Thread: Tedder?

Tedder?

Am in the market for a 4 star (20ft) tedder, might be used on light silage occasionally but will be mostly hay, would prefer clean s/h but not ruling out new if necessary. Don't need a rowing option so tedder only, no combi's.

When I say cost isn't an issue, I mean that I'd intend it to be here for many years to come so durability and reliability would take precedent over an extra pound or two on purchase price now.

Default for me would be Kuhn, known build quality, and dealer not far away (even if I would prefer not to darken his door!).

Anything else I should be looking at, or alternatively, anything I should be staying well clear of?

Thanks.

Re: Tedder?

Lely, IMO is the canine's bobbles. Brother in law bought a Kuhn the same time I bought my Lely and he wishes he'd gone for the same as me after using both. I know that on another farming forum, this has been discussed to exhaustion and Lely comes out as the winner every time.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

If buying second hand be careful with hidden wear. I have an old Fella (Reco) useful 8m but not well built so would stay clear. Also worth checking tine prices.

We have a Kuhn GF 5801, it is a six rotor machine, nearly twenty feet wide. It seems to do a good job and we are happy with it. Lely seems to be the preferred choice; my recommendation would be a six rotor machine over a four rotor Angus.

I have a two season old claas for sale
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302736763...84.m1555.l2649

Another vote for Lely. Nothing else comes close for spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    We have a Kuhn GF 5801, it is a six rotor machine, nearly twenty feet wide.
    So will that suit three 8ft rows i.e. 24ft cut width?

Doesn't sound wide enough for three 10ft.

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    So will that suit three 8ft rows i.e. 24ft cut width?

Doesn't sound wide enough for three 10ft.
    Not wide enough for three ten feet swaths. Our mower, [ Kidd Clipper] leaves it in rows; it will just pick up three of these rows. Its stated working width is eighteen feet ten inches. I wanted a larger tedder but this was the largest possible due to the narrow lanes. If a contractor mows for us, then the first time around I just make sure all the grass is moved, even if this means going over part of a row I have just done. It is a pain but it works. I hope this helps Angus.

It does, thank you.

I use a 10ft with conditioner so the rows are left pretty wide but always just assumed that any four star tedder would pick up two of them.

Obviously that is not a safe assumption!