Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: & now the fusarium

essexpeasant

Re: & now the fusarium

We combined 100 tonne of Solstice on Monday evening and just got the DON test - 250.

Phew, needed something to go right this year.

EP

Panzer III

Out of curiosity, what were protein, specific weight, hagberg and YIELD like, compared to 'normal'.

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by essexpeasant View Post
    We combined 100 tonne of Solstice on Monday evening and just got the DON test - 250.

Phew, needed something to go right this year.

EP
    Essex the dryest part of the country.

JCB_3230

Rubbed out more ears today.. not changed my opinion, national wheat crop will be below 10m best advice is, do not sell another grain, till you know what you have got

clover

What yield reduction from the average should we expect?

tw15

i recon alot of w wheat wont do more than 2 and a half tons an acre :cry:

Archie

Been roguing the last few days and it's not good.

About a quarter of the grains on the wheat ears are gone with fusarium and spring barleys have 2-4 blind or infected grains each.

Flag leaves all still green as leeks so hopefully the remaining grains will compensate a bit but think I could be looking at wheat back 20% and barley 10-15%

Pity as from the road the wheats looks like a 4t crop but nearer 3t will be more like it.

Jim Bullock

Some wheat was cut in Worcestershire today...sub 2tons/acre @25%MC....good land and a very much "on the ball" grower.

Harvest is going to be a complete nightmare this year (already is with the OSR) because most of our wheat has about 25% of grains in the ears ready to harvest now (top of the ear)...yet further down the grains are still green, the flag leaves and the stems are still quite green...if we spray off with glyphosate we will kill off the remaining grains which just might fill and make up for a bit of lost yield......no hope of any home-saved seed this year..so looks like a lot of spring crops for 2013...wheat, rape -because I think we may well be too late to get any winter varieties sown and spring beans if there is any seed available. We might just get some winter wheat in after our OSR.

essexpeasant

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer III View Post
    Out of curiosity, what were protein, specific weight, hagberg and YIELD like, compared to 'normal'.
    12.2 - 76 - 340 - 15% above our normal, which is not far from the UK normal - but I fear we are in the best of it first.

The main thing about this crop is it enabled me to fulfill and EDQ 1st week august contract signed up in April at a price so low it pains me to type it here. The default was a very frightening 210 a tonne whihc wou;d have left me with sub 100 a tonne.

The interesting thing was the merchant sent a rep out on wed to check I had the crop in store ready to load but they still havent taken it.

As for us being the driest part of the country, we may well be the least wet but it still reads

April 4"
    May 3"
    June 3"
    July 4"

and strangely I'm not rounding those up,

if we get 3-4" in august I think I might just give the land a rest for a year. I've had enough of tow ropes already.

Pip, pip.

EP

Andrew Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by essexpeasant View Post
    12.2 - 76 - 340 - 15% above our normal, which is not far from the UK normal - but I fear we are in the best of it first.

The main thing about this crop is it enabled me to fulfill and EDQ 1st week august contract signed up in April at a price so low it pains me to type it here. The default was a very frightening 210 a tonne whihc wou;d have left me with sub 100 a tonne.

The interesting thing was the merchant sent a rep out on wed to check I had the crop in store ready to load but they still havent taken it.

As for us being the driest part of the country, we may well be the least wet but it still reads

April 4"
    May 3"
    June 3"
    July 4"

and strangely I'm not rounding those up,

if we get 3-4" in august I think I might just give the land a rest for a year. I've had enough of tow ropes already.

Pip, pip.

EP
    Crikey EP,

It shows the difference across the other side of the county,we have had

April 138.5mm
    May 83.7mm
    June 125mm
    July 131.5mm

Total 478.7mm in our part of West Essex.

www.eppingweather.co.uk

marsh_bor

Attachment 35518

Attachment 35519

Attachment 35520
    Santiago drilled end oct early Nov, have come unstuck last couple of seasons as a late driller tho but never seems to take that much harm on the average.
    Not rushing to grease binder.

Clive

not sure fusarium is our only problem now - torrential rain all through flowering seems to mean that many grain sites are blind

it's not going to be a great harvest I fear and there are a lot of farmers that don't look closely at their crops in for a BIG shock ! :cry:

clover

How big a shock ? 25% less yield than their 5 year average ?

spikeislander

I would be happy with 25%! Wheats that looked like being our biggest yielders ever have gone. If we can do 3 ton average I will be happy as, but sadly 2.5 might be closer.

DM

I see the FW has finally got up to speed and is reporting this now

Have noticed on spring barleys that had fusarium showing on grains 2-3 weeks ago that these grains have all but shrivelled up and now appear as blind grains within the ear.

Probably no bad thing, better not there at all than contaminating the sample.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by clover View Post
    How big a shock ? 25% less yield than their 5 year average ?
    I fear it might be worse than that !

Jon9000

Im hoping for a 2.5 tonnes to tbe acre!!

TexelBurger

Last year was exceptional this year will be the same but for opposite reasons,from the sublime to the ridiculous.As i said a few weeks ago ,farmers who hadn't had a close look at their wheat are in for a big shock,their just beginning to realise now.
    The only plus i can take so far is that i haven't sold any forward,i can't explain why i didn't as i usually do but thank God for small mercies.
    Still think we in the wet west will be 50% down from last year.

chalky

It never ceases to amaze me how oblivious many growers are to what is happening in fields that they count upon for their livelihood! Couple of weeks ago I was told that a chap wouldnt do 11t/ha, probably more like 10 because of the poor summer. When asked if he had had a look about recently, the answer was '' they looked fantastic in March''!!!

Issue is obviously date, region/latitude & variety specific. Friends up north not as badly effected, we have Grafton that is desperate, some Conqueror not much better, some Santiago not too bad. Flowering period & the weather. Older members will remember the issues with Moulin flowering in dull conditions and the following disaster.

Over 1600 acres of wheat, if we do over 5000T I will be amazed, if we do 4000T I will be devastated but not surprised. I hope I am pleasantly surprised!! I dont want to think about any less in the sheds!

essexpeasant

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kerr View Post
    Crikey EP,

It shows the difference across the other side of the county,we have had

April 138.5mm
    May 83.7mm
    June 125mm
    July 131.5mm

Total 478.7mm in our part of West Essex.

www.eppingweather.co.uk
    I bow to your superior misery ( I might add you lot in alpine west essex drain your effluent into low lying east essex)

www.effingweather.co.uk

honest john

I was looking though my diary yesterday. We finished planting spuds june 2nd. The night of the 3rd was wet over the next 2 weeks it was cold and wet i tipped out 70mm on 15th. So not huge ammount but very little dry weather.So at boot spliting it was damp wet. The first dry day was Cerials on the Wednesday when T3 was started. Then it was wet after Cerials. I am thinking the damage was done befor T3s went on. Thoughts.

pig fighter

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    . Thoughts.
    Looking at some Aussi stuff they are very aware of the importance of fusarium in irrigated wheat and appreciate that infection takes place over the whole flowering period. They try to shorten the time in danger by minimising tillering which produces a crop that flowers longer than one made up of non tillered plants. To this end use high seed rates, drill deeper and avoid early spring N. For us this year rape took ages to finish flowering and I guess wheat did too which left it open to infection much more than usual.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    Looking at some Aussi stuff they are very aware of the importance of fusarium in irrigated wheat and appreciate that infection takes place over the whole flowering period. They try to shorten the time in danger by minimising tillering which produces a crop that flowers longer than one made up of non tillered plants. To this end use high seed rates, drill deeper and avoid early spring N. For us this year rape took ages to finish flowering and I guess wheat did too which left it open to infection much more than usual.
    we used high seed rates (200kg in sept !) and were late with 1st N but still have Fusarium

I just think there was nothing that you could do this year

devils advocate

Re: Combinables Prices

My spring barley has 60% mouldy grains in the ear. Much less where the crop is poorer & more where the crop (was) very lush.

sorry wrong thread mods please move it to fusarium thread.

kpa

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    we used high seed rates (200kg in sept !) and were late with 1st N but still have Fusarium

I just think there was nothing that you could do this year
    Maybe move to the Southeast