Thread: WMD? Tick pyemia,joint ill, what????

WMD? Tick pyemia,joint ill, what????

Hi folks,

I have a 4 week old male lamb in hand. We believe that his mother didnít have much nutrition where she was and died at his 3 weeks old (of heather blindness and/or malnutition?). He and another one we picked up was diagnosed with tick pyemia and treated with 2 shots Moxicillian. The found female came round pretty quick and is eating for Scotland, donít think she ever had much milk in her life, but the male is going off his legs. He can stand but finds it v. Diff to move his legs, like he has no muscle strength. We prop him up and he has a good appetite.We have him at day 5 of a course of Synulox and also 0.5 ml Metacam, (although that makes him very doppy).

Do yous think he could have WMD or something else as well?

Re: WMD? Tick pyemia,joint ill, what????

It does not sound like joint ill as that gives hot swollen joints.

I would give a vitamin and mineral drench to an older animal but at such a young age I would like to talk to my vet, as the rumen will not be fully developed. Others may know lots more than me as you learn from what has happened in your own flock.

Thanks for that Barney, my thoughts too.
    Vet reluctant to go further than Synulox, which is not doing much. Anyway, i don't give up easily, I wonder if he could have white muscle disease due to a lack of nourishment pre and after birth? We generally don't have a soil deficiency here on Western Isles, but a lack of adequate feed of any kind could perhaps cause this?
    I'm the "intensive care unit" of the township, so these aren't mine.
    My first post and so grateful for this community of folk.

Quote Originally Posted by croft wifie View Post
    Thanks for that Barney, my thoughts too.
    Vet reluctant to go further than Synulox, which is not doing much. Anyway, i don't give up easily, I wonder if he could have white muscle disease due to a lack of nourishment pre and after birth? We generally don't have a soil deficiency here on Western Isles, but a lack of adequate feed of any kind could perhaps cause this?
    I'm the "intensive care unit" of the township, so these aren't mine.
    My first post and so grateful for this community of folk.
    For what it's worth...

White muscle disease in sheep (as I understand) is caused by a selenium deficiency.

In my cattle, it was evident as difficult calvings and retained afterbirth. Annual dosing with selenium pellets has largely cured the problem.

Quite by chance, when Googling selenium deficiency some years ago, I discovered a 1940s research paper which suggested volcanic soils are deficient in Se because the metal boils off as a gas during vulcanism. Is your area volcanic basalt, by any chance?

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Is your area volcanic basalt, by any chance?

Well i'm not much up on geology, but it's a possible....
    Mostly what we have here is Lewisian Gneiss, predictably, but in it there's all kinds of stuff as veins and intrusions.
    However, my Sheepkeepers Veterinary Book says WMD ;-"a deficiency in the diet of the ewe during pregnancy of selenium and/ or vitamin E, bla bla bla, the lambs are born with insufficient stores in the body.....the vits and mins are VIP for amongst other things, the normal functioning of the muscles. ....Often those growing the most rapidly will show signs first". Of course he is a rangy big boned male!
    Great when you know what to look for.... Sadly it's going to be too late for this wee guy. But may help the others in that flock.
    Thank you so much folks.Much appreciated.