Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Gee you have won!

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Once heard a description of American Foriegn Diplomacy......
    ”Akin to a Happy Labrador in a glass and china shop”

  2. #62
    Senior Member Joyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Staffs
    Posts
    612

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Once heard a description of American Foriegn Diplomacy......
    ”Akin to a Happy Labrador in a glass and china shop”
    The Queen might have preferred a corgi today!
    But if choice is Trump or Junker I know who I would want onside.

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    152

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Well Trump is Trump, Clinton was Clinton, etc. and we (and the population of the US) have to put up with that. But I will remind you all of this, which the younger generation by which I mean anyone living here under the age of 50, either don't know about or choose to forget. If it wasn't for the yanks we would be living under the jackboot now. They are our greatest ally and have been for decades.
    I know the yanks eventually came to our aid but it was only after the Japs had kicked their arse at Pearl Harbour. They would even let us have the ships and planes that we had bought off them.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northumbrialand
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Joyce View Post
    The Queen might have preferred a corgi today!
    But if choice is Trump or Junker I know who I would want onside.
    Referring to the “what you say or don’t say” quote....
    The trick is, to persuade both parties that they are onside.

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,416

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    I know the yanks eventually came to our aid but it was only after the Japs had kicked their arse at Pearl Harbour. They would even let us have the ships and planes that we had bought off them.
    If that were the only reason they got involved why didn't they just concentrate on the Japs then ? They lost far more men and women when fighting in Europe than they did in the Far East. The U.K. woudl have been seriously short of everything if they hadn't waded in. D-Day and the subsequent few weeks was a near-disaster for the Yanks.

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    870

    Re: Gee you have won!

    For God's sake

    Criticising Trump isn't being anti-American any more than criticising May is being treasonous.

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    739

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Referring to the “what you say or don’t say” quote....
    The trick is, to persuade both parties that they are onside.
    Gee,
    just wondered if you managed to watch the YouTube?
    jack caley

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    152

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    If that were the only reason they got involved why didn't they just concentrate on the Japs then ? They lost far more men and women when fighting in Europe than they did in the Far East. The U.K. woudl have been seriously short of everything if they hadn't waded in. D-Day and the subsequent few weeks was a near-disaster for the Yanks.
    I didn't say that was the only reason they joined in but they weren't being particularly helpful beforehand. The fact the '30's was a bad time financially for the US was probably a big factor in their decision making.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    739

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    I didn't say that was the only reason they joined in but they weren't being particularly helpful beforehand. The fact the '30's was a bad time financially for the US was probably a big factor in their decision making.
    Understandably, one of the main reasons was the memory of how many they lost in fighting for somebody else in the Great War. Do not forget also, people like Joe Kennedy were very pro Germany.
    jack caley

  10. #70
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness East Yorks
    Posts
    17

    Re: Gee you have won!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Trump fights for America?
    Does he?
    Trumps says and does whatever he feels will get him re-elected, what is good for America and good for Donald Trump is not necessarily the same thing.
    One of his great complaints is that The streets of America are full of EU etc built cars, he seldom sees American built cars in Europe.
    Err isn’t MB American owned?
    Why would we want pretty poor quality gas guzzlers from America when vastly superior vehicles are available here?
    One very experienced foreign Diplomat remarked that the skill of Foriegn relations for diplomats and politicians, but especially diplomats, was not what you said, but you did not say!
    Mr Trump has a little way to go before learns that particular lesson.
    Gee, you focused on my remarks about trump and not the ludicrous situation of the failing EU (half staffed by unelected former politicians who have been run out of their own countries), it’s dreadful currency and it’s pissed leadership!.......just go and speak with people in Spain, Greece, Italy, even Germany is wobbling about EU impacts or more to the point Merkels immigration shambles! You can’t govern from the arctic circle to Turkey with the same rules, large blocks always fail if there is no local representation because by definition you can’t have local representation of any worth in a large block!

    This is not Brexit and it’s being forced upon us by a remainer leading a remainer cabinet in a remainer parliament with a remainer upper house........IT STINKS!'!!

    YA
    Last edited by Young Apprentice; Yesterday at 11:09 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •