Thread: ferguson TE35 petrol/TVO tractor - starting problems

ferguson TE35 petrol/TVO tractor - starting problems

Hi

newbe to the forum - so Hi All

i would very much appreciate any help you can provide as i am running out of ideas.

i have a ferguson TE35 4 cylinder petrol/TVO tractor (1958). it did very little last year and was outside all winter.

i am trying to get it going. so all the standard has been done (spark plugs leads air filter, carb, fuel change). it now cranks over fine but will not fire/start up. (drained the battery twice!)

any thoughts?

thanks

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: ferguson TE35 petrol/TVO tractor - starting problems

That one hasn't been aired for a while!!
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Bar View Post
    Hi

newbe to the forum - so Hi All

i would very much appreciate any help you can provide as i am running out of ideas.

i have a ferguson TE35 4 cylinder petrol/TVO tractor (1958). it did very little last year and was outside all winter.

i am trying to get it going. so all the standard has been done (spark plugs leads air filter, carb, fuel change). it now cranks over fine but will not fire/start up. (drained the battery twice!)

any thoughts?

thanks
    After cranking are the plugs wet or dry?

if they are dry, squirt a teaspoon of petrol in each of the sparkplug holes, refit plugs and crank over to see if it fires, if it does then find out why petrol isn't getting out of the carb into the engine

if they are wet, dry them off, connect them up so each plug is connected and laid on the head making an earth, crank it over to see if you have sparks, if none, rig up a HT lead from the coil to a spark plug or if your brave hold the lead a wee way from a good earth and crank it over to see if there is a spark now.

if there is then look at the rotor arm and distributor cap for tracking marks where sparks have run to earth (look at the 4 contacts in the cap to see if there are any build up of scale on them, you can hook it off with a screwdriver but if the contacts get "burnt" away a lot the resulting air gap between them and the rotor arm may be too big for the spark to jump)

if there isn't a spark then see if the coil will produce a spark simply by using the single lead held 1-2mm from the engine and having removed the wire from the coil that goes to the distributor briefly short that terminal to earth with the ign on (having checked there is power reaching the coils other terminal!) each time you short to earth it should produce a spark, if the coil is ok and you get a spark then you need to look at the distributor to check the points are working correctly and have a good earth, also check the condensor although usually replacing these with a new one is the normal procedure.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......