Thread: help needed to set the timing on a international 574 or might be a 674

help needed to set the timing on a international 574 or might be a 674

help needed to set the timing on a international 674 or might even be a 574 as tractor had no bonnet, there are loads of marks on the bottom pulley none of them have tdc or 14 degrees marks, i know when number one is on tdc as i took the injector out and put a straw in and rocked it by hand till i was on tdc but how do i know witch way to turn the engine and how far to get 14 degrees btdc, i have the plate of the injector pump and know there is a line that has to line up when the engine is at 14 degrees. i also have the plate off the timing cover where the is adjustment on the 3 bolts, but till i know i have the engine set to 14 degrees i know its never going to start, also is it it poss to get the pump 180 degrees out ?

Re: help needed to set the timing on a international 574 or might be a 674

You might have no.1 piston on tdc but is it on the compression or exhaust stroke? You need the rocker cover off and when no. 1 piston is at the top,rockers 1 and 2 should be loose. If not, it's on the exhaust stroke and needs turned 1 revolution clockwise. ''TC'' on the crank pulley should also then be aligned with the pointer. One man that will know the rest is Gapples if he's around...........

There should be a pointer on the front of the engine pointing at the crank pulley.
    Get a bit of Emery tape & clean up the pulley, there are timing marks on it.
    Find the marks with 10 & 20 on them, the 1 & 0 of the 10 are either side of the timing mark, same with the 2 & 0 of the 20 & further around if remember correctly D C at the top dead center mark.
    Then as already described find tdc number 1 compression by removing the rocker cover, set it to14 tdc on the pointer at the crank pulley, the degrees are marked on the pulley every 2.
    Once you've got it 14 before tdc compression turn the injection pump with the plate off on the side until you can see the scribe mark.
    Fit the pump & basically clamp everything up with all the aforementioned marks aligned.
    Hope this helps.

hi yes there are marks on the pulley and i did clean it up but there not very clear at all, how do i know if im on the right stroke as the head it also of the engien

Drop the push rods in & watch them as you turn the engine

thanks for your help both of you got there in the end