Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 84 of 84

Thread: Gee you have won!

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Once heard a description of American Foriegn Diplomacy......
    ”Akin to a Happy Labrador in a glass and china shop”

  2. #62
    Senior Member Joyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Staffs
    Posts
    612

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Once heard a description of American Foriegn Diplomacy......
    ”Akin to a Happy Labrador in a glass and china shop”
    The Queen might have preferred a corgi today!
    But if choice is Trump or Junker I know who I would want onside.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    170

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Well Trump is Trump, Clinton was Clinton, etc. and we (and the population of the US) have to put up with that. But I will remind you all of this, which the younger generation by which I mean anyone living here under the age of 50, either don't know about or choose to forget. If it wasn't for the yanks we would be living under the jackboot now. They are our greatest ally and have been for decades.
    I know the yanks eventually came to our aid but it was only after the Japs had kicked their arse at Pearl Harbour. They would even let us have the ships and planes that we had bought off them.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    The Queen might have preferred a corgi today!
    But if choice is Trump or Junker I know who I would want onside.
    Referring to the “what you say or don’t say” quote....
    The trick is, to persuade both parties that they are onside.

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,445

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    I know the yanks eventually came to our aid but it was only after the Japs had kicked their arse at Pearl Harbour. They would even let us have the ships and planes that we had bought off them.
    If that were the only reason they got involved why didn't they just concentrate on the Japs then ? They lost far more men and women when fighting in Europe than they did in the Far East. The U.K. woudl have been seriously short of everything if they hadn't waded in. D-Day and the subsequent few weeks was a near-disaster for the Yanks.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    882

    Re: Gee you have won!

    For God's sake

    Criticising Trump isn't being anti-American any more than criticising May is being treasonous.

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    780

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Referring to the “what you say or don’t say” quote....
    The trick is, to persuade both parties that they are onside.
    Gee,
    just wondered if you managed to watch the YouTube?
    jack caley

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    170

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    If that were the only reason they got involved why didn't they just concentrate on the Japs then ? They lost far more men and women when fighting in Europe than they did in the Far East. The U.K. woudl have been seriously short of everything if they hadn't waded in. D-Day and the subsequent few weeks was a near-disaster for the Yanks.
    I didn't say that was the only reason they joined in but they weren't being particularly helpful beforehand. The fact the '30's was a bad time financially for the US was probably a big factor in their decision making.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    780

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    I didn't say that was the only reason they joined in but they weren't being particularly helpful beforehand. The fact the '30's was a bad time financially for the US was probably a big factor in their decision making.
    Understandably, one of the main reasons was the memory of how many they lost in fighting for somebody else in the Great War. Do not forget also, people like Joe Kennedy were very pro Germany.
    jack caley

  10. #70
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness East Yorks
    Posts
    17

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Trump fights for America?
    Does he?
    Trumps says and does whatever he feels will get him re-elected, what is good for America and good for Donald Trump is not necessarily the same thing.
    One of his great complaints is that The streets of America are full of EU etc built cars, he seldom sees American built cars in Europe.
    Err isn’t MB American owned?
    Why would we want pretty poor quality gas guzzlers from America when vastly superior vehicles are available here?
    One very experienced foreign Diplomat remarked that the skill of Foriegn relations for diplomats and politicians, but especially diplomats, was not what you said, but you did not say!
    Mr Trump has a little way to go before learns that particular lesson.
    Gee, you focused on my remarks about trump and not the ludicrous situation of the failing EU (half staffed by unelected former politicians who have been run out of their own countries), it’s dreadful currency and it’s pissed leadership!.......just go and speak with people in Spain, Greece, Italy, even Germany is wobbling about EU impacts or more to the point Merkels immigration shambles! You can’t govern from the arctic circle to Turkey with the same rules, large blocks always fail if there is no local representation because by definition you can’t have local representation of any worth in a large block!

    This is not Brexit and it’s being forced upon us by a remainer leading a remainer cabinet in a remainer parliament with a remainer upper house........IT STINKS!'!!

    YA
    Last edited by Young Apprentice; 15-07-18 at 11:09 PM.

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,191

    Re: Gee you have won!

    So how far off are we from the end of Mrs May's premiership with all that has been going on. What about another general election?

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    780

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    So how far off are we from the end of Mrs May's premiership with all that has been going on. What about another general election?
    Funny thing I think another general election would be worse than a second referendum!
    I think Corbyn would win and create even more chaos, and there is not time to elect another leader, even though today Anna Soubery was saying that Rees Mogg is now running the country. Come to think of it, not a bad idea, at least he is positive.
    Europe has out manoeuvred the whole lot of them, they should have gone for a hard Brexit from the word go, and let them come to us, they have more to lose than us(40 billion)?
    Making me I'll.
    jack caley

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    882

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Rees Mogg is now running the country.
    Sturgeon should adopt that as a campaign slogan. It would be enough to make me vote for independance.

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    452

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I think Corbyn would win
    I would respectfully disagree Mr Caley.

    I think it's the spectre of comrade Corbyn entering the doors of Number 10 which allows the Tories to fight, squabble, and just generally make such a hash of things at present without the fear of consequence. I really can't see Corbyn ever being PM no matter how hard the Tories try to screw things up, and at the minute they're giving it a good go.
    Last edited by wrsni; 21-07-18 at 09:22 AM.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    780

    Re: Gee you have won!

    [QUOTE=wrsni;308413]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I think Corbyn would win/QUOTE]

    I would respectfully disagree Mr Caley.

    I think it's the spectre of comrade Corbyn entering the doors of Number 10 which allows the Tories to fight, squabble, and just generally make such a hash of things at present without the fear of consequence. I really can't see Corbyn ever being PM no matter how hard the Tories try to screw things up, and at the minute they're giving it a good go.
    Who would have dreamt at the last election that the conservatives would have lost 33 seats?
    Corbyn played a blinder about austerity etc. He ignored Brexit and immigration and I think would repeat the exercise only better next time.
    jack caley

  16. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    882

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Trump has just allocated $12billion to prop up US agriculture suffering from the effects of his trade war.

    Oops, there goes that level playing field we were hoping for, after Brexit.

    Be afraid, be very afraid...

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    780

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Trump has just allocated $12billion to prop up US agriculture suffering from the effects of his trade war.

    Oops, there goes that level playing field we were hoping for, after Brexit.

    Be afraid, be very afraid...
    It just does confirm though that the UK is being used in the whole Brexit scam.
    Why should the US have to pay the protectionist Europe .excess tariffs?
    Jack caley

  18. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    882

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    It just does confirm though that the UK is being used in the whole Brexit scam.
    Why should the US have to pay the protectionist Europe .excess tariffs?
    Jack caley
    Not sure what your point is

    The US has lost a huge amount of trade in agricultural produce with China and Mexico and will be looking to dump it's (now heavily subsidised) produce elsewhere.

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    780

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Not sure what your point is

    The US has lost a huge amount of trade in agricultural produce with China and Mexico and will be looking to dump it's (now heavily subsidised) produce elsewhere.
    My point about being used as a pawn is that for instance, US tariffs on cars from Europe are less than in reverse. If we manage to achieve Brexit with an open border with Ireland, Europe will not be able to control tariffs. Ireland is already looking to build two super ferries to Europe which will drive a coach and horses through European protectionism.
    Everyone thinks Trump is a buffoon but I am not so sure!
    jack caley

  20. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    882

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    My point about being used as a pawn is that for instance, US tariffs on cars from Europe are less than in reverse.
    Maybe you should look at the whole picture before swallowing Trump's rhetoric. He cherry-picks a few figures, takes them out of context, and uses them as a club to beat the sh!t out of his opponents (sound familiar?)


    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...ire-2018-06-22

    Now it’s true that Europe has higher tariffs on foreign cars. The EU applies a 10% tariff on American-made cars. The U.S. only charges a 2.5% tariff.
    The numbers don’t tell the entire story, though.

    Many U.S.-made cars exported to Europe, for instance, are exempt from the EU tariff because they include a requisite percentage of parts made on the Continent. American automakers also build cars in Europe.

    Only 15% of U.S. autos shipped to the EU last year were subject to the tariff, estimates Christine McDaniel, senior research fellow at George Mason University’s Mercatus Center.

    What Trump also fails to mention is that the U.S. has a much higher 25% tariff on foreign-made SUVs and light trucks, the sweet spot in the American auto market. By contrast, the EU charges 10%.

    Ford and General Motors have made a killing selling bigger vehicles such as the Ford F-150 and Chevrolet Silverado.
    Trump's using the whole world as his pawn. If we get a deal with the EU, and it's ratified by all concerned, they will stick to it.
    Any deal with Trump will only last until the first morning he wakes up in a bad mood.

  21. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    780

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Maybe you should look at the whole picture before swallowing Trump's rhetoric. He cherry-picks a few figures, takes them out of context, and uses them as a club to beat the sh!t out of his opponents (sound familiar?)


    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ho...ire-2018-06-22



    Trump's using the whole world as his pawn. If we get a deal with the EU, and it's ratified by all concerned, they will stick to it.
    Any deal with Trump will only last until the first morning he wakes up in a bad mood.
    The funny part of all the shonet that surrounds that idiot trump, is that actions speak louder than words.
    Remember all the hookah there was about his golf courses in Scotland? In the end he got his way and was able to escape for a round of golf last week.
    He is a businessman, not a politician. He has no grasp as to what political correctness i
    I am no supporter of his, but the whole scenario amuses me. At the bottom of him is a real world.
    Why should Scunthorpe steel workers keep their jobs at the expense of Philadelphia workers.
    They are dismantling rocket bases in N Korea.
    It amazes me!
    jack caley
    Last edited by Jack_Caley; 25-07-18 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Correction

  22. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    The funny part of all the shonet that surrounds that idiot trump, is that actions speak louder than words.
    Remember all the hookah there was about his golf courses in Scotland? In the end he got his way and was able to escape for a round of golf last week.
    He is a businessman, not a politician. He has no grasp as to what political correctness i
    I am no supporter of his, but the whole scenario amuses me. At the bottom of him is a real world.
    Why should Scunthorpe steel workers keep their jobs at the expense of Philadelphia workers.
    They are dismantling rocket bases in N Korea.
    It amazes me!
    jack caley
    Not so sure about the businessman bit.
    He has huge amounts of cash available , from various places.
    Not so sure he has been hugely succesful, succesful businessmen or indeed Business people tend not to be drawn to the world of politics, they get their kicks from success.
    Nope it is the less succesful that are drawn to politics......bit like the old saying....... “those that can,do,....... those that can’t, tell others how to do it”
    I think Trumper falls exactly into the latter.
    Probably not the way Donald saw things working out.....
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...ction-to-china

  23. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    882

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Remember all the hookah there was about his golf courses in Scotland? In the end he got his way.
    No, he didn't. He took the Scottish Government to the Court of Session, and lost. He appealed, and lost. He took it to The Supreme Court, and lost.
    The wind farm's been built.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    They are dismantling rocket bases in N Korea.
    No they're not. They're dismantling an engine testing facility, which they don't need any more anyway.
    And even if they did, they still have 5 or 6 more.
    The rocket bases haven't been touched. The North Koreans aren't even turning up for pre-arranged meetings with Pompeo.

    Trump won't be able to spin his North Korean diplomacy as a success for much longer...

  24. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    780

    Re: Gee you have won!

    these latest scare mongering techniques are amusing.
    for instance running out of food. it just confirms exactly how much it would have been better for us to pull out and let them come to us. just confirms for instance how they have destroyed our industries, for instance the pig industry. 40% of the pigmeat going in the factory near here comes from Europe, they destroyed our pig industry with poor standards regulation.
    We should get tough, and then we might have some money for our health service.
    Jack Caley

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •