Thread: Grass Seeding

Grass Seeding

Hello,

I have got some land which was previously used as a bit of a dumping ground and scrap yard. I want to transfer this into grazing land so was thinking of the best way to break up the top soil and sow the grass seeds. I am thinking a small plough may be the best start because I do not know what is buried (glass, metal) etc. and hitting that with a tiller would damage the tiller and potentially the PTO.

Any suggestions on best way forward or am I on the right lines with Plough, roller, seed etc.

Thanks,

Kevin

Re: Grass Seeding

Quote Originally Posted by Kevee View Post
    Hello,

I have got some land which was previously used as a bit of a dumping ground and scrap yard. I want to transfer this into grazing land so was thinking of the best way to break up the top soil and sow the grass seeds. I am thinking a small plough may be the best start because I do not know what is buried (glass, metal) etc. and hitting that with a tiller would damage the tiller and potentially the PTO.

Any suggestions on best way forward or am I on the right lines with Plough, roller, seed etc.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Kevin - how large is the piece of land and just what was "dumped" there (thinking of soil contaminates)? size of piece of land may make a difference as well as what you have available for equipment.

To find "pieces of metal", perhaps there is a "treasure hunter" in your area who would / could scan the area for any metals for a percentage of the scrap metal and any "treasures"? That would reduce one of your concerns.

Ploughing might not be wise if you could turn up a lot of buried rubbish.

You can direct drill grass reasonably successfully, a local contractor might have a suitable machine - a small plot might be an issue.
    Ideally the old grass wants killing off with glyphosate beforehand, depends on what sort of grass.
    There will likely be other problems could cause poor establishment of new seeds, slugs, leatherjacket grubs and more.

More subtle management like timely mowing/grazing/lime/fertilizer - and weed control - will probably give similar results after 2 or 3 years.
    These would be needed anyway to keep sown grass happy, or after a couple of years it will revert to how it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Kevin - how large is the piece of land and just what was "dumped" there (thinking of soil contaminates)? size of piece of land may make a difference as well as what you have available for equipment.

To find "pieces of metal", perhaps there is a "treasure hunter" in your area who would / could scan the area for any metals for a percentage of the scrap metal and any "treasures"? That would reduce one of your concerns.
    I think the land is about 0.5 acre and is next to land I already own so access is okay for a tractor.

What was dumped there was car body shells, pieces of machinery that have rusted and disintegrated and broken glass from windscreens jam jars etc.

I do not think the metal is really worth hunting for because it is stuff that has gone rusty or been set fire to for a bonfire and then left etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Ploughing might not be wise if you could turn up a lot of buried rubbish.

You can direct drill grass reasonably successfully, a local contractor might have a suitable machine - a small plot might be an issue.
    Ideally the old grass wants killing off with glyphosate beforehand, depends on what sort of grass.
    There will likely be other problems could cause poor establishment of new seeds, slugs, leatherjacket grubs and more.

More subtle management like timely mowing/grazing/lime/fertilizer - and weed control - will probably give similar results after 2 or 3 years.
    These would be needed anyway to keep sown grass happy, or after a couple of years it will revert to how it was.
    I am hoping that there is not too much buried and it is just surface deep. It is not like the previous owner has physically dug holes and buried stuff more like stuff was left, trodden into ground etc.

There is no glass currently because it is just hard soil because there were trees around which I have now chopped down.

Is there anything I can do about slugs, leatherjacket grubs etc?

I am planning on routine mowing, rotating the grazing etc. once the grass is established I was just wondering how to get started based on the history of the land and concerns about damaging equipment.

Thanks,

Kevin

If all your problems are near the surface, I'd be inclined to plough it at full depth and then never go near it with a plough again. Soil engaging equipment is very robust and/or generally has safety devices built in so, unless your likely to find an old engine or something, I wouldn't be too worried about damage.

I'd be more worried about getting glass and sharp bits of metal in bales or cows feet if you don't bury it properly

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    If all your problems are near the surface, I'd be inclined to plough it at full depth and then never go near it with a plough again. Soil engaging equipment is very robust and/or generally has safety devices built in so, unless your likely to find an old engine or something, I wouldn't be too worried about damage.

I'd be more worried about getting glass and sharp bits of metal in bales or cows feet if you don't bury it properly
    Yeah I am worried about that, injury to livestock. I think the grass aspect will be quite resilient if soil turned over, fertilized etc.