Thread: oil pressure guage pipe heating up on sterting

oil pressure guage pipe heating up on sterting

Hi All

I am new to this forum and new to tinkering having had a mate that did it for me.

I have a MF35 petrol which I tend to neglect during the winter, and this year had to buy a new battery, on fitting it, the tractor engine turned over and started. Stopped for coffee and when I started the tractor again, the ignition warning light was bright, but on cranking it dims, the engine is sluggish to turn and the odd thing is while trying to crank the oil pressure gauge capillary pipe which is coiled up near the gauge to lose length heats up, stop cranking and it cools down. I have separated the capillary pipe so that it does not touch any wires but it still heats up on cranking.

Can anyone give me any advice please.

Re: oil pressure guage pipe heating up on sterting

Quote Originally Posted by diyjoe View Post
    Hi All

I am new to this forum and new to tinkering having had a mate that did it for me.

I have a MF35 petrol which I tend to neglect during the winter, and this year had to buy a new battery, on fitting it, the tractor engine turned over and started. Stopped for coffee and when I started the tractor again, the ignition warning light was bright, but on cranking it dims, the engine is sluggish to turn and the odd thing is while trying to crank the oil pressure gauge capillary pipe which is coiled up near the gauge to lose length heats up, stop cranking and it cools down. I have separated the capillary pipe so that it does not touch any wires but it still heats up on cranking.

Can anyone give me any advice please.
    Check your earth wire from the battery- somethings wrong with your tractors earthing and its using the oil pressure pipe as a means to finding an alternative earth!

It sounds like the earth lead may be connected to the dash tinwork where its finding the oil pressure gauge and pipe. If you stick a jump lead on the battery's earth post and onto the starter housing then try you should find the starter works better and the oil pipe doesn't get hot?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Thanks for the info, It is positive earth to dash board tin, a few inches away from the pressure gauge, if the jumper lead works, is it best to run a permanent additional wire from battery to starter motor, or to the nearest available point on the engine block to keep the wire short.

Quote Originally Posted by diyjoe View Post
    Thanks for the info, It is positive earth to dash board tin, a few inches away from the pressure gauge, if the jumper lead works, is it best to run a permanent additional wire from battery to starter motor, or to the nearest available point on the engine block to keep the wire short.
    Yes either would unless you were picky because its being restored? I expect there may be one or two places where the current has to pass through the tinwork so the fastest/easiest fix would be decent earth lead.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......