Thread: Flax in France.

Flax in France.

I have just had a week at a gite in France. The farm it was on grew potatoes, sugar beet, wheat barley, rape and FLAX!

i found it interesting in these days of problems with plastic, fossil fuels and man made fibre.
    The gite had beautiful linen curtains and linen everywhere.
    Mr Gove is going to change our our farming policies, I wonder if he could be persuaded to support sustainable crops like flax or hemp?
    Just an idea!
    Jack Caley

Re: Flax in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I have just had a week at a gite in France. The farm it was on grew potatoes, sugar beet, wheat barley, rape and FLAX!

i found it interesting in these days of problems with plastic, fossil fuels and man made fibre.
    The gite had beautiful linen curtains and linen everywhere.
    Mr Gove is going to change our our farming policies, I wonder if he could be persuaded to support sustainable crops like flax or hemp?
    Just an idea!
    Jack Caley
    I thought I saw something the other day where someone (a Senator?) was pushing for hemp to be legal in the US

I have been persuaded to grow a small plot of flax for the spinners/weavers in this household next year. Going by the books hanging about on the subject it is the in thing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    I thought I saw something the other day where someone (a Senator?) was pushing for hemp to be legal in the US
    I think maybe the hem you are talking about is not the same as is grown here. the drug content is practically non existent. The use of the hemp here is in insulation materials and it is also used in car production for things like door panels.
    Flax was grown in England, there was a factory near here but it went on to producing polystyrene for insulation. We used that in pig buildings, but it was fatal in a fire, dead in a few minutes.
    jack caley