Thread: Massey 5465 getting hot

Massey 5465 getting hot

Weíve got a really annoying issue with our Massey 5465 that I would appreciate some advice with if anyone can help? I can use the tractor all day on the mower/flail topper or any implement for that matter and the temperature very rarely raises above half way (the same temperature that our 5455 normally runs at too) yet when I take it 4 miles down the road with a trailer on it gets hot, and I mean almost into the red hot. The rads are spotlessly clean and the coolant is clean and topped up with antifreeze, air filter is clean too. I seems that the temperature directly correponds to revs!

Re: Massey 5465 getting hot

What weight do you have on the trailer? Is it a braked trailer?

Itís a Herbst low loader generally which we carry a 6 ton digger on but it gets warm when the trailer is empty too. Itíll be the same with the 1650 gallon tanker too. All our trailers are braked and kept in good order

It sounds like it might be linked to the transmission working harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lloyd View Post
    I seems that the temperature directly correponds to revs!
    You've probably already checked, but fan belt slipping? If you're using alot of beacons on the road the extra drag of the alternator would contribute.

Roadwork will have the the tractor at full power almost all the time.

I would try removing the thermostat and see how it performs on road work then. If that solves it, I would then put a new thermostat in.

Iíve checked the belt and itís nice and tight. I thought possibly viscous fan not starting up when it should?? Iíll try the thermostat first though, itís strange how she can happily work all day with the flail topper at 2000rpm and not heat up but you can literally watch the temp guage go up when youíre on the road at 2500rmp though. Iíd have thought that the greater air flow would run it cooler.

I suspect it would heat up even on the mowing if there was a problem with the viscous fan.

Can you hear the fan coming on when she gets warm and going off again when it's cooled it down again?

Be careful removing the thermostat. On some engines it may allow coolant to bi-pass the rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lloyd View Post
    Iíve checked the belt and itís nice and tight. I thought possibly viscous fan not starting up when it should?? Iíll try the thermostat first though, itís strange how she can happily work all day with the flail topper at 2000rpm and not heat up but you can literally watch the temp guage go up when youíre on the road at 2500rmp though. Iíd have thought that the greater air flow would run it cooler.
    2000 rpm to 2500 rpm => 25% more RPM therefor likely 25% more fuel being burnt => 25% more heat

perhaps, the next time you are on the road, try running a little slower - say 2000 rpm - see if it heats up as fast?

BTW, how many hours are on the machine?

6400hrs on her, Iíve tried slackening off on the road but it doesnít seem to make a difference, you tend to have to put your foot down as thereís a few hills round here! (Our Massey 5455 and old same silver 100.6 manage on the same job without running hot on the same roads). It was mentioned to me today that the thermostat housing is plastic and they can distort over time and looking at our 5465 earlier I noticed a bit of water running down the front of the block from the thermostat housing so Iím going to order a housing and thermostat tomorrow and I hope itíll cure it, damn itís annoying, it renders the tractor almost useless for roadwork!

head gasket?? check for white scum on oil filler breathing heavily,excessive pressure on the expansion tank etc