Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Perkins 203 running rich.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CORNWALL
    Posts
    144

    Perkins 203 running rich.

    Hi all i have a perkins 203 engine that seems to be running rich on tickover, starts an go well but on tick over it is running harsh with a little grayish smoke but the funneyest thing is if i pull the lever on the lift pump she runs beautifilley with not a sign of smoke, it has the hydrulick govener on the pump as fitted to the perkins land rover conversions, thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,176

    Re: Perkins 203 running rich.

    Has it got a heater unit supplied with fuel on the air intake manifold?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CORNWALL
    Posts
    144

    Re: Perkins 203 running rich.

    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Has it got a heater unit supplied with fuel on the air intake manifold?
    Yes it has but i have checked that by disconnecting it
    , any idea why it should run fine when i hold the lift pump primer lever up thanks for the reply.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    563

    Re: Perkins 203 running rich.

    Quote Originally Posted by MISTERTUBBY2 View Post
    Yes it has but i have checked that by disconnecting it
    , any idea why it should run fine when i hold the lift pump primer lever up thanks for the reply.
    On gasoline engines, that is often the sign of an intake leak.

    Take a can of WD40 and spray some around the intake gaskets to see if there is a difference in how the engine runs (should start to smoke).

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CORNWALL
    Posts
    144

    Re: Perkins 203 running rich.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    On gasoline engines, that is often the sign of an intake leak.

    Take a can of WD40 and spray some around the intake gaskets to see if there is a difference in how the engine runs (should start to smoke).
    Thanks for the reply ,this is a diesel engine i dont think your idea would work thanks anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •