Thread: Arc welding cast ?

Arc welding cast ?

I have been asked by a friend if I can weld a cast bit of exhaust pipe. It's off an IH 956 I think and it's the bendy bit that fits onto the exhaust manifold. It's years since I welded cast iron and I only have arc to work with. I have some cast rods. I seem to remember something about heating the cast up (with gas ? - which I can do) prior to welding. It's about 4-5mm thick and fits together perfectly.. Do I vee it out first or just weld it up ? Do I use low amps or high ?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Re: Arc welding cast ?

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I have been asked by a friend if I can weld a cast bit of exhaust pipe. It's off an IH 956 I think and it's the bendy bit that fits onto the exhaust manifold. It's years since I welded cast iron and I only have arc to work with. I have some cast rods. I seem to remember something about heating the cast up (with gas ? - which I can do) prior to welding. It's about 4-5mm thick and fits together perfectly.. Do I vee it out first or just weld it up ? Do I use low amps or high ?

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
    Our man Flint welded some cast sprockets on our separator back a long, he put a vee in it, he obviously had cast rods, he said he had the the welder on 125-130, and welded "slower" than he normally would, he did not heat the sprockets first,
    hed cracked one of the sprockets across the flanges where the bolts that hold em to the shaft are, welded the flanges back on,, they be still there,,

ps,can you find a bit of scrap cast and have a practice ??
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Thanks BV, that is very helpful. Yes, I thought I'd have a look round for a bit of cast and have a go with that first. Might have a bit of cast downspout somewhere although that will be a fair bit thinner. Thanks again.

Definitely V it out and while you're at it clean back a bit either side of the V. I know rust free isn't as big an issue with stick as mig but if you don't get a perfect bead it'll reduce the amount of slag pockets within the bead. It'll also help if you want /need to do a couple of overlapping runs to strengthen it.

Regarding current and speed, I'd just play it by ear as you tend to do with any real world welding ensuring maximum penetration without burning a hole in it!

The thing you have to remember about casting is that it is not a homogeneous thing, the mixes vary considerably depending on the job it's doing and while some things weld just fine one of the most difficult castings I've welded was an IH manifold!

Not trying to dishearten but forewarned is forearmed etc.

Good luck.

Thank you WRSNI for your advice. The job was for a friend of mine who has a loader on his 956 and he caught a tree branch and it came down the loader booms. I hadn't actually got any cast rods so my friend went and acquired a few. They had got 6013 written on them and I don't actually think that they were the right rods for the job. Anyway, I vee'd it all out and cleaned up either side of the vee as best as I could but because the break was on the bend with a strenthening piece there were nooks & crannies everywhere and so I wasn't able to do as good a job as I would have liked.

I welded it up and it didn't weld quite like I remember cast welding although it's at least 10 years since I welded any cast. But I got a good bead on first time and I bunged up one end, put the airline in the other and put it in a bucket of water. Only a couple of very small streams of bubbles and so I dribbled a bit more on those places and stopped any leakage. My only sadness was that the weld wasn't pretty but at least it's under the bonnet and so with a bit of luck no one will see it.

the weld wasn't pretty
    I served my time in the electricity industry. Back then (mid 70's) there was plenty of taxpayers money to waste in the service industries so our first year was spent training in every trade within the service so as a result I spent three months in full time welding training. We used to have competitions amongst ourselves to see who could do the longest run where the slag lifted off in one piece and measure the distance between the ripples on the surface and such sillyness. Then one day I mentioned to our instructor that I was a country boy and even though I was destined for greater things in the service, that I would be keeping up my welding at home and could make great use of it. He waited to lunchtime and quietly took me aside and told me to forget all the fancy stuff and he would start and give me some proper training. Henceforth he started giving me all the homers to do, told me to bring in anything that was lying about home, even brought stuff in himself, and then the rules changed. Pretty was out the window and strength was everything!

Sounds like you done a grand job!

I hope the job works out O.K. Payment is tomorrow night in the pub. The repair came with a concrete guarantee. I told him that the guarantee lasted while it was on the concrete in my yard. As soon as it left my yard it was null and void.

I hope the job works out O.K. Payment is tomorrow night in the pub. The repair came with a concrete guarantee. I told him that the guarantee lasted while it was on the concrete in my yard. As soon as it left my yard it was null and void.
    I really admire self confidence!
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I really admire self confidence!
    jack caley
    Thanks Jack. But you know how litigious some people can be these days. Best not to take any chances.