Thread: killing a standing mature tree

killing a standing mature tree

Does anyone have a recipe for killing a standing tree, a sycamore , so that leaves will not be a problem? A number of years ago I killed an Ash tree by drilling holes(6) around the trunk in mid summer, filling the holes with Roundup, the leaves droppd very shortly afterwards (days), this time I am using Gallup which is supposed to be as good as Roundup, and no sign of a dead tree yet. I have used Roundup since the Ash tree and I thought it wasn't as good as the original experience, so maybe something is missing in these chemicals.

Re: killing a standing mature tree

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    Does anyone have a recipe for killing a standing tree, a sycamore , so that leaves will not be a problem? A number of years ago I killed an Ash tree by drilling holes(6) around the trunk in mid summer, filling the holes with Roundup, the leaves droppd very shortly afterwards (days), this time I am using Gallup which is supposed to be as good as Roundup, and no sign of a dead tree yet. I have used Roundup since the Ash tree and I thought it wasn't as good as the original experience, so maybe something is missing in these chemicals.
    Be careful of any surrounding trees with roundup, it can kill neighbouring trees through the roots,
    jack caley

Thank you Jack. In this instance there is a building close by and a road, so no colatteral damage,hopefully!

On this side of the pond, if there was a tree in the forest we didn't want to re-germinate, we would take the chain saw and cut a couple of rings around the tree - 1-2 inches apart and at least an inch below the bark. to be real aggressive, you would knock the bark out between the rings.

if you can't get nutrients to the leaves, they suck everything already in the tree then die.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    On this side of the pond, if there was a tree in the forest we didn't want to re-germinate, we would take the chain saw and cut a couple of rings around the tree - 1-2 inches apart and at least an inch below the bark. to be real aggressive, you would knock the bark out between the rings.

if you can't get nutrients to the leaves, they suck everything already in the tree then die.
    This side of the Pacific, that's called "ring barking". Was a standard method of clearing land in the days before dozers. A couple (or more) plugs of gelignite under the dead tree ensured it met the ground at little cost.

As I discovered as a young bloke, you do not handle unwrapped gelignite with bare hands - unless you fancy a killer of a headache which goes on and on.. and on.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

You guys have lost the plot! I want a quick death, not a slow lingering cruel effort!! And no headaches please!

!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You guys have lost the plot! I want a quick death, not a slow lingering cruel effort!! And no headaches please!
    a follow-up question is what are you going to do with the tree after it is dead? If you are planning on using it for firewood, having the leaves suck all the moisture out of the tree this time of the year (season it) means that you could fall it this fall and burn it this winter - and no chemical output from the stove.

On this side of the pond, they are now starting to say that burning wood for heat or power is carbon-neutral - no fossil fuels involved. Maybe a new crop for hard to access land (40-60 year cycle)?

a follow-up question is what are you going to do with the tree after it is dead? If you are planning on using it for firewood, having the leaves suck all the moisture out of the tree this time of the year (season it) means that you could fall it this fall and burn it this winter - and no chemical output from the stove.

On this side of the pond, they are now starting to say that burning wood for heat or power is carbon-neutral - no fossil fuels involved. Maybe a new crop for hard to access land (40-60 year cycle)?
    I am going to block it then split it for my open fire, I have a hydro system so I will not be relying on an open fire so much. I hear what you say about wood burning being carbon neutral, I just wish more plonkers over here would take note, I think, just yesterday they were saying something completely different on TV, but then I think we have a larger proportion of tree huggers here, I think they won't be happy, that's a very elusive word, until we are walking everywhere, preferably barefoot so that no animals are involved, and no fossil fuel is used, the world really does seem to be going ever so crazy.

. . . I just wish more plonkers over here would take note, I think, just yesterday they were saying something completely different on TV, but then I think we have a larger proportion of tree huggers here, I think they won't be happy, that's a very elusive word, until we are walking everywhere, preferably barefoot so that no animals are involved, and no fossil fuel is used, the world really does seem to be going ever so crazy.
    I think we still have more trees than huggers (some of the lumber rape-ers want to change that ) - I just wish I could get credit for the carbon in my 65 acres of trees

and YES, most of these tree huggers don't realize the amount of fossil fuel used to support their lifestyle, with all the container ships around the world to support the profits of the new aristocracy, the Global Corporations.

Well, the sycamore is looking decidedly ill at the moment, I think the whole thing has been a little protracted by my not drilling enough holes, they should be around 4" apart, mine were nowhere near that, anyway, all's well that ends well, now I have to fell same tree with a pillar to one side as well as the road, and a building to other side, really the thing should have been removed years ago, but the upside is of course I have much more firewood!

Well, the sycamore is looking decidedly ill at the moment, I think the whole thing has been a little protracted by my not drilling enough holes, they should be around 4" apart, mine were nowhere near that, anyway, all's well that ends well, now I have to fell same tree with a pillar to one side as well as the road, and a building to other side, really the thing should have been removed years ago, but the upside is of course I have much more firewood!
    If in doubt, toss a line overran upper branch and hook a long line to the back of the tractor and give it a little pull towards where you want it to fall

If in doubt, toss a line overran upper branch and hook a long line to the back of the tractor and give it a little pull towards where you want it to fall
    Make sure it's a *very* long line - or use a machine with a forestry cab guard!
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Oh I know about how to encourage it to fall where I want it to, and some of it will be no problem, it's when it decides to go in an unforseen direction, an it MUST fall in this instance directly in a line between a pillar and a building.