Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: & now the fusarium

sprayspray

& now the fusarium

never seen so much fusarium coming in the wheats. Loads of pink grains already. Has had a big ear wash (0.7 proline). I dont think applying more fungicide now will do any good ?

Seat Right Back

Re: & now the fusarium

well with us im told its Septoria Nodorum , its absolutely rampant

Fen lad

Quote Originally Posted by sprayspray View Post
    never seen so much fusarium coming in the wheats. Loads of pink grains already. Has had a big ear wash (0.7 proline). I dont think applying more fungicide now will do any good ?

Yes - I have seen it - half ears killed off. And you certainly did do the bees knees T3 ear wash with 0.7 Proline - just about full rate so not as though you did not try.

czechmate

It's getting me quite depressed today, looking at it all whilst finishing protein spray:cry:. I was wondering though, with plenty of green leaves, will the other grains grow bigger and compensate?. Glass seven eighths full

RBM

Pretty rampant here too, found it a bit soul destroying looking round today!

Spot about the Proline, you can't get any more robust than that, perfect storm for disease this year unfortunately.

TexelBurger

Same here,just got back from a weeks holiday and can't believe the difference.Wheat is plastered in Septoria and Fusarium to such an extent i cannot see where any yield is going to come from,and that is after the most robust fungicide problem we've ever put on including all the latest chemistry.Very,very dissappointing to say the least,everyone else around here looks to be in the same boat too.

Ramrod

+1

Been expecting it.

shakerator

2008 had massive fusarium but bumper yields

i still think yields will be good, above 5 yr average but probably not what we were hoping in may.

G.rainman

Alas, the same here too. Is it worth a T4 spray? Had differing advice from agronomists. One recommends it is all sprayed with Orius20 (tebuconazole) and a cheap and cheerful epoxiconazole while the other reckons that it is shutting the door after the horse has bolted and won't see any significant yield gain for money spent. Who to believe!?

It was T3'd with Orius20 and Rubric on 19th June.

Time to top it up? (Obvoiusly being careful of harvest timings)

Clive

Had a good look about today and things are not as bad as I feared they maybe !

we were late with the last fungicide (weather delays) so maybe that has helped things - 4th fungicide (teb and amistar) applied 26/06

can still certainly find fusarium but not at concerning levels yet

desperate for some sunshine though to make it yield

jhorr30

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    It's getting me quite depressed today, looking at it all whilst finishing protein spray:cry:.
    Up here 10 miles from Edinburgh there are a dam sight more things to worry about than a bit of fusarium.
    Fields are almost impassible even on a quad. Potato crops are needing blight sprays, veg planting isn't finished and along with the potato's a lot is getting rotted out with the amount of standing water there is lying about.
    First cut silage and hay crops are either lying mown and rotting or just rotting as they grow.
    Cattle are having to be rehoused as silage aftermaths aren't available to graze, and the fields they are in are poached to hell and bare.
    Think most up here would be happy to have a bit of a yield loss and be able to spray the crop and help preserve it than be in the predicament that we are in.

TAG Direct

Don't worry.

Be happy.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...928.x/abstract

Could do with some Plain English though

'....free environmental moisture, such as from rainfall, ....' = rain

woodywellingtons

Quote Originally Posted by TAG Direct View Post
    Don't worry.

Be happy.

Not very helpful.
    Out in the field it is not just pink grains....part/half and whole ears are being lost to Septoria, leaving no, or a very small shrivelled grain.

Not variety specific
    Not fungicide timing or product specific
    Early drilled showing worst symptoms, but later drilling will follow shortly
    Impact on yield:
    Last week looked negligible
    Today looks like 10-15%
    End of week I hope not 30%

Unchartered waters with this level and persistance of rainfall, combined with LOW temperatures.

spotty_dog

My JB Diego heads are turning a funny colour, will that be fusarium ? It had 0.4 Kestrel 10 days ago as a T3. The Gravitas is still very clean so far, with the same T3.

Jon9000

Looks like grain fill is going to be really shit this year, such promising crops yeilding so poorly!

All our wheats are getting full of septoria and all sorts of head problems that ive never seen before

agricontract

If some grains die will the other fill more to compensate

sandersj89

Quote Originally Posted by agricontract View Post
    They certainly did last year with us in the drought. Very high bushel weight with yields down.

Jim Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by agricontract View Post
    No! not if the crop is full of disease which it is this year...if it was droughted then it rained then it might be able to compensate...most crops of wheat I have seen over the weekend have now had it..:cry:

ex_pool_manager_ha

IMHO, the wheats look surprisingly well given abject weather of the last 3 months. Sure, there is disease evident but current prices more than compensate for maybe below av yield? Glass half full approach, blooming glad not running a pool anymore, that's for sure! It's going to be a bore with grain quality though, DON testing and pink grain issues etc after several years of good spec wheats.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pool_manager_ha View Post
    IMHO, the wheats look surprisingly well given abject weather of the last 3 months. Sure, there is disease evident but current prices more than compensate for maybe below av yield? Glass half full approach, blooming glad not running a pool anymore, that's for sure! It's going to be a bore with grain quality though, DON testing and pink grain issues etc after several years of good spec wheats.
    Will ANYTHING pass the don test?, or will the goalposts be moved?

Ramrod

Quote Originally Posted by sprayspray View Post
    It'll be ergot's next, just to p**s us all off!

CORK

Quote Originally Posted by TAG Direct View Post
    Don't worry.

Be happy.

"Dont worry - be happy???" I cant think of much to be happy about when it comes to Fusarium in wheat....

Very serious infection over here too. Across all varieties.

At least growers can be assured that most of this Fusarium was beyond their control. If you get enough bad weather at flowering, all the chemicals in the world will ony give moderate control at best. However, they certainly do help on ear diseases aswell as topping up on leaf protection.

In my trials, the earlier varieties have been hit hardest. Next year it could be the later varieties if the wet comes at a different time.

The Fusarium infection we are seeing now occured back when the ear was flowering. All we can hope is that it doesnt spread into the rachis (spine) of the ear and kill the spiklets further up.

A lot of growers are asking if a late run of chem will do anything to lessen further infection - a hard question to answer and my gut feeling is that it will do very little as the damage has already occured.
    However, I applied a late run of 3/4 rate Tebuconazole 4 days ago across one replication of a 4 replication trial. I can then have a look later to see if there are any visual or yield differences....

At least the prices are still rising - it would certainly make a struggle of a harvest more palatable.

czechmate

Just bought all my forward sales back, at the cost of a good new car. This harvest per acre could be in the 1's

Clive

Just bought all my forward sales back, at the cost of a good new car. This harvest per acre could be in the 1's

H.B.F.C

I,ve just looked at some of the wheat crops I've sprayed this year- all a bit depressing - fusarium and septoria everywhere. Cordiale seems to be the worst affected. What is confusing is the best crop is 2 fields of Alchemy which only had one fungicide application (1st May- Kingdom + Artemis), These look really good, green flag leaves and long ears.I dont understand why

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by H.B.F.C View Post
    I,ve just looked at some of the wheat crops I've sprayed this year- all a bit depressing - fusarium and septoria everywhere. Cordiale seems to be the worst affected. What is confusing is the best crop is 2 fields of Alchemy which only had one fungicide application (1st May- Kingdom + Artemis), These look really good, green flag leaves and long ears.I dont understand why

On a similar note. I throw some wheat around then Harrow in then make electric fence pens for pigs. Now, because of the shape some bits get missed. So these bits of wheat, no chems at all (also no N) look fine and would probally make top yield on the farm.

Richard

Your mad! this happened last year with foreseen yields at 1t/ac, this year we will be overwhelmed with poor quality wheat that cant find a home.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by H.B.F.C View Post
    The fungicides scorch and stress letting disease in???... just a thought!

crooky

God almighty, you lot will be looking for tall trees and short ropes next, this is farming in a maritime climate, shit happens, somethings you can't control, chill out.

As they say in OZ, the longer it goes on the closer we are to the end.

czechmate

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Your mad! this happened last year with foreseen yields at 1t/ac, this year we will be overwhelmed with poor quality wheat that cant find a home.

I don't think we will be overwhelmed with anything:cry:. Last year I forsaw a good harvest.
    Btw, my agronomist thought it a good idea/prudent to get out of any commitments. I could see myself being hundreds of tonnes short at over a hundred pounds per tonne