Thread: Marshall 702 questions

Marshall 702 questions

Hi
    I have 'inherited' an old and not well looked after Marshall 702 tractor.
    I have been trying my hardest to get a tractor mechanic to come by and do a service on it but no wants to touch... eventually found a car mechanic and engine fuel and air filters changed. The oil filter was a pig to get sealed but it is now done.
    I still need a mechanic so if anyone k ows anyone who would take a look please let me know.... Midhurst West Sussex area
    Anyway when I eventually got restarted to top the field today the topper seems to be going faster ..... much faster than it was before, does the PTO have 2 speeds? Wonder if I have managed to select a 2nd speed.
    Also it has a hydraulic oil leak (pipe I think) i put in a gallon of fluid today in that funny double nut thing behind the seat and it didnt even register on the back dipstick!! How much should it take?
    Many thanks
    Tim

Re: Marshall 702 questions

Quote Originally Posted by tim2223 View Post
    Hi
    I have 'inherited' an old and not well looked after Marshall 702 tractor.
    I have been trying my hardest to get a tractor mechanic to come by and do a service on it but no wants to touch... eventually found a car mechanic and engine fuel and air filters changed. The oil filter was a pig to get sealed but it is now done.
    I still need a mechanic so if anyone k ows anyone who would take a look please let me know.... Midhurst West Sussex area
    Anyway when I eventually got restarted to top the field today the topper seems to be going faster ..... much faster than it was before, does the PTO have 2 speeds? Wonder if I have managed to select a 2nd speed.
    Also it has a hydraulic oil leak (pipe I think) i put in a gallon of fluid today in that funny double nut thing behind the seat and it didnt even register on the back dipstick!! How much should it take?
    Many thanks
    Tim

TP would probably be a mine of info on these, but in the meantime this site looks to be a wealth of info for you or whoever you can get to look it for you?

https://www.thenuffieldandleylandtra...o.uk/wp/about/

Lot of info here - https://www.thenuffieldandleylandtra...pecifications/
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Oil quantity for the transmission and back end(all one) from empty is around 55-60 litres. Either SUTO or UTTO and not straight hydraulic oil.2 speed pto was available on them but cant think where the speed lever is!

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

The 702 was available in several different formats depending on age. if you have a dipstick for the rear end you must have a late model or someone has fitted one to an earlier model. The early ones had a level bung like the blue models which wasn't much use to tell anything other than "full" . Because the design of the transmission dipstick includes an o ring at the top you need to remove the dipstick and let the oil settle for a couple of minutes before putting it back in and removing again for a reading. If you just pull the dipstick out after the tractor has been used it will give the impression that there is no oil in the backend at all. The location of the PTO lever will depend on whether you have a QM cab or an explorer cab and whether you have two speed pto which was optional on early models but standard on later ones. On an explorer cab the pto lever is beside the PUH lever near the levelling screw handle to the rh rear of the seat. It has a red interlock lever that must be preset to 540 or 1000 for your current task. it was intended to prevent accidentally selecting the wrong speed. On a QM model the pto lever is down to the lhs of the seat near the handbrake. It is sort of sort stubby and cast iron.
    Last edited by T P; 11-06-18 at 06:01 PM.

TP
    Thank you so much for helping out a no nothing like me!!!
    The cab is the one with the red PTO lock lever on RH side of drivers seat.
    I am confident now its a 2 speed pto as after playing around with it I now have the PTO speed I had before..... sadly so far I am not sure how I acheived it!!
    I havr also put 30 litres of fluid in the back end and it is sounding a lot better. I have not put more in yet as I have found someone to come by and look at fixing the hose that is leaking on Wednesday. I say hose but it actually looks metal with a plastic winding round it, it comes from the area by the front axle and then shoots up somewhere behind yhe dashboard.... not sure yet where it goes or what it does. The dipstick by the way is a proper dipstick, located below and to the right of the filler cap behind the seat.

Thank you very much again.
    Best
    Tim

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

No problem wit the help.Regarding the pto speed selection, the red lever flips over to point towards the seat or away from it.If it is working properly it is only possible to move the selection lever in the direction the red lever is pointed. From memory little red lever towards the mudguard only allows the main lever to move to 540 pto rpm and little red lever towards the seat only allows the main lever to go into 1000rpm. If the back window was missing a while and it rained in the setup could sieze up if not used often. From your description of the leaking pipe you are describing a power steering pipe which can be awkward to access at the steering wheel end or I am wondering if it is one of the two pipes from the hydraulic pump. There are two pumps in tandem driven from the crankshaft pulley. They were prone to leak right at the pump where the end of steel pipe passes through the nut and is sealed by a large square cut O ring. The steel pipes turn into a conventional hydraulic hose which runs along the side of the engine to the combining valve behind the little plastic handle below the 123 R gear lever. (may be missing revealing just a metal square).If so it's not that hard to fix if you have the right size spanners to remove the nuts. If you take a picture of where you are losing the oil I'll be better able to confirm. As a matter of interest do you have the oil filter inside the cannister on the engine or the later spin on cartridge? If the former check someone hasn't lost the spring loaded assembly inside the can that holds and seals the element. Frequently owners used to tip the can into the drain basin to discard the old element into the waste oil and didn't notice the retainer spring and little clip fall in as well then re-assembling with the new element which they might as well have left out without the other parts. Even with the new element inside the cannister but no retaining parts the engine runs without an oil filter which soon damages the bearings. Are you sure the spring, filter retaining assembly and clip were still in place? A "Marshall" should have a spin on threaded filter anyway but I just mention the other in case the engine has been swooped out for an older one.To clean the hydraulic suction filter gauze unscrew and pull down the bolt that is in the centre of the elbow where the oil comes from the middle of the rear axle then remove and clean the strainer, refit carefully not damaging the seal and not overtightening to distort the Aluminium casing the push the bolt back and tighten it. The business with the bolt pulls a shutter down so it's not necessary to drain all the transmission oil to clean the suction gauze. I have the owner and service manuals so just ask if you need anything from them and I'll get back to you when I'm free. I'd recommend changing the engine coolant for something good quality as the corrosion inhibitor in coolant only lasts about two years and high pressure hydraulic filter if the tractor is otherwise serviceable, the former to protect the engine from internal corrosion and the later to protect the hydraulics. Both are often neglected. There is an inexpensive filter I the power steering reservoir too. Look after your power steering pump as the original ones are no longer available and the alternate is expensive. If you have to change a really awkward power steering pipe what I have sometimes done in the past on a tattier tractor is to remove the floor mat and cut a hole in the steel binnacle to access it then stick it back in with silicone or similar. Just don't set it on fire doing so. Drilling holes and cutting between them with a reciprocating saw is tidier and lower fire risk than an angle grinder cut hole. Just be careful not to damage anything else at the same time. It is perfectly possible to change the pipes without cutting a hole but sometimes you need to bend a spanner and pull out the foam sound insulation to reach up in over the starter.

TP
    Thank you so much !!! I truly appreciate your time!!!

I am stopping off at the mechanics garage first thing to ask him about the oil filter.

I also have a hose man coming out to check but weirdly I have just been running it and its stopped leaking again.

My sincere thanks.
    Tim

Coolant change Sunday and searching tomorrow to find the hydraulic filter.