Thread: Jones baler mk10

Jones baler mk10

Back to the baler again we have just changed the roller bearings , put it back together and when we started it up it jammed and broke the chain , we realized that when I put the needles back on they were not correct so that jammed the baler , we sorted that out and repaired the chain ,and from one of the posts on this forum we though we had the timing right we started making some straw bales after a few attempts we thought we had it right ,we made five bales but tried to tight the bales and the the ram hit the needles really bent them was because we tighten the bales too tight or what did happen ,I would be very grateful if some one could throw sort light on the problem
    thanks

Byron

Re: Jones baler mk10

Sounds like the timing is out. When you get it all back together, you need someone to turn the flywheel slowly by hand while you trip the knotter and watch what is happening. Timing is crucial. Make sure the knotter brake disc is free from oil and grease.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Not familiar with Jones but is there not a ram stop to prevent the ram hitting the needles?

Sounds like it's not working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Sounds like the timing is out. When you get it all back together, you need someone to turn the flywheel slowly by hand while you trip the knotter and watch what is happening. Timing is crucial. Make sure the knotter brake disc is free from oil and grease.
    Thanks for your reply , there is a very old thread on this forum telling how to time the mk 10 which we tried to follow ,but was a little confusing I will try to find it again

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Timing is crucial.
    Can't be emphasised enough!

Find out the correct settings (purchase a manual if necessary!), start from scratch and time everything in order. Yes there will be chain stretch to account for but this will be done in the tolerance within the settings themselves.

What I would add is that the baler can run and bale to a degree even when timed incorrectly so just because it's working don't assume that it's right. I recently purchased my own baler for the first time and it run and baled first time I tried it, but being a mechanical nerd and having been given the original factory manual with the baler I couldn't leave it alone. Turned out every setting in the baler was out, needle timing alone was out by two full teeth!, and although the baler had been working, what a difference when everything was set and/or timed correctly.

But get a manual, that's what they're produced for, and don't guess!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JONES-BAL...4AAOxyn~pRzWlD

Not sure whether there are any settings in the operator's manual
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post

Find out the correct settings (purchase a manual if necessary!), start from scratch and time everything in order. Yes there will be chain stretch to account for but this will be done in the tolerance within the settings themselves.

What I would add is that the baler can run and bale to a degree even when timed incorrectly so just because it's working don't assume that it's right. I recently purchased my own baler for the first time and it run and baled first time I tried it, but being a mechanical nerd and having been given the original factory manual with the baler I couldn't leave it alone. Turned out every setting in the baler was out, needle timing alone was out by two full teeth!, and although the baler had been working, what a difference when everything was set and/or timed correctly.

Thanks I have ordered the manual , how do I find the thread which is very old ?

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post

I have a manual but if we can follow it is another thing ,
    if I had it in the being we would been alright what we did not know was that there was adjustment in the fixing of the needles ,and that caused the start of our problems

Quote Originally Posted by BYRON View Post
    I have a manual but if we can follow it is another thing ,
    I actually was surprised at how relatively simple a baler is, then again, mechanics is my thing so it was all familiar stuff just on a larger scale.

If you can't follow the manual then you need to get someone to set it up for you, but I expect you probably know that by now anyway!