Thread: Manitou LSU "fault"

Manitou LSU "fault"

Called out to an electrical fault on the Manitou last week, operator was blaming the Vapormatic immobiliser which was nonsense as it did start!

When I got to it it would start but the LSU joystick was dead, the steering, PUH and 2-4-crab steering modes were all dead plus the single didgit red indicator light for the gearchange was flashing all sort of silly figures depending on which button or service you operated! So having checked for an alternator belt and blown fuses, I thought best to check its not gone down with the dreaded Manitou right angle gearbox loss of drive fault- no torque converter and possibly no hydraulics? Plate off under bellhousing, no all good there.

Next step was to get a notepad and methodically list what services were or were not working to see if their was a connection to them all, or more likely, ready to get on the blower to the Manitou Man While running through the services the LSU joystick caught my eye, or rather one of the two small buttons that move gears up or down, one of them seemed to look a bit lower than the other and sure enough it turned out that it was stuck down with some dirt/muck visible down inside the button and is hole it sat in! So out with the airline and a good blow around both switches, start it up and hey presto, fault gone!!

Obviously all these had to be connected through an ECU and on startup it was a case of "computer says no!" because of one stuck on switch.................

The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Manitou LSU "fault"

Murphy's Law #23 Section 19.

Surprised you didn't check that first. such a common problem

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 13-08-18 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Replaced stick tongue out
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Murphy's Law #23 Section 19.

Surprised you didn't check that first. such a common problem

JV

Back to base then?

Seems V didn't plan enough travelling into that getaway by the sounds of things
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Back to base then?
    Seems V didn't plan enough travelling into that getaway by the sounds of things
    Back to base. Carcase is here; brain is still coming

On the contrary, we were both heartily sick of travelling a week ago.

For the interest of BFF readers: We boarded a Cathay Pacific A330 at HK at 1810hrs on Sunday, and at 1900 were told that 63.8 tonnes of fuel had been loaded, but 20 mins later 1.5t had disappeared from the two inboard tanks - but not onto the tarmac.

Techs came & swapped the two computers which control those tanks, but the fault remained. I was not surprised; as I understand, digital stuff either works or it doesn't, but analogue - which I suspect the sensors are - can give false readings, but still apparently work. Since both tanks were affected, my guess is that there was a faulty earth connection which was common to both tanks. (How many times have BFFers fixed problems by cleaning earth connections?)

We de-planed, and were due to embark on an A350-900 - but that was unserviceable for reasons unknown so we trudged off to another gate. We finally departed HK at 0130 in another A350-900 which had been hurriedly made ready. They had to move us by bus to the plane on the tarmac coz the it was not even at a gate.

Needless to say, we missed our original connection to Hobart, by Cathay Pacific staff were very attentive all through.

Here endeth this traveller's tale.

JV
    Last edited by john maddock; 14-08-18 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Called out to an electrical fault on the Manitou last week, operator was blaming the Vapormatic immobiliser which was nonsense as it did start!

When I got to it it would start but the LSU joystick was dead, the steering, PUH and 2-4-crab steering modes were all dead plus the single didgit red indicator light for the gearchange was flashing all sort of silly figures depending on which button or service you operated! So having checked for an alternator belt and blown fuses, I thought best to check its not gone down with the dreaded Manitou right angle gearbox loss of drive fault- no torque converter and possibly no hydraulics? Plate off under bellhousing, no all good there.

Next step was to get a notepad and methodically list what services were or were not working to see if their was a connection to them all, or more likely, ready to get on the blower to the Manitou Man While running through the services the LSU joystick caught my eye, or rather one of the two small buttons that move gears up or down, one of them seemed to look a bit lower than the other and sure enough it turned out that it was stuck down with some dirt/muck visible down inside the button and is hole it sat in! So out with the airline and a good blow around both switches, start it up and hey presto, fault gone!!

Obviously all these had to be connected through an ECU and on startup it was a case of "computer says no!" because of one stuck on switch.................

To be fair i would have sent you off on a wild goose chase cause i not had one do that yet! Your driver must have some grubby hands!

You sure that 90 deg gearbox is okay? Think you should buy one as a 'just in case' ☺ i still got a few left😆