Thread: Could anybody help with a Haybob please ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Could anybody help with a Haybob please ?

I have run many Haybobs over the years but have just rescued an older one from the nettles ! I have a problem insofar as one of the depth wheel stalks is seized. I have extracted the handle at the top and also the insert. Some Neanderthal has even smacked it with a sledge to try and move it.

My question is how do I dismantle the whole thing ? Is it just a case of undoing the large nut on top of the crownwheel housing and everything, including the rotor, drops out, or do I undo the studs that are underneath the rotor ? Or both ? I do have a spares book and can see what's inside but just not sure how to proceed. Thanks for any help given.

wheel.jpg

Re: Could anybody help with a Haybob please ?

It is supposed to just drop out when the pin at the top is removed. A tap with a sledgehammer will have swollen the end so that it will not fit down the hole anymore.

Penetrating oil.......never hit it on the end........big Stilson or pipe grips below the housing and twist. + time.
    Suppose you could take the wheel off and weld attach a long bar below the housing to apply even more force.
    No knowledge of the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Penetrating oil.......never hit it on the end........big Stilson or pipe grips below the housing and twist. + time.
    Suppose you could take the wheel off and weld attach a long bar below the housing to apply even more force.
    No knowledge of the internals.
    Thank you. Yes, going to de-tine it today because most of the PZ99 & PZ100 springs are shot and then turn it upside down and then WD40 underneath for a few days.

I have a large set of Stilsons that I can use (with a length of pipe if necessary ) but I hadn't thought about welding a length of something on to the stalk. I'll see how it goes and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    It is supposed to just drop out when the pin at the top is removed. A tap with a sledgehammer will have swollen the end so that it will not fit down the hole anymore.
    Thanks for that. I have been advised not to allow the whole lot to drop out. That upsets the timing, backlash etc. of the crownwheel and pinion. I have ground the top of the stalk so the swollen part has now gone and I have loosened the big nut but I don't really want to take the whole lot apart, all I want to do is to free the stalk so that I can adjust the height of the wheel.

I have been copiously dowsing the area between the stalk and it's sleeve with WD40 and I have been advised to turn the thing upside down and do it from the underneath as well.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Thanks for that. I have been advised not to allow the whole lot to drop out. That upsets the timing, backlash etc. of the crownwheel and pinion. I have ground the top of the stalk so the swollen part has now gone and I have loosened the big nut but I don't really want to take the whole lot apart, all I want to do is to free the stalk so that I can adjust the height of the wheel.

I have been copiously dowsing the area between the stalk and it's sleeve with WD40 and I have been advised to turn the thing upside down and do it from the underneath as well.
    I find Balistol (made in Germany) much better than WD40; less volotile & a better lubricant. I've heard that the best penetrant is a mix of ATF and acetone; no experience of tho'.

I'm guessing that the real problem will be accumulated rust jamming the two parts and if so rotating back & forth might be the best way to loosen it, break up the rust particles and perhaps let the stalk drop out - but I reckon you'll need a long handle on the stillson. What about slipping a piece of pipe over the stub axle and using that as a lever?

Some heat on the stalk probably wouldn't hurt.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Thanks John. Well, I turned it upside down after de-tining it. No two bolts the same on the tines so that was a gas axe job I did just put a big pair of Stilson on the stalk and a length of 2" water pipe on the end of those and I thought that I'd shifted it but it was the sleeve as well as the stalk that moved. So now I have to anchor the sleeve and I think I know how to do that because there is a boss on the bottom of it which I can utilise. Trouble is, there's quite a large bearing in close proximity to the boss so I will not have to get carried away. You can probbaly guess what the plan is.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Thanks John. Well, I turned it upside down after de-tining it. No two bolts the same on the tines so that was a gas axe job I did just put a big pair of Stilson on the stalk and a length of 2" water pipe on the end of those and I thought that I'd shifted it but it was the sleeve as well as the stalk that moved. So now I have to anchor the sleeve and I think I know how to do that because there is a boss on the bottom of it which I can utilise. Trouble is, there's quite a large bearing in close proximity to the boss so I will not have to get carried away. You can probbaly guess what the plan is.
    Sorry, my brain is on slow speed today; no idea what your plan is .

Looked at my machine today, and there is certainly a risk of the tines clashing if the timing is incorrect, but I think there must be a fair bit of latitude. Similarly, although I haven't seen inside the gearbox, I'd have thought getting backlash correct would not be a huge problem.

Considering those points, I'd be inclined to undo the big nut & drop the lot. Then maybe you could get some heat on the tube, coz I reckon you'll need it

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper