in behind the LHS back wheel, you should see a large rectangular block with many pipes coming out of it & the hydraulic filter bowl mounted on it.
    Thanks Gapples. I thought that was it but couldn't be sure.

Regards

D